The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms Reviews

April 12, 2016
From its very inception, the giant monster who raises from the ocean and destroys a city has had its own niche audience. We come back time and time again not to get invested in political intrigue, a debate on morals or religious ideals, or even a blossoming romance. We just want to see cool effects and scary monsters.

It's this type of film the term "popcorn entertainment" comes from. And that's what this is. Fun for the sake of fun, yet without insulting the audience's intelligence. I'm sure even in an age like the 1950's no one was really worried about a giant prehistoric reptile rising from the Hudson River to destroy Manhattan. Right guys? Guys?
½ February 15, 2016
A extremely good Stop Motion Creature Feature that inspired My favorite monster of all time Godzilla. This movie is by far a classic and a Masterpiece in itself. The Movie and some parts can feel slow such as the beginning and some scenes Between the Creature Attacks., but still a must see for any B monster movie fan.
November 23, 2014
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that this one is not worth watching. I mean, yeah the stop motion effect is pretty cool, but the monster (and thus that effect) is barely in here and the base story failed to keep me entertained at all.
November 5, 2014
This is probably the best American monster movie of the 50's. With the stop-motion effects by Ray Harryhausen, master of stop-motion, the movie has lots to offer and is of a very good quality.
½ October 11, 2014
Classic "B" movie, a lot of fun to watch.
½ September 21, 2014
Well made fifties monster movie that presses all the buttons right through to its kongesque climax.
½ September 14, 2014
Harryhausen's first feature effects gig after Mighty Joe Young, this jump started the movie monster craze of the 50's and even influence Gojira.
January 11, 2014
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
Starring:Paul Christian, Paula Raymond, Cecil Kellaway, Kenneth Tobey, Donald Woods, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Pennick, Steve Brodie, and Ross Elliot
Directed By:Eugène Lourié
My Review
I am guessing that this was the first good monster movie made by Americans but was very underrated. Because I think King Kong came after this. The unfortunate thing about this movie is that the monster in the movie doesn't even have a name so am I just suppose to call it what the title says cause if so that's too long. I mean sure it's just some sort of giant lizard but I don't want to call it that either I like it when the monsters have a name it makes the movie a lot more enjoyable and the monster becomes a character.
The powerful force of atomic testing in the arctic has awakened a sleeping beast that has been frozen solid in ice for over 20,000 years and the creature rises from the sea to exact revenge in the streets of New York.
Paul Christian plays Tom Nesbit who saw the beast but when he tells everyone his story nobody believes him so when the monster finally arrives in New York he helps the military defeat it and not cause infection. The blood of the beast is deadly due to the atomic testing from earlier in the movie.
I like that they gave a deadly infection cause throughout the movie I don't think they were but they had to at some point bring it up the monster was hit with freaking atomic Nuclear missiles and then came out and wrecked stuff. I actually just saw now that this actually was made after king kong so this technically isn't america's first good monster movie but still an underrated one at the very least, this was released in 1953.
As underrated as it is this not a movie with a big name and doesn't have a lot of remakes but I'm pretty sure Hollywood will make one someday and if so I hope i'm in the theater room to see it I give The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms a four out of five.
January 11, 2014
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
Directed By:Eugène Lourié
My Review
January 10, 2014
A masterpiece in both story and execution and one of the best giant monster moves of its era. Godzilla owes a lot to this film.
October 5, 2013
The one that started it all with atomic bomb tests awakening sleeping giant beasts! No rubber suit here, but work by the amazing Ray Harryhausen - do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself with his works - detailed perfection every time - a true artist who obviously loved his work. Note the tribute to this film found in the modern day big monster movie "Cloverfield."
September 7, 2013
Among the best of it's kind
July 27, 2013
Ray harryhausen's fist film in which he was fully in charge if the stop motion effect which is good because this film surpasses all monsters movies including godzilla
July 19, 2013
Iconic, though not really a classic, 1950s monster movie about a dinosaur that is thawed out after an atomic blast and then, of course, wreaks havoc. Solid Ray Harryhausen special effects and a fun campy story based upon a Ray Bradbury short story. Hard to go too far wrong with that combination.
½ June 1, 2013
The third act - a rampage through New York comprised of stop-motion, miniatures, rear projection and other layering processes - ensures that all was worthwhile.
May 12, 2013
Ah the old nuclear bomb testing plot idea, a stable diet for vintage sci-fi flicks of the past. Those silly darn Americans up to their misjudged tests that end up wreaking havoc on the world...well normally their native country actually. This film helped kick start the huge monster craze including the seminal 'Godzilla' and the use of nuclear weapons testing for plot ideas that cause these monster riots.

