19% Transcendence Apr 18

The Birdcage Reviews

murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
A pretty funny film. A must see!
Spencer S

December 10, 2008
There have been some exaggerations of the gay lifestyle, but I've never felt they were as in your face as the performances of Lane and Williams in The Birdcage. Equally atrocious was the anti-gay Hackman, and the uber gay Hank Azaria. It felt a bit forced, like an awkward family gathering.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
gay
Cassandra M

August 9, 2010
I love La Cage Aux Falles, this film is good for a remake and I'm disappointed to see that some people can't appreciate the brilliance in this film! Robin Williams is on top form, with 'you're taking your toothbrush to the grave, how Egyptian' brilliantly improvised. Weiss is convincing in her role, as usual. Hackman is great, as usual, and Nathan Lane is overly feminate, as usual. Wonderfully cast and with a great script, it will please anyone with a sense of humour. I pity anyone who can't enjoy it, for whatever reason- homophobia, lack of intelligence, arrogance, narrow mindedness etc. I'll admit that originals are often better, but that doesn't stop this from being a film to be enjoyed. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good laugh, happy watching
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Not a bad remake but I would recommend the original French film over this.
Alice S

August 25, 2009
A nuanced tackling of issues wrapped in an irreverently hilarious shell. I would've liked Val to redeem himself a little more throughout and not just at the end though.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
An absolutely brilliant comedy from beginning to end.
Drew S

January 21, 2007
This is a pretty damn funny movie, but a little dangerous in that it courts all sorts of gay stereotypes without even attempting to break the mold. I think viewers who are LGBT-savvy will probably laugh more at it than with it for its relative ignorance - Nathan Lane plays gay so over-the-top that the returns diminish very quickly and the whole thing starts to get sort of awkward.

My diversity in film teacher made some interesting observations about how safe The Birdcage is for a large portion of the movie-going public. It compartmentalizes the gays and the straights, no homosexual affection is really depicted short of handholding and quick kisses, and it offers up a Guess Who's Coming to Dinner-style ending where the relief of tensions seems superficial at best. Not much is learned here by either party. And the son is a real douche.

Anyway, I guess this is a funny comedy if you can bring yourself to look at this one tiny, often-lampooned aspect of gay life for an hour and a half.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 4, 2008
Robin Williams and Nathan Lane not acting??
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

November 17, 2006
A really entertaining movie!!! Robbie Williams and Nathan Lane plays a great gay couple.... They make me always want to laugh when I saw their act... No wonder this movie is very success...
deano
deano

February 18, 2007
This is so funny with all gay people and I believe this comedy film has a number of high points, particularly in the performances of Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, and Gene Hackman. To be honest, I'm not interested in gay and I was starring on Calista Flockhart, one of my favourite actresses.
Dean L

July 18, 2007
Absolutely hysterical. Robin Williams at his comedic best with Nathan Lane playing...Nathan Lane (smirk)...love him. Add Gene Hackman, Dianne Wiest, Calista Flockhart to the list and stir them up with a SUPERB performance by Hank Azaria and you get true movie magic.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Excellent adaptation of the French movie. Robin is brilliant.
Lafe F

July 5, 2007
How gay is too gay? Nathan Lane and Robin Williams play a happy gay couple living in Key West Florida with a cutesy houseboy. When it comes time for important houseguests, they must quickly un-gay the house with hilarious results. Nathan Lane puts on a great funny performance as Robin Williams' wife! The Senator and his wife, who are visiting, don't know what hit them! Things take a splendid comic turn near the end, when Gene Hackman must escape the scene. It's a treat which shows that being gay isn't just about sex.
Jason S

Not as good as the original, La Cage au Folles --
garyX
garyX

January 6, 2007
The words "french" and "comedy" put together always inspire dread. Add the words "Hollywood" and "remake" and you have a recipe for total disaster.
Leigh R

November 9, 2006
This was a funny film.
James A

A pretty funny movie.
RJ Smoove
RJ Smoove

February 17, 2010
Not bad at all. I think The Birdcage is a pretty good movie. Robin Williams is pretty chill throughout (not the Robin Williams I love), but he still does a pretty good job as Armond Goldman, a gay drag club owner. Gene Hackman is rather amusing as Senator Keeley. The standouts are definitely Hank Azaria as Agador and Nathan Lane as Armond's husband Albert. Hank Azaria made me laugh almost every time he spoke. He alone is reason enough to watch the movie again. And Nathan Lane, oh my God. The guy is hilarious. After seeing him in this movie, I finally understand what his brief cameo in Austin Powers in Goldmemeber was based on. It's agreat little movie, alot of fun. But not necessarily something I would want to watch again and again.