A Beautiful Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Beautiful Mind Reviews

½ September 15, 2018
I knew that Nash had been diagnosed as a schizophren?ic but as a retired psychotherapist I believed the story that he'd been recruited by a top secret Dept. of Defense program to break Russian spy codes. Thus I enjoyed all the thriller aspects knowing artistic license had to have been taken (the chase with all the shooting for example). I never thought these could be paranoid delusions because while paranoid schizophrenics can have elaborate conspiracy delusions they never are THAT elaborate. I made for a good story. Tragically, I learned from Wikipedia something that would have been the ultimate downer if noted at the end of the movie:
On May 23, 2015, Nash and his wife were killed in a vehicle accident on the New Jersey Turnpike near Monroe Township, New Jersey. They had been on their way home from the airport after a visit to Norway, where Nash had received the Abel Prize, when their taxicab driver lost control of the vehicle and struck a guardrail. Both passengers were ejected from the car upon impact. State police revealed that it appeared neither passenger was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
September 13, 2018
Great film with multiple interesting topics and theories, and a love story intertwined within all of it, it is beautifully designed.
September 5, 2018
5 stars isn't a rating I give often for a few reasons, the top of which is the fact that this is my 4th review and I've really only felt inclined to review movies I thought were bad or that I enjoyed on some level. 5 stars to me doesn't mean that the movie is perfect but that the movie does its best in every category and in some way finds itself clever.

A quick synopsis. John Nash is a genius dreaming of originality and recognition in the work that he does. A sudden discovery of mental illness and the world-crashing affects it can have on those around such an illness is shown in its brutality. We live out this hero's tale every step of the way.

Now to touch on a few things, the story telling in a Beautiful Mind was superb, I found myself wanting the delusions to be true (purely on the interesting nature of the illusion itself) The character of John Nash completes its hero's journey with poise, a hungry beginning full of trial and the need to do something great. A crashing realization that shakes the character to their roots, and the moment of truth, choosing the harder and more rewarding road. Alicia Nash is strong in her resolve and shows how supporting someone in such a mental state can be just as taxing as having schizophrenia. She is the rock of John Nash and really is the only reason he probably got through what he did. Alicia is clever, smart, strong, and loving. She's independent and could've easily left John but choose the harder road and overcame this mental antagonist with John every step of the way.

The acting was not only on par with the leads but with supporting actors as well, and in the end we come full circle to one of the most satisfying endings to a movie that I've seen since Cinderella Man, which had the same actor, who woulda thought.

I don't think the movie is perfect but I find myself having trouble grabbing onto anything substantial that distracted from the story-telling shown here.

Yes I would watch this movie again, I would recommend it to a friend, and I feel that I am a better person coming out of this story than I was going into it. What more could I ask for?
September 3, 2018
A man's mind is a fascinating thing, you know.
August 7, 2018
It is best to go into this movie blind. It's fascinating and moving in so many different ways, and the performances are brilliant.
½ August 4, 2018
Overrated by people, apparently.

This is the work of a professional. Ron Howard knows how to manipulate us. Here's the important scene at the start. Here's the big moment, etc. Here it comes the music to help you cry or feel. But in the end, its soulless. Even if Crowe tries, this just wasn't a man. This was an edited life of a real man. Edited enough for you to like him without trying to really understand a troubled man and his problems. Because its "well done" it gets a five.
½ August 1, 2018
This is such a beautiful film, and it is based on true events! It just goes to show what love can do to a person and keep someone pushing forward. If you set your mind to anything, it is possible. Even an illness.
½ July 18, 2018
This movie was very entertaining and I believe it aged well. Crowe does it big time, no surprise there, the supporting cast also does it big time. Plot was entertaining enough and even quite surprising.
July 11, 2018
My favorite Ron Howard film.

A Beautiful Mind is the real life story of a genius mathematician. Ron Howard directs with a tender understanding of this man's fragile mental state. We see the brilliant mind of John Nash reduced over time with paranoia.

Howard crafts the sincere beginnings of a hopeful mathematician to the paranoid struggle of a broken man. A Beautiful Mind builds empathy for Nash with Roger Deakins' gorgeous shots and James Horner's haunting score. The somber notes swell from lovely to lonely moods.

