Big Wednesday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Wednesday Reviews

December 3, 2016
This is my Favorite Movie Ever! Exactly like our times--
November 7, 2016
This film's not just about surfin' but about life - it's only while you are young when you can ride the waves, and time to go back to the land (to be mature) comes to everybody. It's also about men's friendship, love to women, and of course above all, the wave as the symbol of our dream. This is the film that has never-fading soul.
March 20, 2016
Loved it! But try to see an updated copy in widescreen. Fun, yet very real.
½ October 9, 2014
Despite the movie's bad acting, awkward plot jumps, stretches of blandness and syrupy sentiment out the wazoo, 'Big Wednesday' is really rather touching. Maybe that's because youth oftentimes is a mix of the bad, the awkward, the bland and the sentimental?
½ May 4, 2014
This is the heart of what it was like to grow up in California (qualified: You are at least 60 yrs. old today, from LA, from a upper middle class family and white)
April 23, 2014
One of my favorite films growing up!
April 22, 2014
Superb coming of age film. I'm not sure any film covers the period between graduation and adult responsibility as well as this. I can only think of American Graffiti and Dazed and Confused that come close. Great score too.
½ February 15, 2014
A bit slow and dull for me.
½ December 1, 2013
Kind of an "American Graffiti" only instead of cruising and cars, it's the beach and surfing on the cusp of the Vietnam War arriving and changing everything. A shaggy dog, to be sure, with awkward story pacing and flat acting here and there (and the Tijuana sequence I think was solely written so the cast and crew could go to Tijuana on the studio's dime). BUT. A lot of heart went into this and the surfing sequences are nicely done. Also nice to see these three actors so early in their careers (Robert Englund also has a supporting role, pre-"Freddy"). Definitely a fine first effort from John Milius directing his own screenplay.
August 12, 2013
The film is good but is disjointed especially in the character development side. A coming of age drama with Vietnam in the background though this side is not developed more of the fear of the draft and not wanting to fight. The characters seem to develop without any consistency of character and a couple of characters and scenes become a bit implausible. The surfing shots save the film and its a shame the script wasn't sure what it wanted to be or where to go.
July 2, 2013
Awesoem surf movie with 3 surfer pals who have the uneasiness coming to terms about growing up, getting jobs, getting drafted and falling apart with each other. Incredible surf scenes with typical 70's hijinks of teens getting into trouble and making out. One of a kind cast with Busey Vincent and Katt playing convincing buddies proving friendship last the surf waves can be overwhelming. Full of old songs and gorgeous babes, make this one awesome ride.
May 7, 2013
way cool!! dam good story to see
January 8, 2013
yhis movie is one of my altime favorites.
November 28, 2012
John Milius' most personal film and in many ways his best. It's not really a film about surfing so much as a film about the importance of rituals in solidifying bonds of friendship, and the importance of those bonds in carrying you through rough and changing times. It has nostalgic elements like "American Graffiti", but it's less about nostalgia than it is about change. Milius' great fondness for John Ford really shines through in this film. There's a cameo by Hank Worden, but more importantly, it feels thematically and stylistically tied to Ford's great films about the interactions between masculine bonding and community. Cult film fans will note small roles for Robert Englund and Reb Brown.
July 28, 2012
I'm usually more about the charaters and Bussey, Kat, and Vincent nailed it. Interesting as a character study.
September 18, 2011
70's classic, the best surf movie ever made, but it is way more than just a surf movie.
½ August 3, 2011
american classic about youth, frendship and choices we make!
½ July 28, 2011
Bought on a drunken visit to Sainsburys for £3, this is an an underrated classic. Where you been all my life.
July 4, 2011
Not a great film, to be honest, looks like the budget was low, creativity also low and story was lacking in depth..
January 16, 2011
A film about friendship formed from the love of riding the waves. Some touching and funny moments. I felt myself being a bit detached in parts. Possibly because i could not relate to things such as the violence at the party.