Battleship Potemkin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Battleship Potemkin Reviews

April 28, 2017
With unique editing, Battleship Potemkin is pure amazing on chaos in the historical event
December 31, 2016
This film was so impressive. A film that depicts the crude and terrible conditions in the Russian navy. It uses unique editing technics. I uses huge crowds of extras. The scale of this film looks awesome. I have never seen the technic where selective color is used in the coloring of this film. I loved and was shocked when I saw a Russian Red flag appear in this film that as a whole is filmed in black and white. This was very impressive when you hear that this film was being edited up to the end, The cuts were being edited together up to the end so much so that the cuts were being licked together before the opening premier. I enjoyed the film musical score. This is one of the best silent films I have ever seen. I just wish I understood with more context the culture or what was going on with some of the large crowds or why people were being attacked. I found it unique how not everything needed subtitles or was given subtitles so that the audience could interpret what was going on in a scene.

This is impressive when you consider that this was made by a 25 year old where this was his second film of all time and was hired by the Russian government to make a propaganda film.
Antonius Block
½ December 1, 2016
A lot of people note that director Sergei Eisenstein was ahead of his time with his 'film montage' technique, used so effectively in the massacre scene on the steps of Odessa, but it should also be noted that he captures brilliant images throughout this movie. It's certainly worth watching as a result, and is probably a must for students of film. However, what undoubtedly stirred emotions in 1925 - possibly sympathy for the communist movement, or fear of inciting revolutionary thoughts given the mutiny that takes place on the Potemkin, or squeamishness at the moments of violence (all of which contributed to the film being banned in many countries, including the Soviet Union!) - is less impactful ninety years later. It also suffers for being a propaganda film, with less nuance in its characters and plot.
November 13, 2016
Battleship Potemkin is an enthralling and almost overwhelming film that contains no spoken words! Yet the stirring music that accompanies the exquisite cinematography intimately transports the viewer directly into the world of czarist Russia and revolutions.

This movie came out the year my father was born and he took me to see it when I was a young child. Years later I had the opportunity to travel to Odessa and I could almost relive the terrible massacre of innocent civilians on the staircase.

This movie is classified as a masterpiece for many different reasons, but most importantly, it is a brilliant flame of creativity that demands of us emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and physical responses--all of which define our humanity.
½ July 4, 2016
As narrative films go, "Battleship Potemkin" is incredibly simplistic ... intentionally so. The characters are deliberately one dimensional and take on a symbolic role in driving the plot forward. It's a cartoon meant not so much to make a political point, but rather to inspire the audience towards political action. That may sound like I'm knocking it, but I'm absolutely not. It's easily one of the most amazingly effective narrative propaganda films, and it retains much of it's power today despite being copied and quoted in hundreds of other films. If you are a fan of silent cinema, you know that the rhythms of silent cinema are very different from modern films. This film is about as close to a modern film as you will find in the 20's.
½ May 12, 2016
Powerful with technical brilliance, striking editing, and more than one hero, The Battleship Potempkin is one of the most influential, though somewhat propagandistic, Russian films ever.
February 20, 2016
A mensagem é importantíssima e a habilidade de ser um filme que dá tanto exigindo tão pouco é responsabilidade da montagem e edição do filme, que influenciaram todo o cinema.
January 28, 2016
Battleship Potemkin may honestly be the best film ever made. The problem many encounter with older films is that they are boring. This is never the case with Sergei Eisenstein's masterpiece and not just because it is pretty short. Instead, he manages to keep both the tension and emotional tension up the entire time and keeps you on the edge of your seat as you watch the events unfold. While undeniably communist propaganda, Battleship Potemkin is still a brilliant and highly influential film that will hopefully live on forever.
½ January 26, 2016
Battleship Potemkin is a Soviet propaganda film. It is an epic silent film, studied by cinema critics and film-makers since its release to American & European audiences. The movie is based on true historic events of 1905 and provides an insight to the standards and treatment of people during Czarist Russia. It generates empathy from viewer to provide understanding of the events leading up to the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917.

The plot focuses on life in the Czarist navy and builds to a climax to one of the greatest cinematic scenes of all time at the Odessa Steps. Historical events such as these would largely be forgotten by modern culture had they not have been preserved in films like these.

I hope that viewers can absorb the turmoil and oppression of those times to understand the basis of the Bolshevik revolution and overthrow of the monarchy. Let this be a lesson - the masses can only be pushed so far, until there is a sentiment to revolution.
January 14, 2016
A brilliant examination of political injustice, Battleship Potemkin has withstood the test of time, choosing to use the platform of film as a bold piece of propaganda.
October 27, 2015
Is it a technical masterpiece of yesterday? Yes. Does it hold up today? Absolutely not. But, at just over an hour in length, watching "Battleship Potemkin" is no big commitment, especially for the film buffs to whom it should already be a must-see.
½ October 9, 2015
Another film from Eisenstein with improved narrative, slightly more entertainment value, and the same nature in being masterfully influential and not being pretty. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
October 7, 2015
I really find it hard to describe Battleship Potemkin because it's just a film that just wows you over before you can even stop to think about it, a technical masterpiece with a genuinely thrilling plot. The story takes place in June of 1905 on the battleship well Potemkin, we see the crew of the ship are not so happy and they are revolted by the standards they have and so they stick up for themselves and when fellow crew members are nearly killed by their own officers, it seems quite the time for the crew to get up and fight. It is a dramatized version of true events but this movie really pumps up the workers as complete heroes, I mean this movie is Soviet propaganda through and through, but it's superbly well made even if it is.

