August: Osage County Reviews

• 5d ago

Not sure how this is listed as a comedy-drama...just plain boring, lacked a depth of any character & it felt as if I was watching a continuous screaming match

• Jun 27, 2019

Waited and waited for something to happen. Watched orginally because of the execellent cast line up but boring.......DRAG......

• Dec 06, 2018

12/6/2018 The density of acting prowess in this film is immense, of course skewed ever so slightly by the most nominated actress of all time. That dinner scene was the stuff of legends.

• Aug 28, 2018

La actuación de Streep bien vale todas las estrellas

La actuación de Streep bien vale todas las estrellas

• Aug 08, 2018

If you're not a fan of dark movies, then I can see why you'd dislike August: Osage County. This film is quite depressing and not really a comedy at all, so don't expect it to be. The acting is stellar, especially from Meryl Streep. Some of the greatest monologues ever delivered. The music and cinematography are beautiful and work excellently together. If you dislike this movie for being 'too miserable' I ask you to think whether or not spending time with your family (or a family like this) can be all love and no pain.

• Jul 20, 2018

- Family dynamics explode in August: Osage County - I watched August: Osage County three times at the movies (no judgment please, it's a thing I do) and on the second occasion I went with my whole family. I was particularly interested in my Dad's reaction. Let's just say that one of the main characters has eerily similar qualities to someone he knows and I sat near him to feel his response. The story revolves around the Weston Family, as they flock together in the great plains of Oklahoma to mourn the suicide of their own. As family secrets are revealed, the building tensions between matriarch Violet (Meryl Streep) and her three daughters (Julia Roberts, Juliette Lewis and Julianne Nicholson) is nothing short of horrendous to watch. To see an eclectic bunch of women in the same house, going through their own individual problems, was one of the greatest experiences of my movie watching life. They are complicated and battle with themselves and the madhouse environment in which they were brought up in. The performances are excellent. I was moved by how the actors stripped down to their bones to play these women with utmost authenticity. A theme running through August: Osage County, is women's place in society, be it in the kitchen, looking after a man, or raising the kids. Violet is the poison-tongued center of this discussion. She's also at the heart of the movie's homophobia and racism. Violet's deep intolerance is revealed with lines like "I have an Indian in my house. I don't know what to say to an Indian." The Indian she's speaking of is Johnna (Misty Upham). Silent Johnna. She's hired to look after Violet's health and yet Violet openly resents her. This element of the story is deeply problematic. It asks us to look at the face of racism, not feel contempt for it, just accept it as part of Violet's character. I'm gonna be honest, it's tough to swallow. Each character in August: Osage County makes their own decision in staying or going. And although I can't relate to that, my Dad can. After the movie, I walked to the car with him and asked, "did that remind you of anyone?" He gave me a smile and said "thank goodness I found your mum and her family." I smiled and said, "me too." We didn't need to identify who it was that triggered that memory. In that smallest of moments, we both acknowledged that his upbringing was a lot different than mine. There is the family that we are born into and the family that we choose. And sometimes it takes seeing someone else's toxic family to realize how lucky I am. ---------- This review was first published on Narrative Muse, http://www.narrativemuse.co/movies/august-osage-county. Narrative Muse curates the best books and movies by and about women and non-binary folk on our website http://narrativemuse.co and our social media channels.

• Jul 02, 2018

Love Meryl and Julia - very strongly disliked this film. When I watch movies I really only care if it is good or not, I don't care about stellar performances because frankly they are so few and far between any more. Almost did not finish watching the whole thing...I kept waiting for it to get good. I don't like to have dysfunction in my life at all even in movies. I found zero entertainment value in this film. I am extremely happy I did not purchase this title or pay to see it in the theatre.

• Jun 16, 2018

Meryl is perfect, as always. Julia Roberts portrayed a character I'd never seen her portray before and made me actually dislike her for quite a while! The entire ensemble was phenomenal and each character was portrayed perfectly by their actor/actress. I just can't recommend this movie enough to people.

• Mar 28, 2018

Both emotional and funny.

Both emotional and funny.

• Mar 12, 2018

i love it!,meryl streep and julia roberts give probably best performances in career