Behind the Candelabra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Behind the Candelabra Reviews

October 10, 2017
A very sweet and touching movie with great performances by actors who have great chemistry together.
October 2, 2017
A portrait of the time
June 26, 2017
Was a very good movie.
May 9, 2017
I went into Behind the Candelabra with relatively neutral expectations. I was, of course, excited at the prospect of a star-studded Soderbergh film, but had no idea what the story with Liberace was. Probably couldn't even name one of his songs.
But I was straight up blown away. While I think I still know nothing about his career, I did witness a fascinating "lust" story, anchored by two perfect performances from Damon and - good god how did this happen?! - Michael Douglas.
I should mention the beautiful production design and crackling script, as well. The combination of events makes this film just an insane amount of fun.
May 1, 2017
I've never liked Michael Douglas, but I would have thought Michael Douglas was Liberace, himself. Damon acted like he was disgusted playing the partâ¦maybe because his Mother was on the set the whole timeâ¦why was that?? Was she making sure her son didn't go too far and start playing the real life Liberace, maybe??
March 3, 2017
Well made movie about some crazy assholes. Kinda slow once you get the idea. Maybe a bit too heavy and hard to see all any good in the characters.
February 28, 2017
Such a great story. Loved the relationship between the two of them.
February 13, 2017
Michael Douglass and Matt Damon transform into Liberace and his much younger lover respectively. Lots of great supporting players here too. Debbie Reynolds as Liberace's mother and Rob Lowe as a plastic surgeon steal their respective scenes. While there times the pacing is a bit slow the movie is nonetheless entertaining. There is a lot to like here but we don't learn too much about one of the most fascinating men of the 20th century. Final Score 8.0/10
½ December 17, 2016
Quick! Here's a movie all the critics can virtue signal on... you know how much they love doing that.
This was a terrible, long winded film that lingered just like an unwanted guest that does not know when to leave.
A portrait of a putrid man and his victim... who was one of many.
November 6, 2016
A compelling story that is full of excess, drama, and a fair share of creepiness that will keep you glued to the screen.
½ September 28, 2016
Beautifully directed from Steven Soderbergh and boasting magnetic lead performances from Michael Douglas and Matt Damon, Behind the Candelabra is honest, stylish and entertaining.
½ September 24, 2016
Ok. Had way more kissing and Matt Damon's rear end than expected. It was a little dull at times, but Michael Douglas and Matt Damon were superb.
August 21, 2016
Behind the candelabra cuenta la historia de Liberace y quien fue el amor de su vida, Scott Thorson. Un pianista, Liberace, viviendo una vida entre lujo, confort, extravagancia, todo una estrella que se presumía sería gay, pero que vivía una vida paralela en la década de los 70's y 80's donde la homosexualidad era tabú y casitgaba con el rechazo social aún a sus ídolos musicales más grandes. Liberace era un hombre maduro con 40 años de carrera que vivió su amor con Thorson, un hombre joven al que prácticamente le doblaba o triplicaba en edad. Una relación apasionada, pero también llena de celos, excesos y problemas en el margo de una ciudad como Las Vegas. Gran actuación de Michael Douglas (Liberace) y de Matt Damon ( Scott Thorson) con Dan Aykroyd, Rob Lowe.
½ August 13, 2016
Pretty good for an HBO movie.
July 27, 2016
Scott Thorson: "I'm bisexual."

Liberace: "Well which half likes women? I haven't met that half yet."
½ April 11, 2016
Watching Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in fur coats and makeup , PRICELESS.

I think one of Douglas' best performance.
March 29, 2016
Entertaining biopic giving you good insight into the life of Liberace. Does give you one perspective but still good. The performances are superb with some food direction.
March 7, 2016
Stellar acting by Damon and Douglas, great production design, but the film could easily have clocked in 20 minutes earlier. The ending is quite cheesy, but I'm sure Liberace would have loved it. Still, a pretty entertaining albeit one-sided biopic.
March 7, 2016
Why do I love you? I love you not only for what you are, But for what I am when I'm with you I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, But for what you are making of me. I love you for ignoring the possibilities of the fool in me, And for accepting the possibilities of the good in me. Why do I love you? I love you for closing your eyes to the discords in me, And for adding to the music in me by worshipful listening. I love you for helping me to construct of my life Not a tavern but a temple I love you because you have done so much to make me happy. You have done it without a word, without a touch, without a sign You have done it by just being yourself Perhaps after all, that is what love means And that is why I love you.