Bad Education - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bad Education Reviews

April 17, 2018
Typical Almodovar's work with good actings.
January 4, 2018
Male education is one of the most controversial films that I have seen. Gael Garcia Bernal is one of my favorite actors and he proves it in this film. This is a very disturbing film and very twisted at the end. This film delivers the goods in all aspects and is going down as one of the best performances of Gael Garcia Bernal. As that being said for this movie being great and seeing how Mexican movies are being hits in the states, I give " Bad Education " a C.
December 25, 2017
F

8.1

[Pedro Almodóvar]
½ October 15, 2017
Only Pedro Almodóvar can blend psychopath, forbidden love and criticisms on the hypocritical Catholic Church together while maintaining his style of complexity and lustful manner. Great performance from Gael García Bernal.
May 26, 2017
Brilliant movie. ð??? ð??? ð??? ð??? ð???
½ February 10, 2017
Bad Education surpasses all expectations telling this passionate love story with more than a few twist.
½ February 7, 2017
Small Picture : Molestation Movie.
Big Picture : Movie about love, lost innocence and redemption.
Great work by Almodovar, and one of Gael Garcia Bernal's best performance.
January 19, 2017
Mucho tiempo sin verla. Olvidaba lo espectacular que es esta película.
January 16, 2017
Although it took me a long time to get around to seeing it, I think I can safely say that 'Bad Education' is my favorite Almodovar film that I've seen yet!
While maybe not as racy today as it seemed in 2004, this endlessly juicy, surprising, and Hitchcockian film is supreme entertainment.
August 30, 2016
One of my favorite movies, a softspoken masterpiece.
August 16, 2016
Bad Education finds writer-director Pedro Almodóvar at his most personal - and brilliant - experience, delivering a smart, touching, multi-layered drama that is every bit as compelling as it is difficult to watch - and features one of the strongest early performances from Gael García Bernal.
½ July 5, 2016
It isn't until a pair of scheming lovers attends a showing of a 1940s film noir at their local theater that we begin to realize that little about Pedro Almodóvar's "Bad Education" (2004) isn't methodically planned out. Combining the robust style of Alfred Hitchcock, Douglas Sirk, and Brian De Palma with the hedonistic maneuverings of David LaChapelle, it's a thriller so cleverly convoluted and so vigorously in awe of art for art's sake that Almodóvar's own structuring of the film hardly feels like something akin to deliberation.
As his movies seem to weightlessly exist in a parallel universe comprised of Technicolor atmosphere, forlorn subject matter, and emotional garishness, it's scenes like this one that remind us that Almodóvar is as much a film aficionado as he is a maestro of film. Upon departure from the theater, one of the characters remarks that he and his lover aren't much different from the likes of Phyllis Dietrichson and Walter Neff. It's a gratuitous line in a picture so labyrinthine, maybe. But in the context of an Almodóvar film, a moment such as this one is almost a self-referential comment, smartly placed and subtly mocking.
Intentionally, "Bad Education" is, at its core, a hell of a lot like a studio noir from the 1940s, but instead of John Garfield and Lana Turner being showcased as romantic leads, we're presented with John Garfield and Farley Granger tempting one another. And black-and-white photography is pigmented, with social taboos intensified and understated love scenes amplified to graphic proportions. The usage of metafiction (much of the movie's action takes place in a film within a film) has the possibility to pledge indecipherability, but Almodóvar's calculated control delineates the movie as a rousing whodunit of a melodrama. "Bad Education" is a portentously original film; it's one of the best of Almodóvar's thrillingly extravagant career.
It's no wonder that the movie is such a provocative masterpiece: he worked on the screenplay for ten years, and a filmmaker of his caliber can only heighten their own sapience through long-winded contemplation. A highly personal film for the auteur (some of its content is based off of his experiences as a young man), "Bad Education" stars the magnificent Gael García Bernal as Ignacio Rodriguez, an aspiring actor and writer interested in providing the material and acting talent necessary for acclaimed filmmaker Enrique Goded's (Fele Martínez) next project.
His aspiration isn't based in sheer fantasy, though - as he and Enrique were childhood friends (first loves, in fact), there's a sneaking chance that an Ignacio based production could be waiting in the wings so long as the goods are actually good. And they are: soon after Ignacio presents Enrique with his screenplay, "The Visit" (which details a transgender woman's blackmail of a Catholic priest that abused her as an impressionable student), Enrique becomes enraptured with the story - part autobiographical and part soap opera - and is eager to affirm Ignacio's celluloid dreams. Hidden, however, is the deceit that lies beneath his façade of affable ambition.
There are two films that fill the sum of "Bad Education's" parts. One is its "real life" component, in which Ignacio and Enrique are artists of the screen scrounging for something cinematic to slurp up as hair-raising sexual tension rests between them. The other is made up of the events that take place during "The Visit," which is sexually charged, sardonic, and memorably features Bernal playing the dual role of Zahara, a blonde, trans femme who serves as the movie's quasi-heroine.
But the lines between reality and illusion grow increasingly blurred as seemingly imaginary happenings prove to be embedded in a far-reaching truth. "Bad Education" is initially a convulsive drama (with inklings of black comedy) that shifts into the gears of a standard murder mystery, made all the better because its big twist is so impossible to see coming (the film doesn't feel like a thriller for most of its length). Almodóvar is a puppet master, as easily able to manipulate our senses as he is to shifting between subject matters without losing his central preoccupations of broadstroked homage.
And Bernal gives what very well might be the greatest performance to ever call an Almodóvar film home. As both an enigmatic beaut with a few tricks up his sleeve and a metafictional, feisty female, Bernal is tasked with fleshing out an immeasurably complicated dual characterization, only to find victory thanks to beguiling percipience. Almodóvar uses Bernal as if they were Josef Von Sternberg and Marlene Dietrich, always framing his lead in a way that can only be described as both clinically (and artistically) infatuated and lustily exploitative. A fascinating pair, to be certain.
The film surrounding them, too, is a certifiable counterpart to their awe-inspiring devotedness. "Bad Education" at once feels inscrutably intimate and excitingly cinematic - like the majority of the films within Almodóvar's oeuvre, it grabs us by the shirt collar and astounds us in the way it both holds us hostage and genuinely hypnotizes us.
½ June 15, 2016
Not quite up to the standard I have become used to from Almodovar. This is, for once, not about women, but homosexuals. A revenge film that doesn't quite give you the satisfaction that it should.
½ May 23, 2016
The final act(the last 30 minutes or so) of Pedro Almodovar's "La Mala Educacion" is powerful and absorbing and might even make you rethink the whole film.
...which, before that final act, strangely enough, wasn't much. Strangely enough, because the ingredients where there, it's just that the overall result, before the final act, felt as if it was done in a hurry. The layers where there, certainly there were some intriguing elements, but it just wasn't attention-grabbing. It was not bad, just slow and a bit disappointing.

