Beyond the Lights Reviews

• Jul 11, 2020

It was like a newer, updated version of The Bodyguard, without as much awesome singing but without the leaden acting of Costner and Houston. Very much of a guilty pleasure. Gugu Mbatha Raw is so pretty that straight girls will leave the movie with a crush. And Nate Parker fools you into thinking he's Denzel for 2 hours.

• Jul 04, 2020

It was pretty decent as far as popstar movies go. The overbearing mother element was also well carried out. Minnie Driver was convincing as your would be Joe Jackson/Mama June. Raw and Parker had really good chemistry too. It's worth a watch.

• Jul 02, 2020

It felt a little low budget but a nice story that was captivating throughout. I liked how she wasn't a complete damsel in distress but the guy who was the hero actually learnt some lessons off her. I just wanted to put a jumper on her and give her a cuddle the whole time so it was good because I often fall into the trap of disliking pop stars especially the hyper sexual ones but now I've gained understanding and sympathy for them thanks to this movie which I guess is the goal of cinema right? Oh and the leading man is gorgeous!

• Feb 13, 2020

This drama was better than I thought it would be. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Minnie Driver, and Nate Parker did an excellent job in this movie. The story of the movie was pretty interesting and dramatic throughout. It's about finding what you truly want in life instead of doing what others want you to do. In addition, it's not your typical love story and that's what makes this movie great. I'd recommend it.

• Oct 19, 2019

Beyond cliche’d. But the young star talent is off the map. Worth a watch.

Beyond cliche’d. But the young star talent is off the map. Worth a watch.

• Oct 20, 2018

I LOVED this movie! Amazing acting and the story is so real

I LOVED this movie! Amazing acting and the story is so real

• Aug 11, 2018

Just a great film! Gugu M'Batharaw's performance was nothing shirt of masterful. So much vulnerability and emotion with just a look and that scene at the bar is a star making one. Outstanding!

• Jul 21, 2018

absolute waste of time!

absolute waste of time!

• Jun 23, 2018

I had to watch this movie for my Art of Cinema college class, I honestly went into this movie without any expectations and expecting it to be boring or cheesy/cliche. But I was pleasantly surprise on how much I enjoyed this movie, although the ending was a little predictable, the romance between Nono and Kaz was cute and I enjoyed the character development they both went through.

• Jul 02, 2017

Very smooth and well made. I'm totally gaga for Gugu!

Very smooth and well made. I'm totally gaga for Gugu!