Avatar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avatar Reviews

½ March 25, 2017
I didn't find a moment of the movie to be believable. Cameron spent millions on the look and nothing on the story. Waste of time.
½ March 18, 2017
Technical masterpiece. But I don't see the point of this film.
½ March 16, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: There's no doubt a hat must be tipped to James Cameron for delivering something as original yet wholely well-realised as this. Yes 'Avatar's' incredible world-building (aided by ground-breaking visual effects) and in-depth characters bring its experience to life extremelly well, and the result is a place that feels so real, yet so fantastic at the same time. Thankfully it doesn't loose its intent either, as it's able to delve into some interesting ideas, and keep a visual gasp waiting round every corner.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It feels very long indeed; too long in fact, and that's mostly because the story loses a lot of drive once it gets in deep.
VERDICT: An impressively fleshed out - if dragged out - piece of film making from a guy who most definitely knows what he's doing.
½ March 12, 2017
I understand what haters hate the most of this movie... the money, the good characters, the plot, the excellent visual effects and the incredible cast. Just because a movie has excellent production budget doesn't mean that is lame. I honestly believe this movie is one of the best histories made -for -movies
March 12, 2017
This film reflects North American history, it's well made.
March 8, 2017
I was about 11 when it was released and first saw it with my dad. Throughout the years I kept coming back to it though. Thi movie can truly be called a piece of art. The images are exceptional, the idea is unique, Zoe Saldana just blown me away, and being honest, you couldn't expect less from James Cameron.
March 5, 2017
Good movie. It's one you watch every few years though.
March 5, 2017
It was visualy stunning...but the story has been done much better..i actually was a tad underwhelmed because of the hype for it.. but it wasnt bad...
i love sci fi .. so for me it was good...not great .. but good
½ March 4, 2017
The directing is amazing, the world is great and it is very beautiful. And that's all that it has going for it. The script is good, but the story itself has been made to death. You can predict it from the first to the last minute. The acting is kinda good, but by making it one of the highest grossing movies and with it getting so many awards it just says, yes, we want more of this story. To which I answer NO. I do not want to see films that I know what is gonna happen from the first to the last minute. The big thing of the movie is "I wanna be there". There is almost nothing more to it.
February 18, 2017
over rated for what it is.
February 15, 2017
Avatar is a great and unbreakable film. This is
So Brilliant! Me and My dad in the cinema. He's gonna love this too.
February 8, 2017
Sem palavras... Simplesmente uma experiência cinematográfica única. Sem igual. Um filme inteligente em sua concepção por não tentar fazer o espectador se perder em um roteiro complicado demais. A ideia aqui é impressionar visualmente; portanto, nada mais certo do que dar prioridade à imagem entregando uma história que é simples, mas muitíssimo bem-contada por sinal!
February 2, 2017
A movie that's pretty to look at and that's it because it's completely unoriginal and HORRIBLY written.
½ February 2, 2017
For being 10 times the amount of money I would normally spend on a movie, I had hoped that this would be worth it. As per my previous stance on 3-D, I was hesitant on going to this film when it first came out. However, since I did some reading up on what forces went on behind this film, I decided to give the 3-D experience a try. What an experience it was! I can see why the film industry was really pushing for more movies to be in 3-D because it is spectacular. The glasses weren't uncomfortable, and if you took them off for a second, it wasn't a terrible color-shifted image, it was just slightly blurry. Although, one thing that 3-D cinema is going to have to fix is to have more things in focus. You can't rely on previous film-making techniques here.

At any rate, if you can get over the blatantly anti-corporation and anti-military message, it's really quite a good movie and should be seen due at least to the fact that this is the reason James Cameron got into making movies in the first place. We can all blame him for ripping off Dances with Wolves (1990) or Pocahontas (1995) but if you can get past that, there's a great movie here, regardless.

What really stands out with this film is its visuals. Despite the amount of CGI used to create the fictional world of Pandora, it's incredibly difficult to tell what is CGI and what is merely a human in front of a green screen. Just by the strength of these visuals alone, this film should be viewed by movie aficionados. Not only was the 3-D technology used to film it revolutionary, but the facial mapping techniques really helped bring these actors to life in their blue, alien bodies.

