Black Snake Moan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Snake Moan Reviews

½ January 13, 2017
better then I thought the movie makes ya think a bit
December 28, 2016
Christina Ricci and Samuel L. Jackson star in Black Snake Moan. Ricci is Rae, a southern, trashy like girl that doesn't mind sleeping around. She is in a relationship with Ronnie (Justin Timberlake), but he is off to join the army. Jackson is Lazarus, a man who is struggling with the fact that his wife has just left him, claiming she does not love him anymore. Rae takes drugged, and gets raped and beat up and left for dead on the side of the road by one of Ronnie's friends, and Lazarus finds her.

Lazarus nurses her back to health but figures there is more to play than the fact that she was beaten. He decides to chain her up and figure out what the root of her problem is, and if he can fix her. He must resist the temptation of taking advantage of her despite getting the okay from Rae. Rae resists her imprisonment at first at first, but the two begin to bond and bring out the best in each other. Rae learns to help overcome her libido, and ties it to the fact she was abused as a child. Lazarus learns to heal from his wife losing him, and gain the confidence to play the blues live again.

Black Snake Moan is a tough movie to gauge. The movie seems to not have a purpose for a majority of the film. Ricci is sexy and puts on an underrated performance as the troubled sex addicted young girl. Jackson puts on a soulful performance as well. The two have solid chemistry, but the plot and the means the two go on to helping each other just makes for an unconventional film. For me this was a movie about addiction, temptation and recovery and the troubles will each of these phases. The movie is raw, emotional and charged by good performances. People attribute many aspects of this film to the music of the blues, but I do not know the genre well enough to make the connection. I still enjoyed the movie for the most part, but it's hard to recommend it beyond that.

-12.20.2016
½ December 10, 2016
It had it's moments but overall not really worth your time. Decent sound track but bad writing makes this a bad watch
December 4, 2016
Interesting storyline but not the best acting performances I've seen from this cast. Overall there was enough originality within the story to keep my attention !
½ August 3, 2016
8/2/2016: A pretty good movie with a really great cast. Ricci was Wow!! She played a dirty girl, but still stunning.
½ August 1, 2016
I found a few scenes questionable, but this southern gothic masterpiece in disguise stays out of exploitation thanks to a red hot story that's heavy on detail and surprisingly sweet.
July 15, 2016
Great performances and marvelous direction with a great story and sympathetic characters, Black Snake Moan is one of the best films of the year.
½ June 27, 2016
First of all Sam Jackson is a bad motherfucker.  But he can't sing.  And I have been a fan of Christina Ricci's since The Addams Family but she can't sing either.  Plus, she looked emaciated in this movie.  I recall time in the flick when she lifts up her arms and ribs protrude everywhere.  Yuck.  I never thought she was fat before but what do I know. I don't work in Hollywood.  Back to the movie.  What the hell is this movie about?  Well simply it's a story about love.  Told in a very weird way.  I saw the preview for this and said "What the fuck?  I gotta see that!"  I'll warn you.  It's bizarre.    And I'll leave the viewing of this up to you.
June 22, 2016
Jackson plays an old blues musician who finds Ricci, a childhood sex abuse victim, and tries to get her to change her ways. It's a very interesting story and the dynamic between Jackson and Ricci is well played out. Not a huge fan of the film overall but it's not terrible.
June 5, 2016
For some reason I seem to recall more naked Christina Ricci when I first watched this movie but it's still an extremely underrated gem. Worth checking out if you've never seen it.
½ March 22, 2016
Sam Jacks very good. Rest is bonkers. Justin looks like he's escaped from the set of Home & Away. Not good
February 21, 2016
What a weird movie. I guess it's well acted, but was not an enjoyable watch.
½ February 14, 2016
Had Laz been a white man and Rae been a black woman riots, marches, and picketing would have ensued. Hollywood is a hypocrite.
January 23, 2016
This is pretty good. I loved the movie a lot better than the hateful eight. Phenomenal movie
½ January 14, 2016
So original and i believe it's Samuel L Jackson at his absolute best. Really enjoyed it and didn't take much negative things at all.
½ January 6, 2016
Demented, entertaining, interesting, sometimes hilarious, sometimes ridiculous and far-fetched. Worth watching - but yeah, demented - not that there's anything wrong with that. Great acting. 7.8 out of 10.
January 4, 2016
Watch it for the music. Nothing else here is worth watching.
January 3, 2016
Underrated masterpiece!
January 2, 2016
Los amantes del blues se lamerán los dedos con esta película algo (o tal vez muy) misógina acerca de tentaciones y cadenas. Christina Ricci encarna al diablo tentador a la perfección rescatado (o tal vez secuestrado) por un blusero y granjero interpretado por Samuel L. Jackson. El director Craig Brewer no logra aquí la genialidad de su "Hustle And Flow", pero las actuaciones, la música y la magnífica fotografía de Amelia Vincent, pagan la entrada.