The Big Country Reviews

• Sep 25, 2020

There are dozens of movies where an Eastern tenderfoot has to prove his mettle among hardened Western gunmen. This one is a cut above most others in that category. I found the Oscar-nominated musical score to be a bit overbearing, however.

• Aug 20, 2020

One of the great Westerns of the 1950's. Superior acting (Burl Ives steals the show), cinematography, and music. An American classic.

• Jul 20, 2020

It drags in places but worth watching for its stars.

It drags in places but worth watching for its stars.

• Jan 04, 2020

I discovered this movie as a teenager - through the soundtrack owned by jazz musician Art Blakey when I babysat his kids in the 1950's. Totally different music style from jazz, but lovely - inspired images of grace, beauty and strength. When I first saw the movie I was caught up in the wide open space cross country galloping stage coach ride and music played throughout the opening titles. The countryside is so dry and dusty, not pretty to me but rugged - totally took me into a different way of life from New York City, and a background that gave reality to the lives and tensions of the story and characters. Sixty plus years later and while watching this favorite once more I still love it. Scenery, story, pacing, acting, music - for me this movie is a gem.

• Dec 31, 2019

One of my favorite westerns. Burl Ives has a field day for which he won an Oscar as a smart but brutish cattle baron. Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston are excellent. Great direction by the brilliant William Wyler and an unforgettable score.

• Dec 04, 2019

An absolute MASTERPIECE! One of the greatest anti-war movies ever made.

An absolute MASTERPIECE! One of the greatest anti-war movies ever made.

• Aug 27, 2019

Simply one of the best westerns ever made, if not the best. Dazzling cinematography and a simple story that enchants for its near on 3 hours. Peck, Heston, Jean Simmons and particularly Burl Ives give amazing performances.

• Aug 19, 2019

Movies and Westerns don't come much better. Cinematically stunning, a story of love, power and ambition - with a fab soundtrack too. It takes its time but does not feel long. Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston fight it out on the screen for supremacy but settle on respect. Each man is confronted with a choice between right or wrong with tragic consequences.

• Aug 04, 2019