The man behind this perfectly crafted motion picture is Sergei Eisenstein who directs this in a way which even when it's going very slow still manages to either be thrilling or throw in some kind of thing to make it so amazing. I think what he also does is create a movie that isn't just for critics to feast their eyes on, this can be enjoyed by anyone I swear and it's actually a genuinely exciting kind of movie, although I would always watch a few silent movies beforehand so that you get the right feel of this. What Eisenstein also does is bring in all the crafts that make up a film and creates an art piece, one that's cameras are perfectly working, editing is finely tuned, dialogue (even for a silent movie) is great and then utilises production design especially in the famous "Odessa Steps" scene where the outfits and the general look of the scene looks amazing.

This is so often placed on the lists that people compile with the greatest movies and for good reason, the reasons become even more so when you consider this was made in 1925 and it is silent, but you never truly think about that and this doesn't seem to have aged at all, in fact other than the cast the only expired thing is the Soviet Union. Yet again it is Eisenstein who makes it ageless, I felt he just knew what he wanted and did it, made a film that although is made for a certain political position, can still entertain no matter what your views on politics.

I feel that again those steps are like come on, I mean those boots are just a brilliant cinematic piece. The scene is one that is thrilling yet also oddly touching with a little added darkness (well OK make that quite a bit). The choreography of the entire scene is marvellous too with the enormous cast to run and fall down it not only makes it incredible to see but you'd think also really dangerous! Don't watch this just for this scene I mean this has sublime scenes elsewhere, take for example the ending which of course I won't spoil but when you think one thing it does something else and builds you up until you are really excited to see what happens next.

I think that if you consider this not your kind of film then think again, this isn't a movie that should only be shown in history classes or film studying lectures, it's a movie that should be seen because it is entertaining but also technically a film of flawless dimensions. Yes feast in what Soviet cinema has to offer and maybe you might like it quite a bit, in fact you might even be accustomed to raising a red flag above your house even if the neighbour calls you a commie.
September 29, 2015
A movie in constant motion, whether that be crawling, shooting, or a baby carriage rolling down the Odessa Stes. Or masses of an unordered crowd contrasted with the precision of a military rand and file. Or the motions of the red (truly red) in the film. It is in motion continually, but Eisenstein weaves this into the film so that you don't feel the movement, but rather feel the excitement.
August 18, 2015
A masterpiece of cinema, Battleship Potemkin remains an influential picture that stands the test of time
½ August 15, 2015
Fantastic editing, great acting, and beautiful cinematography. Sergei Eisentein's film about the uprising of 1905 was a masterpiece.
July 22, 2015
A film which this year celebrates it's 90th birthday has been frequently cited among the greatest of all time, and has occasionally occupied the top slot on such lists. As a propaganda film it shamelessly depicts its antagonists as cruel snobs who care nothing for those below themselves, and gives them no redeeming features whatsoever. Most of them don't even have names. Without paying even close attention, many of the technical cracks are plain to see. It's integration of stock footage and even cutaway shots to what looks like a toy ship floating in a tub of water against a grey backdrop seem especially silly by today's standards, but what still holds up are its themes and morals. Much like The Bicycle Thief, another masterpiece, simple human desires, in this case the craving for liberation and fair treatment, appear small at first, but the film cleverly amplifies them to the point where you can feel them in every moment. The Odessa Step sequence, a scene that bears the drool marks of film historians and directors the world over, still holds up very well, existing as a hallmark of directing, camera-work, editing and stark, often brutal imagery. It's not the kind of film you would watch on a regular basis, especially if entertainment is all you seek, but with ever-relevant themes, a stirring musical score and surprising tension and emotional heft, Battleship Potemkin is rightly regarded as a piece of seminal cinema.
July 20, 2015
A masterpiece of international cinema, I hadn't seen this film school, do it was great to revisit it on Blu-Ray. Such a great film, it ushered in editing techniques that are now just standard part of cinema, but were incentive for their time, the "Odessa Steps" scene is a great example, and it was paid tribute to by Brian DePalma in"The Untouchables". This film needs to be seen by all serious film fans!
½ July 12, 2015
A technical masterpiece indeed, but an uninspired story filled with types.
June 26, 2015
A hugely hyped film by real film critics however, I tend to rate my films based on how much I enjoyed watching it rather than how influencial and ground-breaking a film might have been back in the 1920's. Obviously, to see such an old Russian film about revolution, albeit over a few maggots, is still interesting but I didn't take an awful lot from this film unfortunately.