The Birdcage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Birdcage Reviews

½ September 13, 2016
Robin Williams and Nathan Lane chew up the scene in this hilarious remake.
½ August 20, 2016
A campy, quite fun, comedy of manners. A gay couple have to pass off as straight in order to meet their son's right-wing future inlaws. Simultaneously a 31 year old Calista Flockhart attempts to pass herself off as an 18 old... Most of the laughs here are based on very broad gay stereotypes - although it's done sympathetically. Most of the performances a solid. Particularly the much missed Robin Williams and Hank Azaria (Moe from the Simpsons) in a scene-stealing turn as an outrageously camp Guatemalan. There are laughs to be had here, but perhaps not as the filmmakers had hoped for. The film was based on a French stage-play, and you can imagine it might work better in that format. There's also an earlier French film version of the play, which I've not seen but has very good reviews. Might be worth checking out.
July 27, 2016
Pretty much the same as the original right down to small details, but just a tad stronger with a better performance by Nathan Lane.
July 17, 2016
One of the best, most heartfelt comedies ever made. Possibly Williams' greatest performance.
July 9, 2016
Nathan Lane and the late Robin Williams are two individuals who have showed major range as actors. Lane has proven he can serious drama's like The People vs OJ, musicals like The Producers and can even voice act in films like stuart little and the lion king. Williams same thing, he's starred in everything from serious dramas such as Awakenings, Insominia and good will hunting to his patened comedies like Good Mourning Vietnam, the fisher king and mrs doubtfire. Here in The Birdcage the two take on roles of two gay individuals, a cross dresser who believes he's a woman and the other a manly but still very homosexual man. The Birdcage is impressively well done story and really great to watch.
Lane plays Albert while Williams plays armand. together they are a gay couple who live above a drag show club that they are both apart of in south beach miami. one day Armand's son Val comes into town and reveals that he plans to marry a girl he's been secretly dating. However he needs for one night for there to be no signs of homosexual behavior or items in the house as the girls family is coming to meet Val's family. although reluctant the two agree to help out. however in humourous fashion the lies become hard to maintain in more ways than one.
This was pretty funny and it had some real underlying messages. Got political at times too. veeeeery original script and story for this comedy about LGTBQ issues. took me a minute to realize this is happening in a span of two days.
Nathan Lane is sensational and vibrant in this role as Albert! his scream in here is hilarious! its great how he actually uses that feminity in the only way he knows how. hank azaria really transforms here like Lane as well I couldn't believe that was him. Robin Williams kills it here. He plays an of course humorous role but a man who has a bit of a dilemma in dealing with his son who didn't end up like him and albert. hes trying to stay true to who he is while being a good father to his growing son and it provides quite the conundrum. I wonder if gene Hackman did anymore comedy films he seems right at home with this. On the only negative note of this film, calista fockheart looked clueless as hell and it kinda annoyed me cause I was waiting for her to make a different kind of facial expression.
Overall this is worth the watch and definitely one of my favorite LBGTQ films.
June 14, 2016
A little dated, but still fun and mostly still relevant.
½ June 1, 2016
It's funny to watch this for the first time in 2016 because the camp sort of melts away into a very sweet love story. Stuff that was considered 'side splitting' in the 90s doesn't really hold up as much now, it just seems like a couple of sweet guys trying to please their son The real butt of the joke becomes the Republican senator and the scandal, both of which are still fairly relevant and amusingly close to the truth.
It's also alarming to see their complete lack of physical intimacy, apparently too risqué for the 90s - though Williams and Lane manage to get the love across despite this glaring omission.
½ May 25, 2016
A funny, wild comedy set in Miami about a gay father's son inviting his fiancé and her conservative family for dinner. I felt like the movie had the makings of a classic, but the dinner scene took place way too late. Hackman I felt wasn't featured enough in the film, and it could have taken a different route so I will say the script was average. However the film had heart in relation to family, and Robin Williams was just fantastic. The movie built up nicely to its rollicking conclusion and once we got there the laughs came heavily.

Hats off to Nathan Lane for portraying a flamboyant gay man who is Robin Williams partner. The scenes he is involved in are just laugh out loud funny and he damn straight steals the show with his acting which was top notch.
May 6, 2016
Absolutely love this movie
April 29, 2016
The Birdcage is a remake of the French-Italian film named La Cage aux Folles back in 1978, and it stars Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, Gene Hackman, and Dianne West in a comedy film about a gay couple that has to act straight because their son is marrying a senator's daughter who's a conservator, and their parents are coming have dinner with them. I was actually looking forward to the film because director Mike Nichols and writer Elaine May are involved with this film which is their first film collaboration together as they were also a comedy duo back in the 1950s called Nichols and May. So with their film together, this is a hilarious remake. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are hilarious in this and have great chemistry as a couple. I like how the gays are portrayed that one is obvious, and the other is not so obvious, but they are not in a stereotype way that felt offensive. The writing by Elaine May is well written, and it seems that everybody that is involved with it is having fun. There are tons of jokes that got me laughing a lot, and hoping that the characters get through this as the script gave enough characterization that I find them really likable. The songs by Stephen Sondheim are catchy to listen, and the costumes are really cool that the beginning really fooled me. The Birdcage is a terrific remake that it's a lot of fun to watch, and I would honestly watch it again when I come back to it.
½ April 23, 2016
4/23/2016: An ok movie. An excellent cast, but not overly funny.
April 22, 2016
Simply hilarious, a near-classic; Nathan Lane and Robin Williams play well off each other. Actually, the whole cast is pretty top notch.
½ March 4, 2016
I miss you already Robin Williams.
December 17, 2015
I would love to see the stage play.
December 6, 2015
This is my go-to comedy whenever I need to laugh.

Based on La Cage aux Follies, The Birdcage delivers a nuanced portrayal of a middle-aged drag club owning gay couple playing it straight, while trying to see their heterosexual son through an evening with the most improbable in-laws. The brilliant cast is accentuated by Agador-Sparticus (Azaria), the over-the-top, barefoot, and "loyal houseman", tasked with playing the part of a South Beach butler and chef.

The laughs are near constant as Murphy's Law descends upon the house, and chaos reigns supreme. One of the most quotable films of the 90's where the line, "It's like riding a psychotic horse towards a burning stable" may well summarize the main evening portrayed in the film.

I can't recommend this movie enough. It isn't Shakespeare nor is it Casablanca. but for a simple, silly and good-natured film, you needn't look elsewhere.
November 22, 2015
griping like good ooze
November 8, 2015
The dinner party scene and the toast spreading are both hilarious and Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are brought together in spectacular fashion.
October 18, 2015
Loved it and all the various character roles within the movie!
½ October 16, 2015
Not sure whether this movie was 20 years ahead of its time or whether we are 20 years late.
Either way, one of the better American light films.
½ September 16, 2015
I think this movie was a tad ahead of its time when it first came out. These days this has a much better chance of being liked more. I thought the script was funny and the performances were even funnier! Robin Williams and Nathan Lane give it their best, but I think Hank Azaria stole every scene he was in! This is not for the homophobic crowd, but if you have an open mind, you will most likely enjoy this movie.