A stunning visual treat that has yet to be matched, I give Avatar 4.5 stars out of 5.
February 1, 2017
A masterpiece of thrilling high energy entertainment! One of the most epic and mind blowing action adventures of our time!
January 23, 2017
rip off from a combination of The Smurfs Pocahontas and the matrix's here's my reason why the Smurfs because that blue creatures that lives in trees The Matrix because they tap into this world through some kind of Technology and Pocahontas because the plot of the movie the plot. special effects were good though.
January 19, 2017
Despite my appreciation of all the good things about this movie I only occasionally return to it. Maybe it's the length, maybe it's the "unobtainium" however, I do nonetheless like it.
½ January 17, 2017
When the filmmaker behind the highest-grossing film of all-time takes twelve years off to develop his next film, the bar is set pretty high. Titanic's Jim Cameron set out to revolutionize movies with immersive 3-D technology which promised to be unlike anything audiences had ever seen. Since its release, Avatar has drawn enormous crowds; word-of-mouth and repeat viewings have lead, within a mere twenty days, to its claiming the title of 2nd-highest grossing film of all time worldwide.

Some conservative groups have blasted what they believe is the film's environmental extremism, with the Vatican's film critic saying that it worships creation instead of the Creator. Others have blasted it for perceived racism, with the "white savior" rescuing indigenous peoples. Some have said that the film is anti-military. Most claim, however, that it is simply great entertainment. In my opinion, the truth of all these claims is somewhere in the middle.

Regular readers may notice that I almost never divulge any plot information in my reviews. I don't like to read reviews that give away large chunks of narrative; I've never felt it was the critic's job to tell me the story, and I'll pay you the same courtesy. I will say, first and foremost, that the film is neither the political lightning rod some have made it out to be, nor is it worthy of the hype and box-office its receiving (I can think of many movies that deserve a wider audience). It is, however, constantly entertaining and artistically stunning.

Everything you've heard about the visuals is true. This is not CGI (computer-generated images) for just for the sake of it, nor is the 3D merely a gimmick. Cameron has succeeded in created a completely immersive new world. These are not special effects; this is art. The 3D serves to truly make viewers feel as if they were on a glorious foreign planet, with its own ecosystem and amazing wildlife.

Likewise, Cameron knows how to stage action, and the adventure/combat sequences are truly thrilling. The narrative is fine, but not as impressive. The derivative script borrows heavily from Dances With Wolves, Disney's Pocahontas, The Last Samurai, Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, and even Return of the Jedi.

Though the heroes are interesting enough, the villains are mostly one-dimensional. Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver do fine work, as do several others, but the only truly exceptional acting is by Zoe Saldana (Star Trek) who plays the princess of an alien tribe. Her work, via motion capture, conveys rich, tender, and savage emotion. So skillfully does she portray both the humanity and the strangeness of an imaginary race that the audience connects with her more than any of the human characters. She, and the rest of the alien tribe, are utterly convincing.

As for the controversy, the film does take a strong stance about protecting and conserving the environment. The claim by the Vatican's movie critic, that the film worships creation instead of the Creator, could be valid if it weren't so obviously fantasy. Its theology works in its imagined universe the same as The Force does in Star Wars.

I take a more moderate stance than the film does on conservation, as it paints those who mine natural resources as greedy at best and evil at worst. That said, any message about honoring and preserving nature is worthwhile. Also, On a different level, the story can be enjoyed by those who see it as a tale of a group nobly defending their homes, wives, children, and beliefs from those who seek only to conquer.

The claims of racism are, I think, unfounded. Like The Last Samurai, Pocahontas, and Dances With Wolves, Avatar takes a narrow-minded white man, immerses him in a foreign environment, and allows him a change of heart as he comes to appreciate the culture and way of life of his enemy. Unoriginal maybe, but hardly racist.

Because the story and characters are only moderately engaging, Avatar fails to live up to the hype. However, as an action film and a soulful artistic achievement, it is a terrific work that ought not to be missed.
January 9, 2017
Sad a lot, but a happy ending! First time watching upscaled to 4k..pretty!
January 9, 2017
Visually amazing and good plot. But the same "white man saves the natives" cliche