Black Swan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Black Swan Reviews

½ December 5, 2016
so stupid that it becomes a comedy, although i know that wasn't the director's intention...
November 24, 2016
Portman is dragged into insanity in what is for sure one of the most extraordinary performances of her career, and this is a spectacular (and fantastically directed) film that dives into the psyche of a disturbed character with a lot of symbolism and an incredible intensity.
November 5, 2016
Do you have what it takes?
½ November 4, 2016
"Black Swan" is the 2010 psychological drama film directed by Darren Aronofsky ("The Wrestler"), written by Andres Heinz, Mark Heyman, and John McLaughlin and starring Natalie Portman. The film's plot follows Nina (Portman) a New York Bailarina that gets cast to play both The White Sawn and The Black Swan in her ballet company's new adaptation of Swan Lake. Nina is perfect to play the fragile, innocent White Swan but struggles to play the darker more sensual Black Swan. As Nina finds herself trying to capture the essence of the challenging role, she discovers it to be harder than she thought. The supporting cast includes Mila Kunis as Lily, Vince Cassel as Thomas, Barbara Hershey as Nina's mom, Erica, and Winona Ryder as Beth.

"Black Swan" is a beautiful film that delivers the thrills with one of the (if not the) best performance of 2010. The filmmakers explore deep into character, distancing itself from a plot that focuses more on the story to a plot that makes its main character the central piece, the plot. The film's main theme is the study of Nina's psychological and physical struggles, as she tries and achieves perfection in her role as The Black Swans. A metaphor of sorts, the film shows us Nina getting worst and worst, day by day, getting constant hallucinations, many times seeing a hostile, darker self (much like the Black Swan) trying to somehow take over her. This can be interpreted as simply Nina's obvious pressure for a difficult role. Nina being this fragile sweet girl, who's perfect for the role of White Swan, trying her hardest to become someone else. This other version of herself, in her dreams and hallucinations, is the Black Swan, slowly taking over Nina, Nina embraces this other self, aiming for perfection, which comes with its price. Her hallucinations in which Lily appears could represent the possible sexual attraction Nina had towards her, that would later transform into a feeling of anger and rivalry as Lily eventually becomes Nina's alternate in Swan Lake. It could be that Nina never had any hallucinations, it was simply the beauty of filmmaking, as Nina's humongous pressure is shown through visual imagery or hallucinations.

Aronofsky captures the film's scenes greatly, the ballet scenes being especially beautiful. Using Light, sound, fantastic music and amazing camera work to his favor, Aronofsky shoots beautiful scenes, that I wish lasted longer in the film. The film's music is beautiful with both Aronofsky and the film's original composer, Clint Mansell, basing the film's music on the ballet's original music composed by legendary composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. But none of these scenes would be so great without the inclusion of the beautiful ballet, with gorgeous choreography and beautiful costume designs with the camera playing a fundamental part in these scenes, as Aronofsky puts us up close to the actors making the scenes even better with that extra touch of directing.

Tough the one thing that overcomes all, the complicated, well putt together theme, the beautifully staged scenes, and everything else is, Natalie Portman. The actress is here, how no one has seen her before. Already growing up doing hard demanding roles since the beginning of her career with the likes of "Léon: the professional" and "Heat" to then get older and act in even more complex features such as "V for Vendetta", "Closer" and "Brothers" to only then, get to what in my opinion is her best work to date in "Black Swan". Portman is simply fantastic in here, the actress is flawless playing the fragile, complex and great character of Nina, doing great in every scene including the beautiful ballet scenes for which the actress took lessons to perform. Opposite to Vicent Cassel, in some of the film's most memorable, character-driving and sensual scenes in the film, the actress does great, and the duo shines in some of the film's best scenes. Also opposite to Portman is Mila Kunis, the actress that usually puts her talents to work in comedy, surprises, too giving a great performance, with some scenes alongside Portman showing the actress' undoubtable talent for drama.

"Black Swan" is, as said, a beautiful film with great character study, beautiful production design, fantastic directing of Darren Aronofsky, a stellar cast that does a fantastic job and Natalie Portman in her best performance yet, one that will be hard to be beaten, that only makes me even more excited for Portman's future work. 4.5/5.
½ November 4, 2016
This film slowly and insidiously ensnares the senses until the passionate intensity and dark melodrama becomes both visually irresistible and utterly transfixing. Is it possible to simultaneously say that I didn't like a film and that it was majestically terrifying, exhilarating, and brilliant? After this film, the answer is yes.
½ September 19, 2016
Portman verta Oscaro
½ September 11, 2016
Being a perfectionist myself, this movie is reflecting me and telling me how I should cope with stress. This movie is exhilarating, dark and passionate.
September 5, 2016
Really good, but not really my kind of movie. Don't watch it again.
August 23, 2016
Black swan is a great film about self esteem, careers and despair! I love this film so much. the ending was the best creamy yet bumpy icing on the cake! it was fricking fantastic. Natalie Portman is the best committed actress of 20110
August 21, 2016
A crazy and envolving story. Love it.
½ August 19, 2016
Let's update this; rewatched it, and hated it even more. This is the literal definition of "style over substance". Everything was to be as expected from this Director, beautifully shot, great command of his actors, but the material was terrible to begin with.

