Billy Madison - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Billy Madison Reviews

April 15, 2018
Alright, I'm going to be brutally honest and try not to sound as biased as possible. First, I will preface by saying I grew up with this movie and it may or may not sway my opinion of the film. I have an extreme sense of nostalgia when I watch this movie nowadays. I won't say that makes it a good or bad film because I bet there are a lot people that feel the same way about other movies they grew up with. Another thing I will say is that I grew up with Adam Sandler in my house from Billy Madison to Big Daddy. Recently I rewatched Happy Gilmore from start to finish which is something I haven't done in a long time. I have to say I wasn't that impressed, it had a few moments but I thought it fell a bit flat for me. Now, I will talk about Billy Madison. The score is an odd choice but goes surprisingly well with the film itself. The acting is actually pretty great for being your "run of the mill" comedy. Billy's dad, Eric, Billy, and Juanita stand out. Adam Sandler has been in quite a few flops but I think this is far from it. The first scene in the film, you see him in his current state a drunk loser that has nothing really going for him. He lives live the way he wants instead of the way he should as the film progresses he matures until finally becoming what his father dreamed he could be. Honestly, the character development in this film works pretty well when you compare to some of his other films. At the end of the film you're not rooting for the villain or anti hero, it's more like rooting for the hero that was a villain so to speak. One of the scenes that stands out to me in terms of comedy is when they have the musical number halfway towards the film. Not to get too deep into it, but that was almost the turning point of his entire character. Even when he promised to go back to school to please his father I felt like he was just trying to make his father happy and wasn't too serious, and when you couple that with the fact that he dances to that song on the stairway, it shows that he's still in his earlier party state. What makes this movie work for me as an audience member is the humanitarian aspect of it. Even when they show him at the end with his diploma, you see the teachers from his previous grades and the kids that were always there for him. It's actually a pretty dynamic film if you dissect it enough, even I'm learning of new things as I write this review. Think about when he threw the dodgeball at the kids and yelled at the kid for saying donkey Kong sucks, flip that around and see how he treats the children later in the film. There's a long running gag in the film with the o'Doyle family which in a Karmic aspect, get what's coming to them with the banana peel, which adds another level of comedy to the film. Not only is it your traditional banana peel slip gag but you see it throughout the film molding and you expect someone to slip on it until it eventually happens. Another awakening moment for Billy is when he goes to high school. He thinks he is cool but everyone sees him as a reject. He makes quips at the Professor which the audience may find funny but not the classmates, and he plays the older classic rock music and style he grew up with which everyone thinks is not cool by today's standards which makes Billy feel out of place. Now the villain in this film is Eric who I think steals the show, I'm not too familiar with the actor himself but he plays the role so well that every time I watch the film I can't help but root against him. He plays a true comical villain, every plan he makes against Billy backfired against him and ultimately leads to him getting shot in the buttock and he is even seen during Billy's graduation in crutches which adds to Billy's heroic payoff. Eric in essence is the true villain and plays it very well, helps character is not as dynamic as Billy's and he's driven only by achieving his goal of attaining the company and is willing to get it at the expense of the hero. The movie is full of characters that when on screen steal the show so it's hard to pin point certain people, a good example of this is a character you only really see for about 2 minutes and it's the elderly woman who makes probably the two best lines in the film one involving Miles Davis and the other, Sasquatch. If you look at this film in the ways I've presented them it should make your film experience more enjoyable, because even though I first enjoyed this film as a child I think I enjoy even more as an adult. The turning point in a man's life where decides what he wants and what he needs, the turning point from villain to hero, the whacky yet necessary cast of characters, and the nostalgic feeling of your own days at school. I think it's a more dynamic film then what other people have branded it as. In essence, it's comedy in its purest form. I think Adam Sandler is really talented and I applaud everyone who worked to create this timeless comedy.
March 29, 2018
Along with Happy Gilmore, this is classic Sandler.
½ March 8, 2018
Though miles better than current Sandler stuff, this is one of his classics that doesn't hold up that well for me.
January 13, 2018
i award you no points..

Billy Madison

Irony is that it is an R rated comedy to which only kids would approve of and let along considering its premise which basically works on some one-liners.
October 22, 2017
Crude, childish, stupid. and a lot of sexual jokes. The usual Adam Sandler combination. But it made me laugh. Hard.

4/5 stars
September 6, 2017
it has a story that can set up alot of laughs and on some levels it does but some of the jokes are hit or miss and the love story between billy and his teacher is forced and rushed
September 3, 2017
Billy Madison was a surprisingly good movie. It had a ton of funny moments and a likable cast. Again like most Adam Sandler movies there isn't really a great plot but for a movie like this it doesn't matter that much. There were some dumb moments in this movie but it worked. Those moments were funny and hit the mark. Overall Billy Madison is definitely worth your time. I highly recommend it over many of the recent Adam Sandler movies. B+
½ August 14, 2017
Though kinda stupid, Billy Madison is a decent enough comedy. I recommend this to immature teens.
July 7, 2017
The funniest film I've seen all year. Probably Adam Sandler's best role and best comedy movie. Dumb at times, but very enjoyable.
June 9, 2017
Adam Sandler hasn't developed much over the years but what he did on the earlier films was develop a film worthy of the character he created. Billy Madison has held up over time and while not being comedy gold it showcases a time when Sandlers humour was fresh. You look at the films that followed these, mainly the later years and you question what went wrong. The key component is a likable storyline and comedies cannot survive without a 3 act structure and wide variety of characters. This is why Sandlers earlier films did not feel like a cash cow for all the people in it. Sandler is at the lead, giving a likable performance and you want him to succeed and survive the obstacles. I caught this on Netflix again the other day and will probably be the last time I see this film, it is still likable and Sandler is not lazy like the later films. This is a film that is a showcase for what he is capable of doing. 10-06-2017.
½ June 2, 2017
good but not quite Happy Gilmore level
May 20, 2017
One of the better Sandler movies, but still a bad flick.
May 4, 2017
Perhaps one of the more insanely idiotic movies ever made. I'm sure that we are all dumber for having watched it, but I love it anyways. Adam Sandler is hilarious in one of his best movies. It's still very funny after seeing it multiple times through the years. (First viewing - Late childhood)
April 24, 2017
Couldnt stop cracking up! Just so funny, funnier than I remembered it
April 20, 2017
This is definitely my favorite Adam Sandler flick. Love this film. I think its a super funny film(especially since Adam Sandler is in it). 10 out of 10 stars.
April 3, 2017
One of the few Sandler comedies I could sit through without killing myself. I enjoyed the relationship between him and the teacher. The whole idea of going back through all 12 years of high school is kind of funny to me. But Sandler doesn't make it work.
February 13, 2017
In this movie I gave this movie a 5 star just because Adam sander is just so funny in the whole movie .
½ February 4, 2017
I enjoyed it, but it's nothing phenomenal. Definitely not the best Sandler flick out there.
½ December 27, 2016
It's not rewarding in any way, but Billy Madison has some undeniably (if incredibly sophomoric) funny moments that rank among some of Adam Sandlers best gags.
December 23, 2016