A Beautiful Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Beautiful Mind Reviews

May 23, 2017
77% - A Beautiful Mind starts off as a clichťd biopic film with usual formulaic storytelling but the film builds up to be something really unusual with its strong drama and emotional conflicts. This is the aspect that makes this movie very entertaining to watch.
May 16, 2017
I really thought it was all real for him but quite sad that he was hallucinating. After that I have the utmost sympathy for him and very impressed that his wife stayed by him. Truly a thought provoking film.
April 30, 2017
A Beautiful Mind is a sentimental and intriguing drama that deeply examines the concept of mental illness without resorting to exploitation and showcasing committed performances from Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly.
April 18, 2017
Ron Howard is always great at adapting true stories into well- structured biopics. Whether it be Rush, Apollo 13, Frost/Nixon, or A Beautiful Mind, he has a knack for representing real people well while also adding some movie magic in there as well.

The first time I watched A Beautiful Mind I was blown away by it. Not only did I think all of the actors did a tremendous job sinking their teeth into each role, but I couldn't believe how fascinating John Nash's life was. This is a man was a student at Princeton and made significant contributions to the world of mathematics and economics (including proposing several theories and equations), all while being diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic.

Russell Crowe gives one of his best performances as John Nash, in what also may be his most challenging. Crowe has to make it believable that he's both one of the brightest minds in the world but also someone who is seriously struggling with mental illness. He has great chemistry with his love interest, Alicia Nash, played by Jennifer Connelly. In fact, I think this film is a better romance than it is a biopic. Connelly, who won an Oscar for playing Alicia, is a revelation here. She had impressed in previous films, but there's something about her balancing the sweetness of Alicia's personality with her turmoil filled personal life.

I think the main issue with A Beautiful Mind is its pace. At 138 minutes, it's right about at the length of your usual bio-drama, but it doesn't feel like it. The film moves at a really slow pace, especially before we realize what Nash is going through mentally. Part of the reason for this is that I found it hard to approach the complexities of his work. The story is interesting, but I can't say I knew exactly what was going on half the time. If the film would have found a way to make all the equations and theories dumbed down for the general audience, the film would have felt much smoother.

Overall, the film is well done. I love James Horner's score, Roger Deakin's cinematography is beautiful, as is the romance between Connelly and Crowe, but I think it lacks in re-watchability and pacing.

+Romance

+Score

+Strong performances

+Extraordinary story

-But difficult to follow at times

8.5/10
½ April 15, 2017
Surely this is Ron Howard's best work. Although Russell Crowe shines here, Jennifer Connelly steals our hearts and the film. Rating: 9/10
April 3, 2017
Not bad. Not as good as everyone is making it out to be, though Crowe did a better job than usual and did play a little bit different character. He's still a jerk though. It's certainly not something I'd have any desire to see again.
½ March 29, 2017
The acting is here what is on top. Russel Crowe and Jennifer Connelly are both amazing.
March 27, 2017
A Beautiful Mind is a beautifully touching film. Russell Crowe gives the best performance of his career and Jennifer Connelly is dazzling as well. The other performances from the likes of Paul Bettany and Ed Harris are also very enjoyable and the way the skitzafrenia is handled is dignified and realistic. Watching John Nash overcome his problems and inevitably win the Nobel prize was incredibly moving. This tear-jerking drama deserved best picture.
½ February 28, 2017
Near solid, and definitely a step up from Russell Crowe's dud "Gladiator" the year before.
February 19, 2017
A great film in my eyes. It portrays Mathematician John Nash's life. I thought the acting was wonderful, and I believe that Russell Crowe should have gotten the award for Best Actor. The very first movie I've seen of Russell, and I'm glad I got to see it.
February 1, 2017
Top class, i never knew Russell Crowe was that good, he was absolutely brilliant in this and as a result so was the movie.
½ January 15, 2017
A truly beautiful and loving movie. Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly are both incredible and might put you in tears watching this movie. A truly touching movie.
December 31, 2016
Everything on this movie must be resumed when watching the performances of Russel Crowe especially but also of Jennifer Connelly.
December 7, 2016
Ron Howard is on top form in this Oscar winning film, which I feel has been poorly treated over the last 15 years. Russell Crowe has never bettered his performance as John Nash here, and was robbed of the Oscar for Best Actor. Jennifer Connelly is equally brilliant as Nash's wife Alicia, while Ed Harris, Paul Bettany and Christopher Plummer are all joys to watch. The only real fault with the film is it's historical inaccuracy, but the rest of the film makes up for it in pure quality
September 27, 2016
Very good movie. About a man with problems, that need to be solved. Profound, and touching film.
September 25, 2016
Well, I never saw that twist coming. It takes a great talent for an actor to go from a gladiator to a professor, but Crowe nailed both. Top supporting cast too.
September 18, 2016
Gorgeous movie with an extremely well acted performance by Russel Crowe. Not to mention the touching love story of the movie in the center of which is beautiful Jennifer Connelly.
½ September 7, 2016
If you don't mind the fact that this Oscar-winning biography alters the real story considerably, it will certainly be a wonderful experience. Full review on filmotrope. com
September 3, 2016
Me parece una excelente pel√≠cula, las actuaciones son incre√≠bles, Rusell Crowe hace nuevamente una actuaci√≥n extraordinaria, al igual que sus compa√Īeros, Jennifer Connelly, Paul Bettany, Ed Harris... la relaci√≥n de amor est√° creada de una forma cre√≠ble y es bonita, se siente una emoci√≥n de tristeza y alegr√≠a durante toda la pel√≠cula, muchos sentimientos encontrados.