I don't mind allegorical stories or movies where the play they're putting on mirrors what's happening in reality, either. But you just do it without mentioning it. To literally have the actress turn into the Black Swan from Swan Lake is insulting to your audience. That's saying, "You're probably too dumb to realise that the movie is actually exactly like the ballet they're performing it, so we'll spell it out for you at every turn." Thanks movie. Then don't make this film if you're going to insult your audience's intelligence like that. It's pompous. Could be one of the worst movies I've seen in a while, because of it's gross arrogance and the way they treated the audience.
August 17, 2016
This was my favourite film of 2010. On second viewing, my love for it has not diminished. I freely admit that there isn't really anything original here, but it's a film that fully embraces it's melodrama with a fierce intensity.
August 15, 2016
Crazy, intense, and absorbing with brilliance, Darren Aronofsky's sharp direction and Natalie Portman's spectacular performance turn this psychological thriller into a near perfect art piece of cinema.
August 14, 2016
Holy shit this movie is amazing
½ August 9, 2016
This movie will certainly leave an impact on you. Brilliantly directed by Aronofsky.
July 30, 2016
Black Swan is drama is suspense, is terror, is sound and danceable, it's ugly and terrifying, it's beautiful, is sober, Black Swan is a bedside movie to all who like film, he does not invent anything new, it does not changes cinephile scenario, they may not be among the I00 best American films ever made, because it is simple and perfect in everything you do, all choreographed around the central script is great, all the mirror game that has in virtually all movies scenes playing with Nina's personality Brilliantly incorporated by Natalie Portman who is lost in his role, the soundtrack, photography and especially the art direction and assemblies scene are absurd so good, Darren Aronofsky tells us everything with just their mounts scenes, to the costumes of the characters talk with the screenplay, script that is simple and duty observers also extremely complex piece, and even after a while, you understand and even provides events, but somehow it's surprising, even you know what will happen, all signs of the film are perfect, all the scenes have a link with the central plot, stay tuned, Darren explains the film at the same time that leaves subjective he wants to talk that has more thing you're seeing there, "Black Swan" to me is note I0 not because it is a work that will change the cinema or a magnificent work and everything, it is I0 because he is impeccable in all that it claims to do, and their minimum wrongs do not make me want to take it out of your note, watch "Black Swan" and even being very new, you will feel the inspiration he brought to other great films like " whiplash "and" Birdman ".

SPOILER: Nina is 28, it is apparently virgin or suffered from any sexual violence in the past, and her mother treats her like a child, putting it to sleep, changing their clothes and even her makeup Nina. During the film, the plot of "Swan Lake" is contact twice (which I found unnecessary), after the second time you draw the lake of cinemas has a relationship with nina life, as she begins to interpret "Swan Lake", before going on stage, the swans of Lake story is about a shy, pure girl (Nina), and who cast a spell on it that prevents it from freedom (his own psyche, note that the Gradually she is changing that, as the act of playing their bears out), this spell can only be broken by true love (in case here is a metaphor for that love for her is the very role in Swan lake), but this love is in danger, because the black swan that stealing (in the case here the black swan is Lilly) Note that Lilly is always black and Nina always white (with its transformation that will change over time), to the beauty of Natalie in this film is something beautiful, pure, delicate as the beauty Mila Kunis is something sensual and wild, even in Darren casting choice passes the messages, note also the character that was once the black swan and the white, Beth MacIntyre (Winona Ryder), which uses white and black clothes and shows clear signs of bipolarity finally Nina "Lose" purity, and to break the "Spell" she even turns the black swan, an internal fight alter egos that is brilliantly demostrada by Darren, even in Nina's hallucinations to where she even finds himself becoming the swan to the final act to which it is released completely.
Black Swan is a symbolic film that still talks about the entertainment limit, the obsession for perfection, and on our daily struggle and maintain good and honest society and deter acts of black swan within us.
"Perfection is not just control. It is also about letting go. Surprise yourself so you can surprise the audience. Transcendence. Few have it in them."

Forgive my English translator google
July 27, 2016
Powerfully intense and hugely influenced by Stanley Kubrick. Black Swan is a psychological nightmare that rides on Darren Aronofsky's sleek direction and a grand performance from Natalie Portman
July 26, 2016
You know when people speak of something flowing so well that it plays out like a ballet? The directing, editing, sound design, and cinematography could not have possibly complimented the story and overall subject matter any better. Aronofsky continues to prove his worth.
July 24, 2016
Totalmente perturbadora
July 18, 2016
We've seen movie about obsession before. This is however one of the few I can remember off the top of my head that the obsession isn't really over someone else, i.e. a stalker, but about yourself. The quest for perfection in yourself for a craft that you will do anything to achieve. Often trying to blur the line between reality and disillusion the film does a good job at that. Maybe not as good as initial response, but still interesting.