Behind the Candelabra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Behind the Candelabra Reviews

July 27, 2016
Scott Thorson: "I'm bisexual."

Liberace: "Well which half likes women? I haven't met that half yet."
May 20, 2016
A compelling story that is full of excess, drama, and a fair share of creepiness that will keep you glued to the screen.
½ April 11, 2016
Watching Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in fur coats and makeup , PRICELESS.

I think one of Douglas' best performance.
March 29, 2016
Entertaining biopic giving you good insight into the life of Liberace. Does give you one perspective but still good. The performances are superb with some food direction.
March 7, 2016
Stellar acting by Damon and Douglas, great production design, but the film could easily have clocked in 20 minutes earlier. The ending is quite cheesy, but I'm sure Liberace would have loved it. Still, a pretty entertaining albeit one-sided biopic.
March 7, 2016
Why do I love you? I love you not only for what you are, But for what I am when I'm with you I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, But for what you are making of me. I love you for ignoring the possibilities of the fool in me, And for accepting the possibilities of the good in me. Why do I love you? I love you for closing your eyes to the discords in me, And for adding to the music in me by worshipful listening. I love you for helping me to construct of my life Not a tavern but a temple I love you because you have done so much to make me happy. You have done it without a word, without a touch, without a sign You have done it by just being yourself Perhaps after all, that is what love means And that is why I love you.
½ February 29, 2016
The performances are superb...ranging from delightfully camp and outrageous to poignant and subtle. Wonderfully sharp direction from Soderbergh. This film made me laugh, cry and reflect. Great.
½ February 26, 2016
Liberace was never my favourite entertainer and this wasn't Eleanor's favourite film of the week either. Nonetheless it's exquisitely done, with both Michael Douglas and Matt Damon barely recognisable in the central roles of this gay romance. It's Hollywood doing what it does best - introspection. It's a bit ugly and a bit pathetic, and it's all beautifully and sympathetically portrayed.
February 12, 2016
Made me uncomfortable. Almost like I was looking in someone's bedroom window. I will never look at Michael Douglas or Matt Damon quite the same again
February 2, 2016
Sorry. Couldn't get in to it. And no matter how hard I tried, it still looked like Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in ridiculous wigs.
January 23, 2016
Sexy, fabulous, and adding a flare of the dramatic, Behind the Candelabra is wonderfully scted by the multi-talented duo of Michael Douglas and Matt Damon: the perfect choices for both roles. Rob Lowe adds sass as a plastic surgeon who does work on Liberace and Scott. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who would like to see acting at its finest.
January 20, 2016
One of the funniest and (in a different light) most tragic movies ever. Two heterosexual actors play the gay leads magnificently. And (for the most part) it's true!
January 8, 2016
Exactly as I thought it would be! ??????????????
½ January 7, 2016
Predictable story arc, bolstered considerably by fantastic, vanity-free performances and brilliant make-up work. And the costumes darling!
January 6, 2016
I've never liked Michael Douglas, but I would have thought Michael Douglas was Liberace, himself. Damon acted like he was disgusted playing the partmaybe because his Mother was on the set the whole timewhy was that??
½ January 3, 2016
Funny and v well-acted biopic of the last years of Liberace, and in particular his relationship with Scott Thorson. The counter-intuitive casting of Michael Douglas and Matt Damon pays real dividends and Soderbergh really captures the sleazy mirror ball of seventies Las Vegas and the loneliness of extreme wealth.
January 2, 2016
Excellent biography of the celebrated pianist and showman Liberace.
½ December 31, 2015
I finally saw Behind the Candleabra this week on our new Netflix account. Michael Douglas was superb as the flamboyant Liberace and Matt Damon was completely believable. Good movie.
December 31, 2015
Absolutely brilliant. Great performance by Matt Damon & Micheal Douglas. Def worth a watch