Russell Crowe is inspired as John Nash. He plays the character with such sympathy and nuance. You feel for Nash and his plight because of how realistically genuine Crow portrays Nash.

Furthermore, Jennifer Connelly is incredible as Nash's wife. She suffers just as much as he does, but in a different way. Connelly's capability to demonstrate a working wife struggling to provide for her family at odds is something to behold.

Similarly, Ed Harris and Paul Bettany play fascinating supporting roles. You watch their characters take on a whole new meaning by the end. The way that Harris and Bettany play these roles is shocking and entertaining to the last frame with them.

Lastly, I love Christopher Plummer's smaller cameo role as the Dr. Rosen. He is empathetic and intriguing in his performance. We get to see Plummer dive into how to speak to someone troubled with a level of respect and understanding.

Overall, I think most audiences will love A Beautiful Mind. Every since it was released in 2001, I have had this movie burned into my mind. It is memorable evermore.
½ July 11, 2018
Sometimes stifled by its melodramatic romanticisms, "A Beautiful Mind" delivers a respectable, big-budget presentation of the mind which drove the late Dr. John Nash; complete with a decent midway plot twist.
½ May 11, 2018
A Beautiful Mind is an outstanding true story about the mathematician John Nash Jr. Ron Howard does a great job directing recreating his life. Russel Crowe and Jennifer Connelly both give truly outstanding performances that really make us feel how the characters they portrayed feel giving one of the best performances of both of their careers. It's a sad and emotional film that's an amazing story of love and loss with a great look at mental illness.
April 23, 2018
A Beautiful Mind - Genie und Wahnsinn der Film zeigt wie kreativ Menschen sind die an Schizophrenie leiden. In diesem Drama von Ron Howard geht es um John Forbes Nash Jr. (gespielt von Russell Crowe) der ein Mathematikgenie ist und eine bahnbrechende Idee hat. Damals wahren die Behandlungsmethoden bei Schizophrenie noch nicht so fortschrittlich wie sie heute sind und John Forbes Nash Jr. musste dadurch sehr leiden. Dieser Film beruht auf einer wahren Begebenheit und hat zurecht mehrere Oscars bekommen. Es lohnt sich dieses Meisterwerk anzuschauen.
½ April 1, 2018
A Snooze fest. Avoid this flick
½ March 8, 2018
definitely a step up from Russell Crowe's underwhelming "Gladiator" the year before, "A Beautiful Mind" is a moving drama.
February 11, 2018
Bettany&Crowe are quite good
February 10, 2018
This 2001 film is a biographical drama film based on the life of John Nash, a Nobel Laureate in Economics. who developed paranoid schizophrenia as a postgraduate student with delusional episodes while his wife Alicia and his friends endure his degenerative condition. The film fooled me for nearly an hour thinking I would watch something completely different and it was most surprising, since I didn't know it was a real story. Winner of Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Jennifer Connelly, who was brilliant.
February 2, 2018
I confess. This kind of Oscar material sits neatly in my heart too many times than I'd like to admit. Watched this three times with few years in between, and I just enjoy it every time. I even enjoy all the not so subtle nuances, bumpy structure, and few weak dialogues. I probably will watch this again lying in bed after midnight of a weekend with a bag of chips, knowing all the twists and turns.
½ January 18, 2018
great movie with a great story, beastly acting, and an awesome musical score. russell crow killed it, so did connelly. i even enjoyed the love story aspect. and there were some powerful moments as well as emotional ones. i would normally avoid emotion-y bio pics, but this was an exceptional exception. i dunno if i'd rewatch it a bunch of times, but probably warrants another viewing. i watched it once when i visited Palestine when i was like 19, i remember liking it but was never considering rewatching it... until i went through a phase of rewatching a bunch of old movies to see if they were actually good. (2 viewings)

SPOILERS

i didn't remember much from the first time, but i kind of knew his genius mind would make him go crazy. having known that, and having watched it before, how awesome is it that i still got the business from the twist? i absolutely did not remember that all the government stuff was in his mind, and even his room mate and his niece. once the reveal happened, it started coming back to me, and i got good goosebumps. i wish i could forget movies so i could rewatch them for the first time again. with this one i got lucky.
January 1, 2018
Always one of my fav, psychological thriller
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una brillante, sorprendente y compleja historia.