Billy the Kid Reviews

• Mar 31, 2014

good western i love seeing hollywood's leading men in this pic robert taylor play bad guys i just wish gary cooper would have played a bad guy.

• Jan 23, 2013

Its 1941 and for the Americans there is almost a war on, the film is in colour and some of the actors were big stars...but that is about it. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

• Oct 24, 2010

Rather corny western that really has nothing to do with the real story of Billy the Kid. Still, it has a good cast, particularly Brian Donlevy and some excellent location photography.

• Feb 02, 2010

Outstanding pre WWII movie in technicolor. Storyline, plot and characters played well desipite the departure from histoical fact beginning with the credits right after the title! I particulary liked Mary Howard's snood and Monument Valley's scenery was spectacular.

• Nov 19, 2007

Seen 19.11.07. Interesting to see this movie from 1941 in full colours. It is definitely a different story about Billy the Kid and maybe closer to the truth than any of the others.

• Sep 27, 2007

Typical western of it's period

Typical western of it's period

• Jul 29, 2007

I did not really like this movie.

I did not really like this movie.

• Feb 07, 2007

You can count on one hand the things this film has in common with real story of Billy the Kid, but if you aren't thrown off by inaccuracy, then this is a wonderfully entertaining and finely portrayed depiction of the Kid. Robert Taylor is superb in a role he's nearly decade too old for. He's hard-bitten and tough as nails, but hurt inside is clear without being overplayed. I've never thought of Robert Taylor as ever being underrated, but if ever he was, it's in this. Taylor and the dialogue, which is hard-boiled and doesn't always go where you'd expect it to go, are real points of interest in this movie, along with some geographically wide-ranging Technicolor photography that is luscious to look at. The other aspects of the movie are pretty standard fare, some less bearable than others. But Taylor is a revelation here. This picture is worth watching.

• Oct 26, 2005

BETTER THAN AVERAGE WESTERN, VERY WELL PRODUCED. AS A BIOGRAPHY IT IS PURE HOLLYWOOD STORYTELLING, LITTLE TRUTH AND MUCH EMBELLISHMENT. BUT PUTTING THAT ASIDE, IT WAS INTERESTING WITH SOME GOOD ACTIONS SCENES AND LOCATION SCENERY.

• Apr 25, 2005

[IMG]http://www.epinions.com/images/opti/b2/84/1047021-movie-resized200.jpg[/IMG] [COLOR=White] This movie is Billy the Kid in name only. Anyone who has any kind of fascination with the Wild West or the historical William H. Bonney would do well to shy away from this flick. Almost all of the names have been switched around, the plot shares only a marginal familiarity with the true Billy and the lead actor Robert Taylor seems better suited for playing a 1930's era Chicago gangster than he does playing one of the most famous outlaws of all time. Now that I've got my historical accuracy niggling out of the way - I still find myself unable to say many positive things about this film. But I'll give it a shot. Some of the dialogue is rather inventive - and I do actually appreciate the relationship that Billy shares with ranch herder Eric Keating. There's an interesting exchange during Keating's introduction wherein he explains to a wary-eyed Billy why he doesn't carry a gun. Keating's naiveté rests upon a mythological ideal of frontier honor - an ideal that comes with a heavy price. The movie itself is also wonderfully shot. The Technicolor treatment produces stunning visuals that can easily compare to westerns that are produced ten, fifteen, sometimes even twenty years after Billy the Kid. Sadly, there simply isn't a lot of material available for Billy the Kid enthusiasts. Again, do NOT refer to this movie if you are looking to find insight into the true story of Billy the Kid. The closest you will probably come towards finding the definitive Billy story is in the 1988 fluff film, "Young Guns" and its subsequent continuation in "Young Guns II" - and even they take great spoonfuls of poetic license with history. [/COLOR]