A Beautiful Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Beautiful Mind Reviews

August 15, 2017
A Beautiful Mind is definitely the type of movie that wins over the academy every year. They've always had a thing for heart string dramas, and while they don't always pick the best film per say, I truly believe this one deserved the win back in 2001. Many films grow a hatred after thet win awards, due to the fact that people now find them overrated, when they just didn't really think it was good enough to win. The term overrated is overused nowadays, but that's just my opinion. Happily, A Beautiful Mind is one of the films that I don't hear many complaints about as time as gone by. Sure, there are a few manipulative scenes and certain people who have direct relations to this film may not love it as much as some people, but I for one feel as though this film still stands as a masterpiece, and here's why.

The watching this film for the first time, it feels like three completely different films throughout its three act structure. The first act feels more like it's going to be a movie in the same vein as Good Will Hunting, only to become a much more thrilling film, dealing with a nuclear bomb investigation throughout its second, eventually throwing the audience through a loop, making them wonder if anything they had just seen really happened at all. Once you've seen A Beautiful Mind, the surprises won't ever be there again, but the emotion is still very much present and worth watching over and over again. Russell Crowe is a revelation throughout this movie, plain and simple.

Plain and simple, this film wouldn't have worked as well without a performance as devoted as Russell Crowe's. His mannerisms and the way he's able to fall in love with Alicia (Jennifer Connelly), is truly what transcends the film, making it as emotional as it is when the final act begins. His performances sucks you in from the very beginning and never lets you go, having you feel completely invested in this real-life character that had gone and still continues to go through this until the day the film was released. Across the board, this film is so well-acted, that it would've even been effective with a terrible screenplay, but that's just not the case at all.

When it comes to screenwriting, it's very hard to make even the most realistic dialogue naturally flow as if you're watching something unfold in reality, but this is one of the few films that will always remain in my memory as a movie with a perfect screenplay. From the moments that need you to feel for each character in order to hold your interest, to the subtle moments that talk about love in great detail, to the seemingly overdone scientific subplots, once all is revealed in this film, everything falls into place perfectly, leaving nothing else to be desired, at least for myself.

From performances, to superb direction by Ron Howard, to a script that will have those invested in tears, to a score that pulled me right into every moment, A Beautiful Mind won all of those awards for a reason. Looking back on this movie, nothing stands out as dated, even though it's only about 16 years old. If you've yet to view this film, I can't recommend it enough, especially to those who are fans of the dramatic side of filmmaking. I whole-heartedly love this movie for all of these reasons and then some. It's stylistic editing choices and use of on-set effects help this film feel even more authentic than it's script would've already allowed it to, so I have nothing to complain about in retrospect. This is a beautiful movie.
½ July 26, 2017
A moving love story and insightful of knowledge, A Beautiful Mind is brilliant as well as Russell Crowe
July 26, 2017
A Beautiful Mind is a carefully-paced film, fully establishing all elements of Nash's life, with only a few hints to something not being right, before revealing the truth. A brilliant script, with brilliant acting and an excellently constructed mental deterioration of Nash make this film a wonderfully put-together film.
½ July 23, 2017
Let me just talk about the first 30 minutes of the movie for a second. Russell Crowe's character is the most irritating awful human being imaginable. I'm sure the real John Nash is a pretty good guy and really smart. So why they chose to have Russell Crowe be such a dickpotato is beyond me. The way he thinks of brilliant ideas involves smashing his face into windows, stumbling after pigeons, and coming up with theories by thinking about how to get laid. He is awful to his peers, to the handful of women that show up in the beginning, and eventually to his students. I just don't get how I'm supposed to relate to a character that's introduced as a terrible human being.
June 17, 2017
A triumph in acting, storytelling and emotion. Horner's score is engulfing.
June 17, 2017
brill performace briinging attention to this disorder and the mans real life
June 12, 2017
Not understanding what a Nash Equilibrium was clearly demonstrated that the writers did not share Nash's beautiful mind.
June 5, 2017
The acting is here what is on top. Russel Crowe and Jennifer Connelly are both amazing.
June 2, 2017
I Once Told My Favorite Helper Of All Time Ms. Uramkin About This Movie In Art Class Once At McHenry Middle School In 2009, She Told Me It Did Make Her Cry.
May 31, 2017
Nash's character and story were very complex but the movie is a tale well-told and I really enjoyed the insight into mental illness and the impact on both the patient and his/her family. Great reminder to all that even the best brains of the world is susceptible to mental illness and it's not to do with personal competence at all.
May 23, 2017
77% - A Beautiful Mind starts off as a clichéd biopic film with usual formulaic storytelling but the film builds up to be something really unusual with its strong drama and emotional conflicts. This is the aspect that makes this movie very entertaining to watch.
May 16, 2017
I really thought it was all real for him but quite sad that he was hallucinating. After that I have the utmost sympathy for him and very impressed that his wife stayed by him. Truly a thought provoking film.
April 30, 2017
A Beautiful Mind is a sentimental and intriguing drama that deeply examines the concept of mental illness without resorting to exploitation and showcasing committed performances from Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly.
April 18, 2017
Ron Howard is always great at adapting true stories into well- structured biopics. Whether it be Rush, Apollo 13, Frost/Nixon, or A Beautiful Mind, he has a knack for representing real people well while also adding some movie magic in there as well.

