Besieged - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Besieged Reviews

½ December 30, 2014
Not quite what I was expecting. I suppose what makes it alluring is the fact that it is "artsy." The characters do not speak much, not even to each other. You have to pay attention to things like a stare, a frown, the incessant piano playing in the background. Half the time I could not even follow what was happening. Worth seeing to some extent.
½ February 13, 2013
A tad too stretched for my liking but done well in terms of cinematic technicalities...
½ May 11, 2012
About as surreal an experience any asylum-seeker could find, but not one of Bertolucci's best films which is slow and staid.
September 24, 2011
i love the color composition in this movie and the focus on the hands reflecting the emotions of the people. a dramatic bertolucci movie.
May 13, 2011
very underated bertolucci
January 27, 2011
Dec 2010 (with Kaveh and Setareh) - This was a very good romantic movie and it got better and better as it progressed. The music is very good and integrates so well with the story. Also I couldn't be happier with the ending. The suspense is appropriate and I like the fact that there has been a careful choice to avoid lengthening the ending. I was a bit unhappy with English chosen as the main language and I also thought the beginning was a bit slow and made it easy to get distracted.
September 19, 2010
Sadece kamera kullanımıyla bile alıp götürüyor Bertolucci.
July 18, 2010
A finely nuanced and strangely magnetic little character study.
½ May 10, 2010
I thought it was a beautiful love story. For a man to go to that extent for love is unheard of. It was a enchanting story and once again David Thewlis was incredible.
½ April 8, 2010
Besieged was an useless combination of political and romantic drama, wandering back and forth between the two leads that never really had reached each other. The movie had an interesting beginning with the imprisonment of Shandurai's husband, but the story gradually fell apart after that. There was no emotional force driving the events in the movie and there was never any satisfying realization of Shandurai's sadness. It was fine performance by Thandie Newton in the lead, but Bertolucci's lack to balance out the two halves of the story, stopped the characters from reaching their full potential, and so we could not seen a fascinating drama. Too bad.
mvieaddict
½ April 7, 2010
March 15, 2010
muito bom, apesar da atuao fraca de david thewlis... a no ser que aqueles tiques e a cara de maluco do professor de piano fossem propositais.
½ November 22, 2009
When your movie's biggest buzz surrounds a well-known actress in the buff you KNOW there's something wrong with the script. Yes, Thandie Newton did a nude scene in this movie. She's a fantastic actress, but they wasted her talents in trade for seeing her skin. Never a good trade.
October 29, 2009
The film seduced me against my better judgment. Bertolucci and his male protaganist, Mr.Kinsey, conjour up imaginary constructs of female protaganist Shandurai. She is shrouded in the stereotypical oranges, browns and greens of a generic Africa; eroticized through associations of exquisite musical sequences of Malian (?) singer, J.C. Ojwang; and venerated, as the curves of her flesh are captured in the gaze of the camera. Nonetheless, moments of potential depth stumble into the story. Sadly, though, they never stand on their own. Shandurai dreams of her home town, and tearing down a political poster; on it the face of the military leader responsible for her husband?s abduction, is transposed with that of Mr.Kinsey. Despite the fact that we are made to take lust for love in this tale of stolen glances, I found myself inextricably drawn in.
½ October 7, 2009
Wish more character depth had been shown.
September 3, 2009
A graceful, visually exquisite piece that (on a second watch) works for me despite its flaws. The languid nature of the narrative is obviously a detractor as far as audience connection goes, but it works to establish an enigmatic presence for both of the main characters. The story has a poetic sensibility that allows us to discard some of our expectations as to what the movie is going to deliver. David Thewlis is brilliant, as always, and Thandie Newton is very strong too. That's saying a lot, since the actors have very little dialogue to establish their performances with. Watch it once, think about it, and then watch it again.
½ September 1, 2009
Nice love story. I hated that she had to be an Brown maid with no mention of the fact that she was also an A MEDstudent....I suppose they had to figure out a way to insert her into his life. Closing scene was Soooo good, love the closing scene...all that love.
½ August 21, 2009
beleza, profundidade e tima atuao =) david thewlis como sempre um destaque.