Beach Rats Reviews

• 6d ago

it's okay. very good cinematography but the plot is very bland. it could have been so much better

• Dec 24, 2019

Mysterious, gripping, and beautifully filmed, this movie flows like a deep, dark ocean it is sometimes set against. Stellar direction and actors, this movie had me questioning what was coming up next throughout. Brilliant.

• Nov 25, 2019

As a gay film, there's some raw reality to how gay men used to hook up and cruise. This story feels unrestricted and almost too easy for the protagonist. I suppose drugs can affect the mind but would the choices made which potentially puts his closet status out for just weed is questionable. All in all, there's no satisfaction or moral to be found here. Truly just turmoil.

• Nov 04, 2019

I can not even begin to describe how badly this movie ends. I feel ripped off. The writer/director teases with film school quality shots that lead nowhere, and I do mean nowhere. It was a complete waste of time. The film says nothing new, and it could have. Horrible.

• Sep 29, 2019

It was OK. I didn't believe some of the parts going on in the movie. It seemed forced and fake. Y'all need to see a film called 'Ekaj' now THAT film was fire and tells it like it is.

• Jun 19, 2019

Boring, mean-spirited and aimless

Boring, mean-spirited and aimless

• Mar 03, 2019

I rarely write reviews, but this film demanded one. As a gay man, I found this movie to be painfully homophobic, especially in its denouement where for whatever reason the protagonist decides to entrap an innocent gay guy with his friends, rob him, and kill him. Even absent that grotesque event, the film is sorely lacking. What makes LGBT films authentic is the way they capture that fundamental sense of yearning and loneliness. This movie, and especially its lead, utterly fail to do that. The lead relies on his looks and glum countenance as he sulks around and never truly grows or faces head on the uncertainty of his attraction to men. This "beautiful sadness," as critics have called it, is surface-deep and trite. The main character is in fact so introverted that we never get any real glimpse into the struggle he's having or his particular motivations. I give this two stars instead of one because the cinematography, at least, is pretty decent, and some performances (like that of the mother) stand out.

• Feb 19, 2019

Way better than God's Own Country or Moonlight.

Way better than God's Own Country or Moonlight.

• Feb 14, 2019

I really liked this movie. I liked the way they filmed it, and I thought that the actors were really good. You could feel especially the main character's feelings. The only bad thing I have to say is that I felt like there was a little bit too much sex, but aside from that. it was an amazing movie.

• Jan 09, 2019

Cinematography was stunning with so many beautiful shots of emotion.

Cinematography was stunning with so many beautiful shots of emotion.