Black Mass Reviews

• Feb 07, 2020

Great film, all actors gave it their all a dark movie but a historical one that cant be ignored i recommend it for sure

• Jan 14, 2020

This one got tedious. They needed to cut a bunch of material, by the end, the audience was weary but respectful of what they had seen.

• Dec 28, 2019

I thought that 3 stars was a good rating for this movie, I seen this movie with my bf at a viewing at my library and it was good. True story/bio. movie on Whitey Bulgar crime person of Boston MA. I only seen this movie once but I would watch this movie again, worth a watch.

• Dec 18, 2019

Martin Greenfield Clothiers provided costumes for this movie. They have done business with Donald Trump in the past, including providing his inauguration suit. They have expressed no remorse about this, nor have they vowed to not do any further business with him, so as a person of moral conscience, I must give this movie a 1/2.

• Dec 17, 2019

This film is a series of events and lacks a coherent story. The only bright spot is Depp's actin as Whitey is downright creepy. Also, if you cannot do a Boston don't try.

• Nov 13, 2019

Johnny Depp delivers a chilling performance as Irish mobster James "Whitey" Bulger in an authentic portrayal of his unlikely alliance with the FBI in 1970's Boston, pursuing the same enemy - the Italian mob. This true to life account features Joel Edgerton as Depp's FBI agent counterpart, who offers a candid imitation of a man forced to dive into the past he escaped from in order to secure his career and future. All while Depp takes us on a journey of discovery, showing us the heart in a man made of hostility. Together they bring the told before tale back to life in a satisfying depiction of loyalty, violence, and heartache. That all being said, the quality of the movie does solely rely on the strong cast and the actors performances. Director/writer Scott Cooper having only directed four other movies, none of them well known or seemingly profitable, is not able to claim to be the reason for the success of this film. Luckily, with a low rate director and just decent script, capable actors in lead roles still manage to deliver a captivating performance out of what could have been a disaster.

• Oct 19, 2019

Fourth Pirates, clearly superfluous against the backdrop of the trilogy, a weak Rum diary, scandalous Gloomy shadows, a failed Lone Ranger, disappointing Transcendence, frankly ugly Mortdecai and small cameos in comedies that did not even include a place in the credits - all this relentlessly spoke of a sad sunset , and now an aging actor named Johnny Depp. One of my favorite actors - moreover, one of the actors of my childhood, which made it even more painful for me personally to look at the series of crushing failures. The need for a lifeline to a drowning man in endless setbacks was absolutely obvious. And this circle was the film "Black Mass." After watching the trailer, I immediately realized that here it is - the end of the black line that has lasted the last few years, on which I congratulate Johnny Depp. The long-awaited rehabilitation! At last! Usually after such words they write how much disappointment was, but not in this case. I was right! The film really met all my expectations, and in some places even exceeded it. Remembering a recent film in the same genre of "Legend" at the session, I realized that both brothers Cray are not worth even half of James Whitey Bulger. Unprincipled, tough, cold-blooded and harsh, the main character is really intimidating. I have not seen such villains for a long time. They were not enough. On the screen, I saw not a typical Johnny Depp with "passerine" tweaks, but a real original character, who did not have a shadow of Captain Jack under him, which, it would seem, was forever fixed to the actor. Other actors also delighted the eye. True, I do not see a special need in Benedict Cumberbatch - any other actor could play his hero and that would make little difference. It's worth believing that he's there for another big name. I can say the same about Dakota Johnson, for whom disgusting "shades" opened the way to Hollywood. But in their place were Jesse Plemons and Joel Edgerton. Separately, I want to note the incredible makeup. At first, obviously artificial blonde hair and blue lenses cut eyes, but you get used to the middle of the film. Of course, it cannot be compared with the Hatter, but it is still worthy of praise. Johnny Depp is almost unrecognizable. Well, in the end I want to immediately explain why I do not put five stars, since everything is so wonderful. It's just that I, as a fan of criminal gangster films, still cannot put this film, albeit a very solid one, on a par with the "fives" of this genre. However, this does not at all cancel out the fact that I really liked him and I will definitely review it.

• Oct 09, 2019

Gritty and violent...Depp's portrayal of the infamous James "Whitey" Bulger is stunning yet chilling.

• Sep 20, 2019

A commanding performance that could rank as Depp's best, the rest of the movie feels half baked, despite delightful direction.

• Aug 13, 2019

This movie had all the makings of a great flick but fell really flat about 3/4 of the way through. Depp does a good job of playing the bad guy but with a seemingly star studded supporting cast they just couldn't get the job done. The monotony of killing that just slowly tumbled along until the movie is over leaves you feeling like you've been reading a book for a few hours only to find out that the chapter you're on is really the last chapter. They finish it off with documentary style footnotes about what happened to each character in what is really just one of the most anti-climactic endings ever.