Babar - The Movie Reviews

• Feb 16, 2014

Won't entertain anyone but the youngest (sub 5 years old) viewer

Won't entertain anyone but the youngest (sub 5 years old) viewer

• Nov 04, 2013

I watch this move on Disney Channel when I was 10/11 year old but its was good animated movie based on children book series, and TV series too

• Sep 03, 2013

I was quite surprised that one of my early childhood favorite movies was not only tolerable but also still fun to watch. I got a kick out of the songs again and it really brought back some memories. (First viewing - Childhood)

• May 13, 2013

"Babar" was one of my favorite movies as a child. But it's not the sort of movie that you love forever.

• Jan 22, 2013

A MUST SEE BEFORE YOU DIE!!!

A MUST SEE BEFORE YOU DIE!!!

• Mar 22, 2011

Jean de Brunhoff's books of a young pachyderm's adventures have been favorites of children for years, so it was inevitable that a feature would be made. Produced by Nelvana Studios in Canada, this movie premiered in the summer of 1989, sometime while a similar TV series was having its run on TV. While the series captures the spirit of the books fairly well, this film is a bit of a different matter. It's an INDIANA JONES/CROCODILE DUNDEE hybrid action-adventure in which Babar and Celeste must protect their homeland from an invasion by rhinos. It's pleasant enough family fare for the most part, with a couple of catchy musical numbers (the best being the sprightly "Comittee Song"), but there are a couple of scenes that may be too scary for the very young, particularly when an elephant village is torched and its citizens captured and enslaved. The animation is serviceable for the most part, effectively capturing the illustrations of the books, although it is somewhat limited compared to more luscious films. My only quibble is its continuity with the series; the rhinoceros Rataxes, for instance, is portrayed in the film as a bloodthirsty, ruthless villain, while in the series he's much more complex. (It should also be known that his lady and assistant Basil are absent as well.) For what it is, BABAR THE MOVIE is good fun overall, although its ideal audience is solely viewers under the age of eleven, not everyone.

• Frisby 2 Super Reviewer
    Nov 12, 2010

It was an enjoyable movie when I was a kid, but paying attention to it now it's rather violent for kids. But hey, i also has good morals to teach the kids as well ;) I still enjoy the movie. A good family movie.

• Apr 03, 2010

Damn this is yet another childhood movie that i use to watch ALL the time!!

Damn this is yet another childhood movie that i use to watch ALL the time!!

• Oct 24, 2009

Good movie really i mean if all cartoons in the world were just about humans what fun is that? I mean its called fantasy cartoon for a reason hahaha but was a really really great show. still watchin it now :D

• Aug 03, 2009

A lovely movie which I saw many times as a young child, it teaches good morals, and is enjoyable for adults as well.