Black Swan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Swan Reviews

April 22, 2017
I think, whatever they were trying to do, it worked most of the time. Such a beautiful film.
April 22, 2017
Oltre ad esserne il regista, Aronofsky anche l'autore di questo grande film molto simbolico e psicologico. Esserne l'autore conferma il suo enorme talento e lo fa entrare in una categoria di registi superiore, quella di coloro che ci mettono un tocco personale riconoscibile e caratteristico della loro filmografia. Con un lavoro impeccabile svolto dalla protagonista e con una regia ben studiata il film riesce ad essere solido sotto molti punti di vista. Unire la danza con un messaggio cos profondo stato geniale e la storia scelta ne rende onore. Come in altri film del regista, la conclusione la parte che mi ha coinvolto di pi, proprio quando la storia ha un suo sfogo e termina con qualcosa di davvero sconvolgente. Anche se il migliore di Aronofsky per me resta un altro suo film, questo di sicuro tra le sue opere pi mature e riuscite.
½ April 17, 2017
Best acting in years
April 16, 2017
Wow. An amazing, messed up dark film. Fantastic acting. Fantastic directing. This will stay with me for a looong time.
April 12, 2017
A women who has felt and been treated as a little girl loses her mind as she transcends in to the real women she wants to be.
I thought the dancing was beautiful and Natalie Portman played her part well i also thought the creepy speckled turned out well.
The stage is set you get intrigued in the first half hour and after a while you start to think your seeing things, but i tell your not. Nina is.
Combing the beautiful dancing with the damaging mind of Nina was in word. Unique. I definitely think the overall effect was very Swan Lake and not just because thats the show there exacuting.
½ April 5, 2017
Okay, so... I love ballet and Tchaikovsky but this... I don't get the Oscar buzz about it. I wanted so much to like it but I don't.
April 3, 2017
Absolutely unforgetable!!
March 28, 2017
Black Swan, is a dark and creepy psychological thriller, that will leave excited for this amazingly directed movie...!
March 23, 2017
Visually exciting, increasingly unnerving, yet oddly unsatisfying. Needless CGI also harmed the film.
½ March 14, 2017
Nina is obsessive, threatened by fair competition, paranoid outside her knowledge base. This is a film about that obsessive behavior, envy, and self-abuse to achieve fame and glory. I parallel it to Aronofsky's The Wrestler, which explores similar ideas, exposing a depressing, deep in denial portrait of how individuals punish themselves to achieve stage glory and impress everyone else.

Also like The Wrestler, Aronofksy approaches the material rough, harsh, cinema-verite, though here I don't agree with it as it feels less reflective of the inner psychological portrait it's supposed to be. The lighting style and film stock don't work with the finds of angles, movements, and eventual edits. It's awkward and too grainy. It feels at times Aronofsky is hiding his points to make a more popular looking film in favor of one that's more interesting.

But the performances, expressions, and makeup are perfect. It lends to the effect of Lily being natural for the role of Black Swan; she's a little darker, hotter, in touch with the necessary reality required to understand the role. Nina can't depict this because she's a dramatist, a faker, an isolated compulsive dancer who only understands art outside context of reality. Makeup is key because it manipulates the faces to play these roles effectively.

Obsessive vanity has its rewards; Nina gets the part but is less liked by her peers. The sadness is that Nina is deluding into the Black Swan character, a slow digression from obsession. She sees herself as becoming this Swan.

Lily in black, Nina in white, they fittingly meet in the bathroom and the dynamic is perfect. Lily is sexually suggestive, seductive, friendly and inviting to Nina, a true angel vs devil story.

The Director is the manipulator of the black/white, good/evil dynamic, and in-betweener trying to help Nina turn on her lifestyle to become the Black Swan, as suggested by his purely black and white apartment. These colors (or lack of) are a dominant theme. Nina's mother Erica wears black when cutting her nails. Her bedroom is also black and white with just a hint of innocent pink, suggesting her mother's youthful treatment of her is a dangerous innocence sitting on the brink of becoming the absolutist black/white thinker Director is. The overall palette has an interesting limit, some splashes of red added to the black, white, and pink. Expressions of envy were captured, but where was the green to sour the obvious obsession scheme? The problem was I didn't feel we explored beyond these obvious parameters.

The masturbation scene is terrific; as she explores this phenomenal feeling, she is inhibited by the disturbing sight of mother sleeping invasively nearby.

It seems as though this entire stage production is designed to manipulate Nina into broken innocence. Director gropes her sexually, telling her she has to seduce him, not him to her. Eventually, she sees him in an evil mask fucking a woman backstage.

There's some good and bad with the whole Black Swan metaphor. The idea is beautiful, artistic for sure, but at times distracted by reaching, contrived methods. After stabbing Lily to death and effectively becoming the Black Swan, I feel this film is best viewed as a glorified horror film, especially upon the delusion of metamorphosis. Yet it's not that interesting, it's trite, used, not exactly a shocker. It's more fun to believe Lily was killed and that Nina is so crazy as to have needed this to become the Black Swan.

By the time Nina throws herself off stage, it's a bit melodramatic, but a harsh stick to Director and everyone who exploited her being this way. It cleverly fades to white, her darkness complete, now returned to the innocence with her point made. The audience maybe deserves more, I'm not solely interested in her black and white life. Why don't we get to see Erica, Director, and Lily react? The perspective is narrow, the agendas of the supporting cast under-examined. But then it is consistent with Aronofksy, ending Wrestler on a similar note, which didn't seem to need anymore than we saw.
March 11, 2017
This was personally one of the five best movies I have ever seen. It's so unique!
March 9, 2017
Black Swan is a perfect title for a dark, tense, tragic movie of the ballet world. Living in the spotlight with all the glamour of Big City performing arts, and the dark side of competitive ballet industry with many more qualified ballerinas than shows the public can support. A typical style of the twisted imperfect plot, Aronofsky proceeds to perfect into a thriller, that's troubling, yet moving. The film is filled with the anxiety that plague his characters and produce a trademark Aronofsky film.
½ March 8, 2017
Very symbolic and good film overall.
½ March 8, 2017
Seen this 4 times and never getting bored. This psychological drama is so well written, acted and directed that I don't really have anything bad to say. I find the shots quite beautiful, as I love the art if ballet. Natalie Portman did an amazing performance here, transforming physically and mentally to get into the character. This movies is about the passion and devotiin for something gone to the extreme in order to achieve perfection. Totally recommend it! Something quite different from what we see today in theatres.
February 10, 2017
A great film. The inner conflict and insanity of Natalie Portman's character is amazing to watch. The visuals were amazing, left questioning what is reality and what is illusion. Loved every minute!
February 7, 2017
too dark for me...but I had wanted to see this for a long time! I just didn't realize what it was about!
January 26, 2017
Black Swan 2k11 - WTF for the first hour and a bit, Good lesbian sex scene, Last 20 minutes "oh yeah oh yeah i see wha this is all about"... kind of like inception.
January 8, 2017
Outlandishly entertaining is right. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat! Even though I already had the ending revealed, it didn't deter me from loving this film. Absolutely brilliant! A beautiful masterpiece! Go watch it now!!!!
½ January 4, 2017
Simply put, this mindf@ck movie it's marvelous.
December 18, 2016
Loved this movie, especially for the psychotic aspect, and also who doesn't like a good ballet? Natalie Portman plays this role beautifully and makes it really believable. Be prepared to have some "Whaaaaat" moments!