So, overall, I might give this a 3.5 out of 5. With two good acts(opening and ending) , I can forgive the limper middle one. Especially since it didn't take ages.
March 22, 2016
Shocking, bold and unpredictable.
February 2, 2016
I've seen most of Pedro Almodóvar's films and they are often top notch. This is a story that's typical Pedro - a family mystery where there are some twists laying around.

Gael García Bernal plays an actor that's hooking up with an old friend - now movie director. He want something more and he is making several people included in the mix of lies and tricks. It's hard to hang on at times at there are twins, deaths and trans-people everywhere. Lot's of half explicit nude scenes. The gay kind that is.

I like some of the effects and the production. The script is complicated but all right to handle - almost like a modern Hitchcock. Superb acting and some great scenes, but this twisted film is not on my top five list from the director. It's a bit disturbing and I lack some connection with the characters and some real excitement. Maybe there is a bit too much of everything here - there are loads of subplots. Gael García Bernal makes quite a good looking woman though.

6.5 out of 10 lighters.
January 26, 2016
For me, Bad Education represents the shift in style for Almodovar from camp comedy to edgy, often disturbing thriller. There is still plenty of the Almodovar you'd expect but there is something sinister and captivating that hasn't always been present in his previous films. It's certainly been visible since in Volver, Broken Embraces and the disturbing but brilliant The Skin I live In.
December 9, 2015
One of the best work of Pedro Almedor, with themes similar to those of his All About My Mother, he took rather more artistic way to explore the film making by introducing a story with a story. A connection between past and present is the narrative in a fantasized way which is very touching. The bitter taste of the reality in comparison of our memories is very well presented. Pedro never clanged on to his scenes much longer or tried to over dramatized his films which works best for the films length and matches the innocence of younger characters. The scenes in convent are worth praising. Daniel Giménez Cacho's work as a priest dealing with inner demon while in the presence of a child is very beautiful. Rest of the cast were good too.
Best of the movie would be the twist it came with the final character's introduction and explanation of alternate reality as to the one protagonist was imagining. A way to show the strength of the writer.
An emotional, convincing and disturbing work of art.
October 27, 2015
This isn't as surprising as I expected, given the notorious NC-17 rating -- but that shouldn't suggest that Almodovar's film is in any way, disappointing -- it is in fact, a riveting experience with an insightful and compassionate script that features a few clever twists.
September 12, 2015
While the movie suffers from going a little longer than it should, the story is so strong that the fully engaged would hardly notice.