Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

August 2, 2017
Beetlejuice is directed by Tim Burton, and it stars Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Winona Ryder, and Michael Keaton in a comedy fantasy about a family that died from a car accident, but remain to be spirits in their own house, and when the new family has come up, they want to scare them away, but are really bad at it, until a sign comes in from Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) who can scare them away, but at a price. I've been a fan of Tim Burton for a long time, and I've seen almost all of them, except for the remake of Planet of the Apes. So when I finished Spider-Man: Homecoming, I wanted to see more of Michael Keaton's films, which I started it with this movie, which is always a classic to watch. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are great together as a couple that you got to learn the basis of their characters until they got in a car accident, and it really gets to them being dead really quickly, which is where it starts to get very inventive. The effects look very creative and great that it doesn't look dated, and the score by Danny Elfman is very catchy that definitely tells us that this is a Tim Burton film. The one that steal the show, is Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice as he's covered in so much make-up that it's almost unrecognizable, but you know that that character is still him, and he knows how to talk very fast like Genie from Aladdin while being consistently funny thanks to the writing by Michael McDowell and Warren Skaaren with some story writing from Larry Wilson. Even the family that move in to the house are enjoyable too with the parents being weird in their own way, while the daughter is seeing spirits and finds more enjoyable stuff in spirits than her own parents. Beetlejuice is a really fun movie that I can rewatch this only for how creative and funny it is, especially when it's Michael Keaton that made one of his star-making performances.
½ June 8, 2017
Tim Burton being bizarre again. A dead couple try to scare the new owners of their house to get them to leave. Good cast, forgot Alec Baldwin and Catherine O'Hara were in this. Starts off on decent footing but seems desperate to outdo itself in its own weirdness, neither funny or really entertaining.
June 7, 2017
Though this second directorial effort from Tim Burton doesn't quite live up the status it has gained since release it is still an overall enjoyable film thanks to its unique visuals and general tone. The cast is also great, the production is solid, I love the score and it is generally entertaining though not quite as funny as I was expecting.
½ May 27, 2017
9 out of 10:

Smart, creepy, and funny, Beetlejuice makes for one heck of a night with its great special effects.
April 20, 2017
Can you believe this was only Tim Burton's second theatrical film?! The vision of the Afterlife is an inspired, unique, fun one. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are great as The Maitlands, as is Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz. That said, the shining star of the film is Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice. He is at his unhinged, ADHD, hilarious best and makes the character an instant, unforgettable icon of cinema. This is Keaton's best character. The film is not without its slow portions (mainly, it's first act), and the story is inspired but simple, but this film is still a classic and one of Burton's best (Quite possibly my favorite of his films).
April 8, 2017
Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!
March 24, 2017
funny, creepy, loving.
March 20, 2017
Dark, twisted black comedy, that keeps you wanting more of the brilliantly twisted Michael Keaton
March 9, 2017
Gave this one another look this afternoon, it'd been a good long while and the film holds up very well.

Features the usual Tim Burton nuttiness combined with Keaton's scenery-chewing acting, a combo that makes for an enjoyable package, and a cute young Winona Ryder sulking about doesn't hurt either.

Recommended.
½ March 6, 2017
Having now watched, or tried to watch, Betelguese I have come to the conclusion Tim Burton is best suited to an artform other than film making. What a flabby, shoddy hash-up. The climax is poorly placed. Act II plot point at the very most. Blimey, what rubbish. I don't like a single one of his films. Even Batman is overrated. A visionary and an animator's director, yes, but not a film maker for me. Strudles.
February 20, 2017
One of my favorite movies in my life
February 13, 2017
Original yet creative Horror comedy mixing a great blend of live action and the occasional stop animation to put into the mix. Great performances all around including Michael Keaton as the title character.
½ February 12, 2017
First off, let me explain my main problem with the film: Betelgeuse himself. While Michael Keaton plays the character very well, and his upbeat and wild attitude makes for a funny experience, he only appears for about 15% of the movie, if that. I truly think that as the title character, he should have way more to do and play a way more integral role in the story than he does. In fact, I think that the whole movie could've been done without him. Burton could've just created a film about two ghosts trying to scare the owners of their house, with hilarious results.
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 25, 2017
I'm sure it's very good...I've seen it a few times but it still leaves me cold and confused.
½ January 19, 2017
One of Tim Burton's finest and most original ideas live on in this movie and Keaton being the star role, completely steals the show. Amazing!
½ January 14, 2017
Second time through, I think this movie's a classic--I mean, really, how many stories are told from the ghost's point of view? It's got its flaws--the sandworms don't make sense at all--but you'll find a lot of what's best about Burton's movies in this one: irreverence, bright colours, a fine balance of the fantastic and the realistic and Danny Elfman's music. Catherine O'Hara's performance is outstanding, too.
January 6, 2017
Wonderful movie. Most enjoyable
½ January 5, 2017
This movie is not for family viewing. I rewatched it after first viewing part of it as a child and remembering being utterly disgusted and afraid. Now I see that the morally grotesque figure - Beetlejuice - is hard to watch even as a male adult.

Finally, the development of the plot seems to simply stall for at least the first half. I expected Beetlejuice to play a more primary and upbeat role, but, alas this is Burton's work after all. Still, the development of the plot felt unsatisfying.