Avatar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avatar Reviews

July 23, 2017
Brilliantly shot and directed, Avatar wildly succeeds as an immersive, imaginative spectacle of breathtaking visuals and exciting action adventure.
July 23, 2017
Incredible on all levels. Visuals, story line, character build, concept, and outside-in view of planet earth. My favourite movie of all time, up there with The Matrix.
July 21, 2017
Personally Avatar isn't one of my all-time favorites, but it's wonderful groundbreaking visual effects, and great performances that proved motion capture is so much more than animation, Avatar broke new grounds and is an amazing film.
July 19, 2017
At 83%, I'm surprised its rated so low...in my book, it is probably in the top 5 sci fi flicks of all time.
½ July 15, 2017
The technique and the images shown on the big screen are one of these which really benefit from 3-D, visually extraordinary. However, that's about it, since Cameron appears to be satisfied by this visual spectacle, not being concerned by neither the banality nor the predictability of the story told. Still, the graphic beauty and the imagination involved in 'Avatar' force me to like it, hiding its holes on other levels. Moreover, the phenomenal success of the film shows another one of its merits - manages to attract all audiences, even not sci-fi fans - a merit also due to its phenomenal budget. So, some of 'Avatar' is great, some banal, but none is bad.
July 13, 2017
CGI driven story of the battle between industry's hunger for control and expansion and the deep interconnection of all nature's beings. The globality of the story hits home in so many levels and can transcend time unless man makes significant changes to it's constant destruction of mother earth. The graphics are intricate and engaging, taking you deep into James Cameron's imaginary Pandora realm.
July 10, 2017
Truly mesmerizing and groundbreaking, Avatar more than makes up for a familiar plot with a dazzling CGI world and grand sci-fi action.
July 9, 2017
The effects haven't held up over the years. The story isn't watchable.

63%
July 3, 2017
James Cameron's "Avatar" will always be regarded as a milestone visual filmmaking. I know that a lot of people say that this movie is too predictable or unoriginal but I just feel such an adrenaline rush every time I watch it. It's visually spectacular and entertaining thought out. The story is one that really moves you and keeps you entertaining. The world that is created in the planet of Pandora is both visually breathtaking and fascinating. It's a blockbuster about respecting people's different beliefs and ultimately an immensely enjoyable film. It amazed me back in 2009, and it is continued to take my breath away with every viewing since then.
½ July 2, 2017
It is an absolutely spectacular film and the visuals are breathtakingly beautiful. As a piece of filmmaking, James Cameron's "Avatar" is a revolutionary film that blurs the line between what's real and what's computer-generated. On the other hand, the story itself is derivative (basically this is "Dances With Wolves" in space") and the villains are poorly developed. If Cameron had spent more time on the story and characters instead of its mind-blowing technology, the finished product could've been a lot more engaging on an emotional level. It is also 20 minutes too long and moves quite slow at times. It's a very entertaining film and clearly made with good intentions. A truly groundbreaking film on a technical level, but it's quite shallow on an emotional level.
June 24, 2017
Simply put, this is a work of art and beautiful thrilling imagination.
June 23, 2017
Avatar is a visually stunning film with great acting. The story is nothing new but it doesn't need to be if it is handled right.
June 20, 2017
A visually stunning film with some unforgettable scenes and unique elements, but sometimes the storyline isn't quite up to the same standard and is reminiscent of other movies. AAN GGWD. 1001
June 18, 2017
Amazing animation and a good storyline. Very entertaining, even after watching over and over with my granddaughter.
½ June 18, 2017
without 3d this movie is not good.
June 16, 2017
Looking back at this film, it is still beautiful visually and the concepts for the film were at least compelling, but it just hits you across the face with it's message. The characters were very cookie-cutter forgettable. Especially the villain, who seemed too cartoony evil when this film really needed a really compelling central villain.
June 12, 2017
This is typical Cameron aside from Aliens. Boring love story, horrible acting,nice graphics. Not enough for me. I will never get those 3 1/2 hours back.
June 6, 2017
6/6/17 - Watched with W. still a great movie.
½ June 3, 2017
If the entire movie had no dialogue I still would have rated it this high on the basis of the visuals. Pandora is an incredibly realistic and beautiful planet. Infact, the only thing that didn't look real were the Na'vi, in the sense that you could tell they were digitally created. The other fictional creatures of Pandora looked amazing. Absolutely breathtaking, the occasional cheesy line is forgiven