Billy Madison - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Billy Madison Reviews

April 8, 2019
While everybody seems to hate on this movie for being "childish," I'm pretty sure that's the point. Needless to say, this is a hilarious and fun movie. Sandler's best, in my opinion.
March 11, 2019
this movie was my child hood and is way better then the rating
March 8, 2019
This is one of the few Adam Sandler movies I did not like
½ February 25, 2019
How in God's name did anyone at a studio greenlight this piece of cr*p?

There are screenwriters that can't even get someone to look at their work, but this made it through??
February 8, 2019
It's okay, but the weird humour and stupid jokes are, well, STUPID.
December 24, 2018
Overall just a funny movie
November 4, 2018
Childish humour, but overall it's a light-hearted and feel good movie.
July 18, 2018
May be dumb, but it's one of the funniest and most quotuable movies of the 90's if not ever. My friends and I reference this movie on an almost daily basis. No it isn't the best film, but it's a simple straight forward goofy good time. Grab some buddies and enjoy the romp.
July 11, 2018
Best movie ever!! Hilarious movie, not a moment goes by in the movie that you don't laugh.
½ July 7, 2018
I hate billy madison. The movie was so dumb and stupid in my opinon. It had a lot of weird moments that were not funny. Yes it's Adam sandler but that was probably the worst thing that he has done I think. It's a classic comedy but I just was not too impressed by the humor that was in the film. It's basically what you would expect from Adam sandler but I've always been a fan of him. Stuff like Billy madison and Jack and Jill were horrible.
½ June 3, 2018
Wildly unfunny, uneven, nonsensical, contrived, comedy that is absolutely not worthy of the nostalgia that it's accumulated over the years. It's actually virtually irredeemable apart from some classic Steve Buscemi and Chris Farley cameos. Those are the only parts I found entertaining at all. Bradley Whitford does a great job as the smarmy, power hungry yuppie but isn't given good material to work with.
April 15, 2018
Alright, I'm going to be brutally honest and try not to sound as biased as possible. First, I will preface by saying I grew up with this movie and it may or may not sway my opinion of the film. I have an extreme sense of nostalgia when I watch this movie nowadays. I won't say that makes it a good or bad film because I bet there are a lot people that feel the same way about other movies they grew up with. Another thing I will say is that I grew up with Adam Sandler in my house from Billy Madison to Big Daddy. Recently I rewatched Happy Gilmore from start to finish which is something I haven't done in a long time. I have to say I wasn't that impressed, it had a few moments but I thought it fell a bit flat for me. Now, I will talk about Billy Madison. The score is an odd choice but goes surprisingly well with the film itself. The acting is actually pretty great for being your "run of the mill" comedy. Billy's dad, Eric, Billy, and Juanita stand out. Adam Sandler has been in quite a few flops but I think this is far from it. The first scene in the film, you see him in his current state a drunk loser that has nothing really going for him. He lives live the way he wants instead of the way he should as the film progresses he matures until finally becoming what his father dreamed he could be. Honestly, the character development in this film works pretty well when you compare to some of his other films. At the end of the film you're not rooting for the villain or anti hero, it's more like rooting for the hero that was a villain so to speak. One of the scenes that stands out to me in terms of comedy is when they have the musical number halfway towards the film. Not to get too deep into it, but that was almost the turning point of his entire character. Even when he promised to go back to school to please his father I felt like he was just trying to make his father happy and wasn't too serious, and when you couple that with the fact that he dances to that song on the stairway, it shows that he's still in his earlier party state. What makes this movie work for me as an audience member is the humanitarian aspect of it. Even when they show him at the end with his diploma, you see the teachers from his previous grades and the kids that were always there for him. It's actually a pretty dynamic film if you dissect it enough, even I'm learning of new things as I write this review. Think about when he threw the dodgeball at the kids and yelled at the kid for saying donkey Kong sucks, flip that around and see how he treats the children later in the film. There's a long running gag in the film with the o'Doyle family which in a Karmic aspect, get what's coming to them with the banana peel, which adds another level of comedy to the film. Not only is it your traditional banana peel slip gag but you see it throughout the film molding and you expect someone to slip on it until it eventually happens. Another awakening moment for Billy is when he goes to high school. He thinks he is cool but everyone sees him as a reject. He makes quips at the Professor which the audience may find funny but not the classmates, and he plays the older classic rock music and style he grew up with which everyone thinks is not cool by today's standards which makes Billy feel out of place. Now the villain in this film is Eric who I think steals the show, I'm not too familiar with the actor himself but he plays the role so well that every time I watch the film I can't help but root against him. He plays a true comical villain, every plan he makes against Billy backfired against him and ultimately leads to him getting shot in the buttock and he is even seen during Billy's graduation in crutches which adds to Billy's heroic payoff. Eric in essence is the true villain and plays it very well, helps character is not as dynamic as Billy's and he's driven only by achieving his goal of attaining the company and is willing to get it at the expense of the hero. The movie is full of characters that when on screen steal the show so it's hard to pin point certain people, a good example of this is a character you only really see for about 2 minutes and it's the elderly woman who makes probably the two best lines in the film one involving Miles Davis and the other, Sasquatch. If you look at this film in the ways I've presented them it should make your film experience more enjoyable, because even though I first enjoyed this film as a child I think I enjoy even more as an adult. The turning point in a man's life where decides what he wants and what he needs, the turning point from villain to hero, the whacky yet necessary cast of characters, and the nostalgic feeling of your own days at school. I think it's a more dynamic film then what other people have branded it as. In essence, it's comedy in its purest form. I think Adam Sandler is really talented and I applaud everyone who worked to create this timeless comedy.
March 29, 2018
Along with Happy Gilmore, this is classic Sandler.
½ March 8, 2018
Though miles better than current Sandler stuff, this is one of his classics that doesn't hold up that well for me.
January 13, 2018
i award you no points..

Billy Madison

Irony is that it is an R rated comedy to which only kids would approve of and let along considering its premise which basically works on some one-liners.
October 22, 2017
Crude, childish, stupid. and a lot of sexual jokes. The usual Adam Sandler combination. But it made me laugh. Hard.

4/5 stars
September 6, 2017
it has a story that can set up alot of laughs and on some levels it does but some of the jokes are hit or miss and the love story between billy and his teacher is forced and rushed
September 3, 2017
Billy Madison was a surprisingly good movie. It had a ton of funny moments and a likable cast. Again like most Adam Sandler movies there isn't really a great plot but for a movie like this it doesn't matter that much. There were some dumb moments in this movie but it worked. Those moments were funny and hit the mark. Overall Billy Madison is definitely worth your time. I highly recommend it over many of the recent Adam Sandler movies. B+
½ August 14, 2017
Though kinda stupid, Billy Madison is a decent enough comedy. I recommend this to immature teens.
July 7, 2017
The funniest film I've seen all year. Probably Adam Sandler's best role and best comedy movie. Dumb at times, but very enjoyable.