This time they inadvertently disturb a prehistoric reptile that was trapped/hibernating in the deep ice of Antarctica. The huge scaly creature makes it way down the east coast of the US to New York where it decides to set up camp and munch on various things.

This is where the Harryhausen stuff of legend really kicks off, giant reptilian monsters roaming around and eating people. The big lizard looks really good, kinda like a four legged 'Godzilla' but surprisingly quite decent and not as cheesy. What is also so cool is the way Harryhausen has animated this fella, he moves really well, seems a bit like a young puppy behaviour wise at times (sinking the first fishing ship) but its still good. Bit jerky of course but its nicely done. Should I be surprised? yeah I think so, this is an old film and an early one for Harryhausen so you would expect it to look hokey...but it doesn't.

Can't lie here but like other monster flicks its all about the rampage isn't it, yeah come on it is. The plot building with the stereotypical characters...the good looking hero, the old bald scientist and his attractive female assistant is all well and good but you're really wanting building/vehicle stomping. Everything is much better than his previous main creature flick ('Mighty Joe Young'), acting, sets, props, costumes and additional models are all tighter and sharper, it does look like they had more money to use for this film. The whole film looks really good bottom line, even the underwater sequence is enjoyable if quaint.

This really is one of the pinnacles of charming sci-fi that anyone can sit down and enjoy. I love how the acting is so straight laced in militaristic fashion, how everyone looks smart in their lovely suits and fedoras of the time, how they fade out each sequence in that traditional way and the funny way they squeeze in stock footage, some of which works, some stands out badly.

Easily one of the best creature features from Harryhausen's portfolio with a tremendously good monster, some nice acting from Cecil Kellaway as the clever old 'Dr Elson' and some lovely cute moments of ham...when the good 'Dr Elson' decides to stake his career on the beast story being true simply because a sailor identified a random drawing that looked kinda like the monster he thinks he saw.
TheDudeLebowski65
November 19, 2012
Terrific and accomplished Sci Fi monster movie about a dinosaur that awakens after a nuclear test done in the Arctic. The beast is unleashed and chaos ensues. The aspect of the film that really stands out is the astounding special effects that were used to create the beast. I was astounded by how good this film looks, even by today's standards. The film boasts a good, but predictable plot, even with that said; it's nonetheless a fun entry in the monster movie cannon of classics. Acting wise, the cast do deliver great performances and there are plenty of worthwhile performances here to make this one enjoyable. Cecil Kellaway gives a great performance here as Prof. Thurgood Elson and you really feel bad when he meets his demise at the hands of the beast. I've never heard of this gem, and it probably has been dwarfed by other films in this era of terror. If you come across this one, check it out and it is worth it. This is really an obscured gem of the era of memorable monster flicks, and genre fans definitely should check this one out. With great performances, creative special effects, and memorable climax, this is a near flawless Sci Fi horror monster flick that deserves to be seen. The plot is good, and it moves at a steady pace. There's always something happening on-screen to make the film interesting and fun for the audience, and The Beast from 20, 000 Fathoms is a terrific, near flawless film that is deserving of being seen by a bigger audience. The film is just like every other monster flick, but is nonetheless a worthwhile viewing for viewers wanting a stellar monster classic to watch. The effects of the beast alone make this a terrific flick and it has a fun plotline to boot.
October 21, 2012
Good monster movie with great stop motion animations that has actually held up really well. The plot is a bit all over the place, but it has its charms and is worth seeing if you like the genre.
October 10, 2012
Attack of the Rhedosaurus--Lee Van Cleef saves the world!!
September 4, 2012