A Beautiful Mind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Beautiful Mind Reviews

June 26, 2016
Crowe does a great job as his character struggles with his condition.
½ June 18, 2016
A Beautiful Mind is a clichéd Best Picture winner with excellent performance as well as some moving and some very romantic scenes, but the editing is clumsy, the structure is very problematic, the third act is awfully prolonged and the movie is just too much by the numbers. It is definitely solid, but far from great and quite overrated.
June 9, 2016
Finally watched this movie! To be honest, I was disappointed near the end when everything took on a slower pace and there are moments I thought was dragged on and too cheesy. Nevertheless, this film tells an amazing story of the triumph and struggles of a brilliant mind.
June 8, 2016
With strong character development and a stellar performance from Russell Crowe, A Beautiful Mind leaves it mark as one of the best movies ever about the effects of Schizophrenia and the real mind behind it. Just an absolutely shocking movie.
May 31, 2016
While not completely accurate to the story of John Nash, this film does an admirable job of making the audience feel what being schizophrenic is like.
May 31, 2016
A very intriguing film where insight into how a person with schizophrenia actually sees the world.
May 29, 2016
"A Beautiful Mind" is a beautiful film telling an emotional love story combined with intense sequences exploring the effects of schizophrenia.
½ May 17, 2016
It was a good and interesting movie, but I feel like it got predictable in some areas. It wasn't anything completely original, but it is definitely a worthwhile watch.
April 24, 2016
A Beautiful Mind (2001) ???
Interesting drama about John Nash (Russel Crowe), an antisocial but brilliant mathematician who accepts secret work in cryptography, but this makes his life a living nightmare because nothing is what is seems. Engrossing drama (based on Sylvia Nasar) with a completely unpredictable (and satisfying) twist. Crowe is good as always, but Jennifer Connelly is exceptional, in an Academy Award winning performance. Faithful, original, well made . . . but a bit overrated. Picture, Director and Screenplay also won Oscars.
April 12, 2016
Fantastic acting, plot and visuals. Really showed what it is like to be schizophrenic as well as how it feels to love someone with it.
April 12, 2016
Ron Howard always manages to craft great films however with A Beautiful Mind he crafts his best film yet. When I first saw the film in my psychology class I wasn't a fan, however my cousin recommended that I watch it again so I did and he was right. I got a much better understanding of the film on a second viewing. The film tells the story of John Nash a mathematic genius who gets diagnosed with schizophrenia. Russell Crowe gives the performance of a lifetime as John Nash, to me he does a much better job in this film than the film made a year before this one Gladiator (2000) which wasn't that good in my opinion (and that film started Russell Crowe's career). Jennifer Connelly does an absolute marvelous job as Alice Nash to me both actors Connelly and Crowe give there best performance's in this film. The film is not only great but is also really smartly crafted and has a great twist in the middle of it. This is Ron Howard's best work since Apollo 13 (1995) (which is another great film). A Beautiful Mind is a classic film that should not be missed.
April 11, 2016
Great movie. Upon rewatch this seems to be Crowe's best performance, at least among them.
March 29, 2016
This is movie that proved to the world why Ron Howard is a treasure worth taking care of. Russell Crowe totally nails it as John Nash, even though the movie may not get all details of his life correct. Jennifer Connelly is one of the best actresses in the American land and the fact that she doesn't sway away once in this entire picture makes me incredibly interested to see how it would have been if any other actresses would have taken this role. I honestly don't think anyone could have done a better job in any way, shape or form. This is a movie totally worth the reputation and the accolades that it received during it's time on top.
March 18, 2016
The sensible and touching great acting performances are not completely erased by the unsubtle direction of Ron Howard.
½ March 9, 2016
Near solid, and definitely a step up from Russell Crowe's dud "Gladiator" the year before.
February 27, 2016
Brilliant on so many levels. As a love story, as a thrilling mystery, as a case study of mental illness, and on all of those coming together to cumulatively forge something wonderful. Jennifer Connolly is supherb, yet Russel Crowe is even better - in an empathy inducing performance that feels genuine from beginning to end. This movie finds a way to tug at your heart, without resorting to cliches and stereotypes.
February 21, 2016
Ron Howard is on top form in this Oscar winning film, which I feel has been poorly treated over the last 15 years. Russell Crowe has never bettered his performance as John Nash here, and was robbed of the Oscar for Best Actor. Jennifer Connelly is equally brilliant as Nash's wife Alicia, while Ed Harris, Paul Bettany and Christopher Plummer are all joys to watch. The only real fault with the film is it's historical inaccuracy, but the rest of the film makes up for it in pure quality
February 9, 2016
This is a well made and extraordinary film. It has some of the finest acting out there, and is truly a interesting while deeply captivating human story. The performances are all very impressive and the movie is heartbreaking and engaging. Russell Crowe delivers one of his career's best here and his character is very sympathetic. I knew nothing of this story before seeing it so I was surprised by every moment of it. It's a movie that you won't forget anytime soon.
½ February 2, 2016
Great production, great acting, great special effects, great story. I think Russell was overplaying the nerdiness of Nash a notch, especially at the beginning. The film get us fooled for a long time until he get 'arrested'. I thought the g-men were insane and the film was bizarre with the radioactive marking on the skin. Once committed in institution, the wife becomes the hero of the story, if not of the film. Jennifer really shines in the wife's role. The film is nice but reality is a bit different. In the dvd extras we get to see the real Nash and he does not sound like Russell at the end. He's more cool and relax. We don't feel like he had an insane period. The modern medication does seems to work.
January 15, 2016
While I think this movie is directed very well, there were times where the film deviates too much from John Nash's real life story. I felt that this movie left some important moments that really occurred out of the movie.