The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

October 22, 2016
Not many people seem to realize that this was the first found footage film ever and that it was basically as improvised as a feature film could get. Very original and provides feelings of tense mystery.
½ October 18, 2016
"The Blair Witch Project" es un a película de terror de bajísimo presupuesto que se aprovecha del miedo a la oscuridad presente en todos nosotros y que presenta uno de los mejores finales en la historia del cine del género. Evite la segunda parte a toda costa.
October 14, 2016
This is still the only film I have ever seen that frightened me enough to have trouble sleeping the first time I saw it. To me, the power of one's own imagination far outweighs the usual cinematic translation of horror into buckets of blood and guts.
October 13, 2016
"The Blair Witch Project" is an unique horror film that, for better of for worse, started one of the biggest trends in horror, found footage. It builds up tension and has a decent payoff to make up for some not-so-scary moments though out the film. It's still a must-see for anyone that calls themselves a horror fan because it revolutionized the genre for many years to come.
½ October 11, 2016
Finally saw the movie, and was disappointing. Probably was good at the time because of the new concept of found footage movie
October 4, 2016
Ahora ni al Yunque pienso ir ð???
½ September 30, 2016
This film terrified me when I was younger. I believe it is the ultimate conclusion to what Spielberg tried to do with Jaws. What we imagine will be scarier than what they can show us. That being said, it's not for everyone. Less scares and more an overwhelming sense of dread.
September 29, 2016
The Blair Witch Project is an essential film for the horror genre and its impact has stood the test of time as still being one of the scariest films I've ever seen. This film was MASSIVELY successful upon release, bringing the found footage genre to the mainstream, as well as convincing a large portion of the audience that the footage was REAL and that these three filmmakers had actually died. The film is about a documentary crew who venture into the Black Hills Forest to debunk the myth of the local "Blair Witch", and as we know with any horror film involving teens in the woods; it doesn't go well for them. This film is special for many reasons, mainly the realistic approach to the camera-work and of course, the three central actors Joshua Leonard, Michael C. Williams, and Heather Donahue who bring an unparalleled sense of realism to their performances. The actors were given general outlines of where to go, but almost everything they encountered was random to them, so much of their reactions are real, which is just brilliant filmmaking! Without question, the scariest part of this movie is the ending and still, every time I revisit it, as soon as they enter that house, I'm holding my breath until the iconic final shot. It's definitely not as flashy as most modern horror films today, but its subtle approach and iconic scares still really work to this day, as long as you have the patience for it. The Blair Witch Project changed movies forever and holds an indelible mark in the annals of horror cinema that will likely never be topped and I can't recommend it enough for true horror fans!
September 29, 2016
Un gran ejemplo de cómo hacer mucho con poco
September 24, 2016
Sure it was original for its time, but it introduced a forgettable genre of horror while being forgettable itself
½ September 23, 2016
Deemed a classic but quite frankly repetitive and boring from time to time. Awful ending as well.
½ September 22, 2016
I wont deny this movie was revolutionary for the horror genre, but that doesnt stop it from being awful trash.
September 22, 2016
It may take a while, but this movie is actually really scary, if you have the patience to watch teens argue for an hour.
September 21, 2016
Suspenseful and groundbreaking; the style works masterfully, even if the ending leaves you hanging.
½ September 20, 2016
Found footage has become a thing of the past very quickly, and while it still has a small fanbase, the films in this genre really aren't all that great. With the exception of a few films (ie. Chronicle or Cloverfield to have a couple), the flare of this genre has really worn down. It is more of a gimmick than ever and even the most average of moviegoers are catching on. Although this genre is on its way out, lets take a look back on the film that made it all possible. At the time, The Blair Witch Project frightened many people, which I do have issues with, but I will expand more on that later. Lets travel back in time to 1999 and discuss how this film holds up 17 years later.

While I was too young to witness this film upon its original theatrical run, I caught this film on DVD about 10 years ago. Having revisited a few times since then, I have formed a very strong opinion on The Blair Witch Project. People once called this one of the scariest films ever made, and while I can see some teenagers getting a few chills, it just simply isn't that scary. Even to the people who it fooled into thinking it was actual footage, I do not understand how they felt that way, especially since it was released in theatres.

