Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

April 15, 2019
Before watching Beetlejuice, my only experiences with Tim Burton were The Nightmare Before Christmas and Batman. I loved both films as a kid, so I had high expectations going into Beetlejuice. I was not disappointed. My only major criticism was in regards to the title character - some people love Betelgeuse, but I found him rather annoying. Fortunately, the recently-deceased Maitland couple and Lydia, the daughter of the yuppies who move into the house, are likeable enough to make up for this issue. As one would expect from Tim Burton's reputation, the effects, costuming, and sets are imaginatively surreal, although some of the effects look very dated in a charming sort of way. Danny Elfman's score is also excellent, whimsical but not without the capacity for fostering tension. While Beetlejuice isn't flawless, it is a solid enough film to make me take a keen interest in the rest of Tim Burton's filmography.
½ April 6, 2019
strange, different and creative film.
March 28, 2019
Beautifully weird and very entertaining. Michael Keaton excels as a wise cracking misbehaving spirit.
½ March 22, 2019
Tim Burtonâ(TM)s dark ghost-comedy is a blasting of cool moments, imaginative scenarios and creative characters, the director could only be capable of imagining, aside of that, being the random flick it is, the film is filled with good ideas taken advantage with a strong cast, leaded by the always enjoyable Michael Keaton as the memorable character, and a hilarious mix between creepiness and fun, Beetlejuice is a cult classic, and undoubtedly, one of Burtonâ(TM)s bests.
January 27, 2019
The best fantasy comedy movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)! And the best movie quote ever spoken: "I'm the ghost with the most, babe."
½ January 1, 2019
Great Writing: 2 Stars
Creepy, curious and funny. You watch it and wonder what bizarre thing will happen next. It leaves you with just enough questions answered, but doesnt over explain and leave you wanting to know more about life after death.

Superb Production: 2.5 Stars
A perfect example of why CGI can be completely over rated. Colorful, creepy and entertaining!
December 11, 2018
A freeky 80s horror comedy has not only a funny all star cast but a heap of laughs along the way.
December 3, 2018
One of my all time favorite films.
½ November 23, 2018
Like many of Burton's well-known work, Beetlejuice serves up a creepily twisted story of both fantasy and real-world issues, featuring the wacky, irreverent villain role that Michael Keaton was born for. All of which, unlike what happens in the movie, might drive some viewers out the door.
November 15, 2018
Because of this movie I fell in love with Wynona Ryder. Great performances all round.
October 27, 2018
Full of laughs, creativity and Michael Keaton's gloriously hammy performance in his surprisingly minimal screen time at only 17 minutes - though this movie's already short at 92 minutes so I doubt you'll notice - the visually pleasing, gleefully bizarre Beetlejuice just might be one of Tim Burton's best movies to date.
October 26, 2018
The reason Beetlejuice is a fantastic film is because it takes the bizarre and makes it completely mundane. Tim Burton creates a world where you accept everything he throws your way because that's just the way it is. And while Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis keep the film grounded, Michael Keaton-who is often imitated, but never duplicated-adds just enough insanity to make this an iconic macabre comedy.
½ October 15, 2018
Michael Keaton steals the show, definitely too short. Plot doesn't start making sense until about 15-30 minutes into the movie.
October 14, 2018
A classic. Such an original storyline that you wanna come back to again and again. I can't say enough good things about these actors and the people who put this together. It was scary but more so funny than anything. Another Tim Burton masterpiece.
½ October 3, 2018
An early Burton with his name written all over it. Some recently deceased couple turn into ghosts and when a weird family moves into they're house, they hire a scary guy to scare them out.

This is a silly film. Childish, effect filled and very fantasy-like. It's scary for kids, pretty stupid for grown ups. Sadly, it has not aged that well. The effects are still quite OK, the humor is not all that. It's quite clichefilled, if something with a story like this can fit that description.

Keaton is doing an amazing part here. It's sad that he enters the film so late - for me he is the hightlight and he lifts the film a whole lot. It's cool to see other names here, like Catherine O'Hara, Alec Baldwin and a young Winona Ryder.

It's like "Batman Forever", a really bad film, when it comes to props and style - but here it fits much better. Cool music, light humor, great performances and gentle fun, but sadly, the 30 years never did it good. I wonder what the coming follow-up can add to the table. Probably nothing much.

5 out of 10 queue numbers.
½ October 1, 2018
"Beetlejuice" is extremely hilarious.
September 17, 2018
Alec Baldwin and Geena Davies play a recently deceased married couple who are living in their beautiful home as afterlives. They collaborate with a crazy ghoul named Beetlejuice to drive away any other people who come to stay there. The casting is really good and Michael Keaton was at the top at this time. Production design, as usual is the case for a Burton film is really good and darkness and morbid overtones are seeping through the frames. Tim Burton is not everyone's cup of tea and even his most accessible films aren't universally adored. So watch Beetlejuice with these things in mind.(The quintessential Tim Burton movie).
½ August 16, 2018
Very inventive and funny.Great charactors. Holds up very well after 30 plus years.
½ August 7, 2018
Es como viajar más allá de la muerte plagado de humor negro con atmósfera de expresionismo alemán,en el que los fantasmas son unos incomprendidos a los que parecemos siempre ignorar y por ello deberíamos respetar mas a los muertos. Con un personaje carismático bien interpretado por Michael Keaton.
½ August 1, 2018
Beetlejuice is a quirky offbeat dark comedy from the late 1980s starring Michael Keaton and directed by Tim Burton. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davies play a recently deceased married couple who are living in their beautiful home as afterlives. They collaborate with a crazy ghoul named Beetlejuice to drive away any other people who come to stay there. The casting is really good and Michael Keaton was at the top at this time. Production design, as usual is the case for a Burton film is really good and darkness and morbid overtones are seeping through the frames. Tim Burton is not everyone's cup of tea and even his most accessible films aren't universally adored. So watch Beetlejuice with these things in mind.