Beetlejuice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beetlejuice Reviews

December 11, 2017
Amazing film, directed by the great Tim Burton himself. Great fan of this film since I was about 8 years old. Watched it at least once a week back in the day! Saw it again recently and the nostalgia hit me instantly, I got sucked right into Michael Keaton's acting, absolute pro all round - Takes his role seriously and might I saw with perfection. His lunatic/psycho traits are definitely seen, shows how great an actor can be.

TL;DR - Loved the film, have done since I was young. 5/5 easy for me. Love Tim Burton's directing in the film.
November 21, 2017
Rated high for the nostalgia factor (this was one of a few movies my Dad had taped off of TV when I was young, and therefore one of the only movies I could watch repeatedly at a young age, but also for the fun!
So wacky and bizarre, it's a wonder a studio gave this movie the greenlight. Plenty of off the wall dark humour, with awesome performances from all the cast, including a pre-Batman Keaton (this is his favourite role of his own, apparently), and a very young Ryder (who now plays an older, but still 80s version of herself in the exceptional Netflix series, Stranger Things).
Some of the special effects are a bit dated, the sand worm scenes especially, but the practical effects of the miniatures and the floating dancing are very fun.
Still a great film, worth watching again for those who remember it (and who remembers the cartoon series based on this show? I liked it as a kid, but I doubt it would hold up now), or watching for those who like wacky Tim Burton humour.
Watched on Shaw on Demand with Sam at our place, October 28, 2017.
October 31, 2017
Great Halloween movie. It's a classic and hilarious
October 30, 2017
Entertaining and creative with its hilarious idea of afterlife, Beetlejuice is an early Tim Burton movie that finds a fine balance between horror and comedy, impressing us with an amazing set design and making us laugh out loud with Michael Keaton's loony performance.
October 29, 2017
A great designed movie with creativity and charm.
October 27, 2017
One of the greatest movies of all time.
½ October 26, 2017
Though a good part of me wishes we could've gotten more of an understanding of (and just more of) the film's unforgettably funny titular character, there's still no denying the talented filmmaking going on here. From the impeccable world-building, to the eye-gasmic production design, to the nostalgic special effects, and the legendary score, "Beetlejuice" is - without question - proof of Tim Burton operating his very best.
October 22, 2017
An OK spook film, though definitely not an ideological mess.
Some good jokes, some boredom.
Think exactly of 13 Reasons Why
5.3/10
½ October 14, 2017
Ha ha! So funny! If you are new to the Tim Burton world this is a good place to start! Filled with laughter, gruesome bits and scream out loud moments!
October 8, 2017
This is one of my favorite Tim Burton movie of all time ever for childhood, its funny, scariest, crazy, and fun
½ October 8, 2017
One of the best 80's films. Totally original. Too bad the sequel was never made. Incredible production design and music. My favorite Michael Keaton performance
October 7, 2017
I love you Michael Keaton!
October 2, 2017
Slow to get going, but it ramps up towards the end, definitely worth it
September 20, 2017
One of my favourite films ever !
½ September 14, 2017
I would say the story and the supporting cast doesn't age well. But Michael Keaton's lunatic performance transcends the movie and becomes one of the most underappreciated villains in modern cinema.
August 22, 2017
an all time classic and beloved favourite of my family. Keaton really brings it home with his gruesome character. and ryders solemn with a hint of humour interpretation of a lonely teenage girl is a real joy to watch. all in all this is a movie buffs bread and butter
August 2, 2017
Beetlejuice is directed by Tim Burton, and it stars Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Winona Ryder, and Michael Keaton in a comedy fantasy about a family that died from a car accident, but remain to be spirits in their own house, and when the new family has come up, they want to scare them away, but are really bad at it, until a sign comes in from Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton) who can scare them away, but at a price. I've been a fan of Tim Burton for a long time, and I've seen almost all of them, except for the remake of Planet of the Apes. So when I finished Spider-Man: Homecoming, I wanted to see more of Michael Keaton's films, which I started it with this movie, which is always a classic to watch. Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are great together as a couple that you got to learn the basis of their characters until they got in a car accident, and it really gets to them being dead really quickly, which is where it starts to get very inventive. The effects look very creative and great that it doesn't look dated, and the score by Danny Elfman is very catchy that definitely tells us that this is a Tim Burton film. The one that steal the show, is Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice as he's covered in so much make-up that it's almost unrecognizable, but you know that that character is still him, and he knows how to talk very fast like Genie from Aladdin while being consistently funny thanks to the writing by Michael McDowell and Warren Skaaren with some story writing from Larry Wilson. Even the family that move in to the house are enjoyable too with the parents being weird in their own way, while the daughter is seeing spirits and finds more enjoyable stuff in spirits than her own parents. Beetlejuice is a really fun movie that I can rewatch this only for how creative and funny it is, especially when it's Michael Keaton that made one of his star-making performances.
½ June 8, 2017
Tim Burton being bizarre again. A dead couple try to scare the new owners of their house to get them to leave. Good cast, forgot Alec Baldwin and Catherine O'Hara were in this. Starts off on decent footing but seems desperate to outdo itself in its own weirdness, neither funny or really entertaining.
June 7, 2017
Though this second directorial effort from Tim Burton doesn't quite live up the status it has gained since release it is still an overall enjoyable film thanks to its unique visuals and general tone. The cast is also great, the production is solid, I love the score and it is generally entertaining though not quite as funny as I was expecting.