Battle of the Sexes Reviews

• Brendan N Super Reviewer
    1d ago

Well cast film suffers from being too safe. The is inspiring and showcases the lack of progression since this tennis match was played. Stone is strong and Carrell is well cast in a more supporting role, adding some extra depth. I don't believe the film captured the era or the characters motivations clearly. This is more a Disney feel good film when it should've been primarily focused on Billie Jean King's internal and external struggles, it's more hinted at, not focused. I liked the film, but it deserved to be much better. This was a film deserving a larger canvas and audience, but it failed to ignite at the box office. I would actually be surprised if many people knew about this film. Certain films have the luxury of streaming to the world directly, but Battle of the Sexes chose an alternative distribution model, this was not the right choice. This should've been released via streaming to ensure it had legs. Sadly this film went ignored and has vanished in a market it should've flourished within. 16/11/2019

• Aug 16, 2019

We all knew how this was going to turn out

We all knew how this was going to turn out

• Aug 08, 2019

This is a very interesting movie especially because of the real life subject. The movie has taken a few minor liberties to the original story but it is still extremely eye-opening. The struggle for women is real and the hustle even tougher. The direction has a lot of heart and pretty no non-sense.

• Jun 20, 2019

Well acted and good portrayal.

Well acted and good portrayal.

• Jun 17, 2019

I think Stone's performance was rather mediocre.

I think Stone's performance was rather mediocre.

• Jun 09, 2019

Plot: 6 plain and predictable, obviously highlighting the early feminist weakness and the female players' struggle for their rights. In the last game, the pattern of the tortoise and the hare race can be seen. The male player is proud of the show and is negligent in practice, and the female player actively adjusts the mentality. And a formal self-emotional view. Audio-visual sound and light: 7 Unfortunately, there are no special close-up or slow-motion sports players' attitudes, most of which are early broadcast and retro style, but the overall clothing or car and other related accessories have been restored, and the character shape is also elegant. Acting actor: 8 Mainly or heroine acting is vividly supported, comrades tend to struggle and the pressure of feminist contemporary oppression, compared with the male runners of the Shawen pigs that the clown gamblers show off, the outcome is quite obvious.

• Mar 29, 2019

I suspect that Steve Carell's version of Bobby Riggs was a lot more cuddly than the genuine article. Even so, a good behind the scenes look at one of the most memorable tennis events of all time. Sarah Silverman was well cast.

• Mar 14, 2019

Stone and Carell give great performances

Stone and Carell give great performances

• Jan 26, 2019

Battle of the Sexes creates a silly comedy out of a subject worthy of a solid biopic. The film bounces between Stone who portrayed Jean very well and gave a decent performance and Carell who was just annoying beyond belief. I understand it's how his character should be played but at times it was unbearable. Overall there's nothing entertaining about this dull dramady that's got me wishing I watched a documentary on this powerful real-life story.

• Jan 13, 2019

Incredibly touching which is surprising since there are few surprises other than the level of chauvinism during the period