The first time I watched A Beautiful Mind I was blown away by it. Not only did I think all of the actors did a tremendous job sinking their teeth into each role, but I couldn't believe how fascinating John Nash's life was. This is a man was a student at Princeton and made significant contributions to the world of mathematics and economics (including proposing several theories and equations), all while being diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic.

Russell Crowe gives one of his best performances as John Nash, in what also may be his most challenging. Crowe has to make it believable that he's both one of the brightest minds in the world but also someone who is seriously struggling with mental illness. He has great chemistry with his love interest, Alicia Nash, played by Jennifer Connelly. In fact, I think this film is a better romance than it is a biopic. Connelly, who won an Oscar for playing Alicia, is a revelation here. She had impressed in previous films, but there's something about her balancing the sweetness of Alicia's personality with her turmoil filled personal life.

I think the main issue with A Beautiful Mind is its pace. At 138 minutes, it's right about at the length of your usual bio-drama, but it doesn't feel like it. The film moves at a really slow pace, especially before we realize what Nash is going through mentally. Part of the reason for this is that I found it hard to approach the complexities of his work. The story is interesting, but I can't say I knew exactly what was going on half the time. If the film would have found a way to make all the equations and theories dumbed down for the general audience, the film would have felt much smoother.

Overall, the film is well done. I love James Horner's score, Roger Deakin's cinematography is beautiful, as is the romance between Connelly and Crowe, but I think it lacks in re-watchability and pacing.

+Romance

+Score

+Strong performances

+Extraordinary story

-But difficult to follow at times

8.5/10
½ April 15, 2017
Surely this is Ron Howard's best work. Although Russell Crowe shines here, Jennifer Connelly steals our hearts and the film. Rating: 9/10
April 3, 2017
Not bad. Not as good as everyone is making it out to be, though Crowe did a better job than usual and did play a little bit different character. He's still a jerk though. It's certainly not something I'd have any desire to see again.
March 27, 2017
A Beautiful Mind is a beautifully touching film. Russell Crowe gives the best performance of his career and Jennifer Connelly is dazzling as well. The other performances from the likes of Paul Bettany and Ed Harris are also very enjoyable and the way the skitzafrenia is handled is dignified and realistic. Watching John Nash overcome his problems and inevitably win the Nobel prize was incredibly moving. This tear-jerking drama deserved best picture.
½ February 28, 2017
Near solid, and definitely a step up from Russell Crowe's dud "Gladiator" the year before.
February 19, 2017
A great film in my eyes. It portrays Mathematician John Nash's life. I thought the acting was wonderful, and I believe that Russell Crowe should have gotten the award for Best Actor. The very first movie I've seen of Russell, and I'm glad I got to see it.
February 1, 2017
Top class, i never knew Russell Crowe was that good, he was absolutely brilliant in this and as a result so was the movie.