Behind the Candelabra - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Behind the Candelabra Reviews

½ December 17, 2016
Quick! Here's a movie all the critics can virtue signal on... you know how much they love doing that.
This was a terrible, long winded film that lingered just like an unwanted guest that does not know when to leave.
A portrait of a putrid man and his victim... who was one of many.
November 6, 2016
A compelling story that is full of excess, drama, and a fair share of creepiness that will keep you glued to the screen.
½ September 28, 2016
Beautifully directed from Steven Soderbergh and boasting magnetic lead performances from Michael Douglas and Matt Damon, Behind the Candelabra is honest, stylish and entertaining.
½ September 24, 2016
Ok. Had way more kissing and Matt Damon's rear end than expected. It was a little dull at times, but Michael Douglas and Matt Damon were superb.
August 21, 2016
Behind the candelabra cuenta la historia de Liberace y quien fue el amor de su vida, Scott Thorson. Un pianista, Liberace, viviendo una vida entre lujo, confort, extravagancia, todo una estrella que se presumía sería gay, pero que vivía una vida paralela en la década de los 70's y 80's donde la homosexualidad era tabú y casitgaba con el rechazo social aún a sus ídolos musicales más grandes. Liberace era un hombre maduro con 40 años de carrera que vivió su amor con Thorson, un hombre joven al que prácticamente le doblaba o triplicaba en edad. Una relación apasionada, pero también llena de celos, excesos y problemas en el margo de una ciudad como Las Vegas. Gran actuación de Michael Douglas (Liberace) y de Matt Damon ( Scott Thorson) con Dan Aykroyd, Rob Lowe.
½ August 13, 2016
Pretty good for an HBO movie.
July 27, 2016
Scott Thorson: "I'm bisexual."

Liberace: "Well which half likes women? I haven't met that half yet."
½ April 11, 2016
Watching Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in fur coats and makeup , PRICELESS.

I think one of Douglas' best performance.
March 29, 2016
Entertaining biopic giving you good insight into the life of Liberace. Does give you one perspective but still good. The performances are superb with some food direction.
March 7, 2016
Stellar acting by Damon and Douglas, great production design, but the film could easily have clocked in 20 minutes earlier. The ending is quite cheesy, but I'm sure Liberace would have loved it. Still, a pretty entertaining albeit one-sided biopic.
March 7, 2016
Why do I love you? I love you not only for what you are, But for what I am when I'm with you I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, But for what you are making of me. I love you for ignoring the possibilities of the fool in me, And for accepting the possibilities of the good in me. Why do I love you? I love you for closing your eyes to the discords in me, And for adding to the music in me by worshipful listening. I love you for helping me to construct of my life Not a tavern but a temple I love you because you have done so much to make me happy. You have done it without a word, without a touch, without a sign You have done it by just being yourself Perhaps after all, that is what love means And that is why I love you.
½ February 29, 2016
The performances are superb...ranging from delightfully camp and outrageous to poignant and subtle. Wonderfully sharp direction from Soderbergh. This film made me laugh, cry and reflect. Great.
½ February 26, 2016
Liberace was never my favourite entertainer and this wasn't Eleanor's favourite film of the week either. Nonetheless it's exquisitely done, with both Michael Douglas and Matt Damon barely recognisable in the central roles of this gay romance. It's Hollywood doing what it does best - introspection. It's a bit ugly and a bit pathetic, and it's all beautifully and sympathetically portrayed.
February 12, 2016
Made me uncomfortable. Almost like I was looking in someone's bedroom window. I will never look at Michael Douglas or Matt Damon quite the same again
February 2, 2016
Sorry. Couldn't get in to it. And no matter how hard I tried, it still looked like Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in ridiculous wigs.
January 23, 2016
Sexy, fabulous, and adding a flare of the dramatic, Behind the Candelabra is wonderfully scted by the multi-talented duo of Michael Douglas and Matt Damon: the perfect choices for both roles. Rob Lowe adds sass as a plastic surgeon who does work on Liberace and Scott. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who would like to see acting at its finest.
January 20, 2016
One of the funniest and (in a different light) most tragic movies ever. Two heterosexual actors play the gay leads magnificently. And (for the most part) it's true!
January 8, 2016
Exactly as I thought it would be! ð???ð???ð???ð??·â?¨ð?¦?
½ January 7, 2016
Predictable story arc, bolstered considerably by fantastic, vanity-free performances and brilliant make-up work. And the costumes darling!