Clearly, a theatrical film without any news or radio stations confirming these disappearances would have been fishy from the start. Mind you, this was a huge selling point at the time, so I can forgive it for selling the film that way. Sadly though, the endless amount of films that preceded it, whether it be exorcism films or time travel stories, audiences simply were no longer impressed and became more annoyed. Personally, with a great story and some clever techniques, I believe this genre still has a few tricks up its sleeve, but it will definitely be rare. Setting aside what came after it, lets dive into why it was hit or miss from the start.

At the time of release, as stated above, people called this one of the scariest films of all time. To me that is absolutely insane. The main plot that revolves around three teenagers heading out into the woods to document the myth of the blair witch is the most interesting aspect. As each side character is interviewed as they make their way deeper and deeper into the forest, the tension does build and you truly do feel like this is a real story. That being said, being the very low budget that it is, hearing sounds and screaming instead of at least giving the audience a glimpse at what they see it just plain annoying at times. Yes, given the budget at hand, that is acceptable, but it just makes the film a product of its time. I would have called this film an average horror film if I were to have seen in back in 1999, but it is merely passable for this day and age, especially considering the films that followed it.

Never for a second did I believe I was watching a documentary, but the performances almost got me to that point. There are moments where the dialogue feels very real and characters tear up while trying to get their words out. Easily, the best portions of this film revolt around the performances at hand. They are all believable to a fault and I found myself invested in these characters. The only set-back to that is the fact that you never truly get to see what happens to any of them. The film is one great big tease that left me unsatisfied. These actors/actresses give it their all and I commend this film the most for that.

In the end, I could never recommend this film to someone nowadays, unless they are aspiring filmmakers who like to watch experimental films. Otherwise, you are 17 years too late to the party. At the time, fans either loved it or hated it, but I think the latter would be the majority today. The Blair Witch Project has a lot of promise and the coe idea of this film is commendable, due to the fact that it sparked an entire genre. For that reason alone, I give this film more props than the actual enjoyment I had with it. As I said, if I were to have been in the theatre 17 years ago, I would have recommended this film to many people, calling it an average film worth checking out. As for todays standards, it is a merely passable experimental found footage film.
½ September 20, 2016
Pretty good. I have absolutely no idea what it was about, but it was good
½ September 20, 2016
The Blair Witch Project is the directorial and writing debut of Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez, and it stars Heather Donahue, Michael C. Williams, and Joshua Leonard in a found-footage horror film about three film students that wanted to do a documentary about the Blair Witch, and when they went to the forest where the Blair Witch takes place at, they ended up getting lost and wanting to get back home. After seeing Blair Witch, it definitely felt like the right time for me to watch the first film that started the found-footage genre, even if it wasn't the first movie to do so. The way that it settles the film up from interviewers, you wouldn't even know which of them are actors, and those who are not. It made sense about why all the stuff are being filmed as the characters are film students, and wanted to film everything. I find the characters a bit more developed than the characters from Blair Witch, and you would find them more developed if you go to the website for the movie itself as it gives a lot of backstories to the characters that makes them feel more human that makes sense why people at the time thought that they were actually missing. Since when you find out that it was mostly improvised, it's really impressive to see the actors just to make some conversations in their mind because it makes it seem more genuine which doesn't feel like the film was scripted. I didn't find the movie annoying as it makes sense for their situation of being lost in the woods, although I understand if viewers thought the opposite, and it had a lot of creepy moments in the movie. I do like that it didn't show you what it was, and it makes the actors very tired, which makes it interesting to know that the directors are messing around with the actors in terms of where they want to go, and what limited food they have. I understand why people say that this is the scariest film of all time when you're out in the perspective of where the actors are going in the forest where it's pitch black, and there's someone who's watching them, but I didn't find it scary at all, just immensely creepy. It's crazy that with a low budgeted film like this, can create something that people still talk about to this day, whether they love it or hate it, and as for me, I really enjoyed it.
September 19, 2016
The Blair Witch Project is a slow building tense film that does a great job at creating a simple plot that some how manages to captivate you and terrify you at the same time.
½ September 19, 2016
Though Heather Donahue's performance was at some points frustrating and seemed forced, there is no denying that "The Blair Witch Project" delivers first class scares, without the need of blood, gore or a physical fiend.