Battle of the Sexes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battle of the Sexes Reviews

½ February 21, 2018
80/100

Emma Stone y Steve Carrell son lo mejor en esa estimable y reivindicativa película que es "Battle of the Sexes", que refleja todo lo sucedido antes y durante ese emblemático partido de tenis que enfrento a Billie Jean King contra Bobby Riggs, partiendo de sus antecedentes (la lucha por la igualdad de las mujeres en los deportes), en la que unos notables Jonathan Dayton y Valerie Faris dan con el tono adecuado para que su visionado resulte agradable de ver, pero si hay algún pero que ponerle a la película seria el guion firmado por Simon Beaufoy, que aunque consigue sostener un relato en su totalidad interesante, también puede dar la sensación de abarcar mucho y por momentos tocar la superficialidad misma, todo en beneficio de su protagonista, y (casi) sin la suficiente pericia para darle emoción al evento más importante de la película en sí.
February 18, 2018
Rather typical and cliche biopic, but it's entertaining enough, and is worth watching alone for the good performances and the look into what an important place this story actually held in history.
February 16, 2018
Steve Carell is a ringer for Bobby Riggs. Amazing story of women's equality in sports.
February 13, 2018
Excellent choice of Stone and Carell for this very entertaining, emotional and well-crafted gender-centered movie. Its subjects is still very much alive today.
½ February 12, 2018
Horrible movie both my wife and I hated it. Not one good part of the movie
February 10, 2018
A great story, that documents two different stories.
½ February 10, 2018
Funny written, greatly acted, true story about social/gender issues treated with respect. Ironically the behind the scenes life of Steve Carell's character is more interesting than the Emma Stone's one, who seems in comparison a little of a letdown. Good watch.
½ February 8, 2018
Carried by great performances from Emma Stone and Steve Carell: Battle of the sexes shows the real life story of Billy Jean King. A story about equality in sports: it is uplifting and comedic. Towards the end you get a heartwarming feel about equality and acceptance.
February 7, 2018
Believable energy by charismatic performances going well into the game that regenerated the thrill and thoroughly well-tackled from the executions of factual deliverance and the parallel topic of sexism to bolster the story's relevant revival. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
February 6, 2018
I don't remember tennis matches being this bad even in the 70's, but the movie isn't really about tennis as much as it is the politics of women's sports.

I didn't particularly care for the Riggs and King theatrical BS when it was actually happening in 1973, so I didn't totally enjoy seeing it played out again. However, the movie does add a bit of back story to the whole cheesy mess that wasn't really widely known in 73.

Women's sports has always had equal pay problems because of the lack of equal box office. Women's sports has come a long way in terms of attracting a paying audience since the 70's, but the ticket revenue and audience is still smaller than men's.

This is an okay movie, but not Oscar time good.

For an $8 ticket, you get $7.09 worth of entertainment.
½ February 5, 2018
The movie is easy to watch and pretty enjoyable, especially thanks of the 2 main contenders. The saddest part is that 44 years later there is still much more to do for equality, but even movies like this are a good reminder.
½ February 4, 2018
Two songs run through my head after watching this film: I Am Woman by Helen Reddy and Philadelphia Freedom by Elton John. The first was played over the intercom at my high school one hot afternoon and that is when I learned about the match. The second was a song dedicated to Billie Jean King by Elton John.
½ February 3, 2018
Strong performances from Carrell & (surpringly) Emma Stone -- many layers to the movie & its not just about chauvinism vs. women's lib, but also finding oneself, even for Bobby Riggs. Very well done and enjoyed it thoroughly!
February 3, 2018
I didn't enjoy this movie. I see where it could have been a good movie. But it just didn't really feel real to me. It felt like acting. I thought the relationship with the main character and her hairdresser was overblown. There wasn't really any good humor to me. Alot of it felt forced. I didn't think the direction felt very good either. I'm surprised this is fresh, but I guess with today's political and social climate I can see where people feel this should be a "good movie". And I get that the history portrayed in this movie is important and a good story to tell today. It just didn't work for me.
February 2, 2018
While I'm currently on my kick of seeing films based in recent history, Battle of the Sexes does a fine job of acknowledging the similarities between past and present social issues, some of which still stick around to this very day. Steve Carell and Emma Stone give us jovial performances grounded in both of their real-life counterparts. For a quick romp through the tennis world in the 1970's, Battle of the Sexes comes off as informative, enlightening, and thought provoking with themes still important 40 years later.

The entire Billie Jean King/Bobby Riggs stunt was well before my time, but learning about it through this kind of media and having it portrayed by some of the best actors in the business added to my curiosity. The makeup was spot on for both actors. The acting for both seemed like they were having just as much fun as their characters during the time.

However, the major issues they were fighting for or against back in the 70's like gender equality on the court and in the pocketbook still haven't been resolved today. It makes you really think about the powers driving the sport behind the scenes and just how much influence they've had throughout it all. I would say one of the only disappointing aspects of the film was its inability to fully convert itself into a drama with such serious topics. It was certainly more of a comedy.

Battle of the Sexes is a fun time travel trip back into the 70's for those who have any interest in the sport and some of the key figures who helped shape it's run through the following years. While I understood the weight of the imiplications of King vs Riggs, I don't think the movie quite hit the climax of helping the audience understand just how important this was because the film was a bit too comedic instead of serious, but it sure did make for a fun watch.
½ January 29, 2018
fun. great performances. the story of the the two character was way more interesting and multi-faceted than i expected.

The feminist stuff was really on the nose though. Only toning it down a little would have been better. not to take any of it out. but to be a little more artful with it. dont tell me. show me. or lead me. or let me fill in those blanks. too on the nose of preachy with anything is usually not so good.
January 29, 2018
Amazing real life story turned into a great movie, and is now as relevant as ever. If you want to feel empowered you better watch this movie.
January 28, 2018
Divertido, mas um pouco previsível pra quem conhece o mínimo da história. Sempre bom ver Emma e Stece juntos em um filme.
January 28, 2018
Larry King (BJ King's x-husband) said the film was "90%bull****". Hollywood rarely lets the facts get in the way of a melodrama. This was a boring mess. The real story and characters deserved better.
½ January 27, 2018
If you were alive when this farce took place, nothing new is revealed. If you had not been yet born,be grateful.