Basic Instinct - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Basic Instinct Reviews

January 3, 2018
A film that was quite controversial upon release is quite tame by today's standards. Sharon Stone is red hot as the vixen in this did she? or didn't she? Her and Michael Douglas actually manage to generate some chemistry and as a thriller it mostly works...due to Stone Vamping it up in one of the most memorable femme fatale roles ever.
Sharon Stone is stunning and the films director knows she is the star.

The film spawned the erotic thriller boom of the 90s but this is still the best.
December 12, 2017
Reminds me of the stuff with the plot twists and murder mystery thriller that's so popular these days. But definitely not as good as Gone Girl.
November 12, 2017
Basic Instinct. This film is directed by Paul Verhoeven who directs Robocop, Total Recall and Showgirls, which I haven't seen Showgirls because I know the film is originally rated NC-17 and they're right and it has too many nudity in the film which I've heard Roger Ebert saying that. He also directs Starship Troopers and Hollow Man. Paul Verhoeven is known for making sex and violence so realistically graphic. He's from Dutchland cause you can tell by his accent. Now Basic Instinct is sort of an Alfred Hitchcock film neo-noir erotic thriller where Michael Douglas's character, Nick Curran who is looking for a killer who killed Johnny Boz. He thinks that Catherine Tramell played by Sharon Stone and she knows everything and she knows anything before something will happen and claims that she didn't kill him because she liked having sex with him. She even been in an interrogation and she does an infamous scene where she uncrossed her legs and, shock alert, she's not wearing any underwear. Big shock, isn't it? Many people have watched it know that it will be shocking even I thought of it as well. The sex scenes are absolutely explicit and shocking, if not the shockiest. The opening scene after the opening credits where Johnny Box and an mysterious women having sex and the one that shocked me is that she stabs him with an icepick. That totally freaked me out! When I watched multiple times, I got over it. Yeah, nothing can go wrong when you watch something and you just get over it. If anyone including my mum had seen it before and know that the title Basic Instinct is memorable then this movie will be a complete polariser. Yeah, I think the third act is far fetched but the writing can't take away the story. If you are somewhat of a fan of this, then I suggest that you will f£$k like minks, raise rugrats and live happily ever after.
September 29, 2017
remember for the uncrossing of her legs lol ok thriller
July 2, 2017
A shining example of greatness and one of the finest movies of the 90's; Basic Instinct is undoubtedly a masterpiece of the thriller genre.
½ June 22, 2017
great neo-noir thriller where the real villain never captured
June 13, 2017
Wow, this was kinda terrible. I had high expectations but it was basically just a ton of gratuitous sex scenes that were more awkward than anything else.
May 12, 2017
There is a lot of sex in this movie!
½ April 9, 2017
A suspended detective who falls in love with a mysterious blonde woman, while a nice brown loves him. Has to fight his past dark mistakes and sins in the sunny San Francisco. And this is not the Vertigo.
April 9, 2017
Basic Instinct continues to keep you on the edge of your seat. Thrilling and suspenseful, plus Sharon Stone is incredibly sensual. Michael Douglas is great in the lead as well.
March 12, 2017
Yes its trashy, filthy, and silly. Its easily the best B movie shlock ever made. The acting in this movie is so over the top, but fun to watch. Just like a train wreck like one critic said. It reminds me of the film noirs of the 40's. Blasphemy!
February 26, 2017
Basic Instinct is campy, schlock-cinema. I was embarrassed throughout the entire film. It's a film set in 1992, written like a cheap knockoff of an Edward G. Robinson 40's film noir, laced with f-bombs. If a throwback was the point, maybe they should've done a much better job. All this film had going for it, and precisely why it was a popular in the 90's was Sharon Stone's sex appeal. She's a beautiful woman, yes. She crossed her legs... OOOOOH HOW SCANDALOUS. Were people really this amused back then?
½ February 11, 2017
believe it or not, but this is the first time i've seen this movie; the only thing i knew about it was the iconic scene everyone talks about, and i'm not sure i really cared for it. didn't seem nearly as riskay as it's reputation holds it to be -- but it is 2017, not 1992. a lot can change in 25 years.
February 2, 2017
Of the better 90s thrillers that came out. Very well done and suspenseful. Very violent and sexual. Ending was predicable though. Worth a watch.
January 19, 2017
As a Douglas super-fan I am a little biased but this was great.
December 23, 2016
A hard core sexy movie.
December 22, 2016
An entertaining suspenseful movie with a few nice twists. Sharon Stone really carries this film.
November 30, 2016
People don't give this movie enough credit. Michael Douglas is a king, strong supporting cast, oh yea and Sharon Stone's beaver.
November 27, 2016
I really enjoyed this film in Blu Ray. This is the first time I have ever actually seen this after it being recommended. Gets you gripped. Great performances from Douglas and Stone. Worth having in your collection. Will watch the second soon and give this a re watch soon