Behind the Candelabra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Behind the Candelabra Reviews

March 29, 2018
Great Writing: 2 Stars
Superbly written and written for the screen. Its only set back is its quick advancement through time.

Great Production: 2 Stars
A great production, everything was a puzzle piece fitting perfectly in place with moments of cinematography masterwork.
February 18, 2018
Production 2 of 2.5
A flawless production, everything was a puzzle piece fitting perfectly in place with moments of cinematography masterwork.

Writing 2 of 2.5
January 24, 2018
Behind the Candelabra serves up a menu of candid flamboyance, intense romance and a brilliant flame of unresolved conflict from the cockpit of the concert stage.
October 10, 2017
A very sweet and touching movie with great performances by actors who have great chemistry together.
October 2, 2017
A portrait of the time
June 26, 2017
Was a very good movie.
May 9, 2017
I went into Behind the Candelabra with relatively neutral expectations. I was, of course, excited at the prospect of a star-studded Soderbergh film, but had no idea what the story with Liberace was. Probably couldn't even name one of his songs.
But I was straight up blown away. While I think I still know nothing about his career, I did witness a fascinating "lust" story, anchored by two perfect performances from Damon and - good god how did this happen?! - Michael Douglas.
I should mention the beautiful production design and crackling script, as well. The combination of events makes this film just an insane amount of fun.
May 1, 2017
I've never liked Michael Douglas, but I would have thought Michael Douglas was Liberace, himself. Damon acted like he was disgusted playing the partâ¦maybe because his Mother was on the set the whole timeâ¦why was that?? Was she making sure her son didn't go too far and start playing the real life Liberace, maybe??
March 3, 2017
Well made movie about some crazy assholes. Kinda slow once you get the idea. Maybe a bit too heavy and hard to see all any good in the characters.
February 28, 2017
Such a great story. Loved the relationship between the two of them.
February 13, 2017
Michael Douglass and Matt Damon transform into Liberace and his much younger lover respectively. Lots of great supporting players here too. Debbie Reynolds as Liberace's mother and Rob Lowe as a plastic surgeon steal their respective scenes. While there times the pacing is a bit slow the movie is nonetheless entertaining. There is a lot to like here but we don't learn too much about one of the most fascinating men of the 20th century. Final Score 8.0/10
½ December 17, 2016
Quick! Here's a movie all the critics can virtue signal on... you know how much they love doing that.
This was a terrible, long winded film that lingered just like an unwanted guest that does not know when to leave.
A portrait of a putrid man and his victim... who was one of many.
November 6, 2016
A compelling story that is full of excess, drama, and a fair share of creepiness that will keep you glued to the screen.
½ September 28, 2016
Beautifully directed from Steven Soderbergh and boasting magnetic lead performances from Michael Douglas and Matt Damon, Behind the Candelabra is honest, stylish and entertaining.
½ September 24, 2016
Ok. Had way more kissing and Matt Damon's rear end than expected. It was a little dull at times, but Michael Douglas and Matt Damon were superb.
August 21, 2016
Behind the candelabra cuenta la historia de Liberace y quien fue el amor de su vida, Scott Thorson. Un pianista, Liberace, viviendo una vida entre lujo, confort, extravagancia, todo una estrella que se presumía sería gay, pero que vivía una vida paralela en la década de los 70's y 80's donde la homosexualidad era tabú y casitgaba con el rechazo social aún a sus ídolos musicales más grandes. Liberace era un hombre maduro con 40 años de carrera que vivió su amor con Thorson, un hombre joven al que prácticamente le doblaba o triplicaba en edad. Una relación apasionada, pero también llena de celos, excesos y problemas en el margo de una ciudad como Las Vegas. Gran actuación de Michael Douglas (Liberace) y de Matt Damon ( Scott Thorson) con Dan Aykroyd, Rob Lowe.
½ August 13, 2016
Pretty good for an HBO movie.
July 27, 2016
Scott Thorson: "I'm bisexual."

Liberace: "Well which half likes women? I haven't met that half yet."
½ April 11, 2016
Watching Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in fur coats and makeup , PRICELESS.

I think one of Douglas' best performance.
March 29, 2016
Entertaining biopic giving you good insight into the life of Liberace. Does give you one perspective but still good. The performances are superb with some food direction.