The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

½ July 25, 2017
It's not scary and it's not interesting. It sucked.
July 24, 2017
Movie about a group of kids in the woods who get lost while looking for some ghost or witch or demon or something bad. The hype for this movie back in 1999 was insane. Never understood why. Its terrible. Don't waste your time.
July 24, 2017
When I first saw 'The Blair Witch Project', I thought it was going to be just another amalgam of jump scares and cheaper techniques. Thank goodness it isn't though. It allows you to think how the villain looks like, and why is she so creepy. Maybe this isn't the 8th wonder of the world, but I give it a big 'YES'.
½ July 13, 2017
I'm going to say this right off the bat - this movie did not hold up at all. I just watched "The Blair Witch Project" for the first time in 2017, and after hearing all the hype from people that I've heard talk about this movie, I am stunned at how much it let me down. However, after doing some further research on why this could have been, it makes a little more sense why I really hated this movie. This movie was released in 1999, so already it's almost 20 years old, and horror movies age terribly, because as the years progress, what's scary and what's not changes at a fast race, because each horror movie pushes the next. If you were to watch a horror movie from the '80's, it would almost be more of a comedy than a horror, because of how cheesy it looks, which is the exact same I felt about this movie. I felt like I just watched an hour of nothing, followed by about 20 minutes of very light horror, and then a chilling end, the only thing that I liked in this movie. The first 40 minutes were literally just 3 people wandering in the forest, arguing about losing a map, and trying to get home, with every 20 minutes something scary happening to them. Seriously, NOTHING happened in this movie. However, back in 1999, the way this movie was advertised, people actually thought this was real, so I could see why this would disturb and terrify a lot of people, because the way its shot it genuinely looks like it was just shot by a few kids with a video camera. It was one of the pioneers of video camera horror movies, so I'll give it some pointers for that. However, now that I know all of this is fake, it was so boring it took every ounce of strength for me to keep watching. It's extremely hard to make a horror movie that will be endless in terms of its ability to act as a genuinely scary movie, in fact, I think "The Exorcist" and maybe "The Shining" are the only ones that stand out in my head that could be timeless horror movies, but "The Blair Witch Project" is definitely not one of them. I can see why people enjoyed this movie in 1999, but in 2017, "The Blair Witch Project" is definitely not worth watching.
July 13, 2017
A landmark film in the genre. Lingering dread builds subtly until all of a sudden you realise your heart is in your mouth.
½ July 11, 2017
Before I watched this film, I heard of people calling it the scariest movie of all time, with some even scared to walk in the woods because of it. After watching this, it is a boring, non-scary, uncreative, and overall stupid movie. Anyone could make this film in a day, but it would just be a waste of time. Not recommended
½ July 7, 2017
Worst horror movie ever. I watched it and I honestly have never seen a movie less terrible. The part where they found rocks in front of there tent stacked it isn't scary at all. The ending was just a guy who was possible their friend standing near a wall and we didn't even see the so called witch. There is a hundred million things I would rather do then watch it. Waste of time
July 7, 2017
This is one of the most disturbing films I've seen.
I've seen The Shining, Halloween,The Exorcist, Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Those are all horror films that I respect and love but they didn't quite pack the unsettling punch that TBWP did for me. Why? To sort of quote Stephen King's thoughts on the film, "the damn thing FEELS real". The movie's amateurish camera work combined with the actors very naturalistic performances and the director's very unHollywood approach to getting scares from both said actors and the audience all come together to create a truly nightmarish experience that FEELS real.
I respect this film so much for giving me a genuinely unique experience when it came to horror. It is the perfect example of less being more.
June 14, 2017
Initially I was extremely bored by this relatively short horror/thriller from 1999.
It features an unknown cast who at times seem to give quite frankly annoying performances.
The film follows a group of three 'students?' with plenty of time available to investigate a witch story in the town of Burkitsville nee Blair, Maryland, U.S. A forest town.
They film their story using a camcorder to record footage of their entry to the 'haunted' forest.
One of the three is called Josh (Joshua Leonard) who is the first to go missing.
The other two protagonists are Heather Donohue and Michael Williams the actors actual names!
Heather has a shrieking voice that drove me off the film. It was only the relatively short running time of 80 or so minutes that kept my attention.
Heather and Michael enter a house in the forest thinking they had heard Josh's voice.
Upon entering the property the footage abruptly ends after seeing handprints on the walls.
Relatively biring storyline. However the actors filmed their own footage and ad-libbed their lines apparently.
"Josh!"
June 11, 2017
I wish that whatever evil thing they were running from actually did come up in the movie.
June 5, 2017
Relying on suspense and psychological tension rather than onscreen action to deliver the chills, The Blair Witch Project makes effective use of its sinister setting, shaky camerawork and suggestive sound effects for a nerve-wracking campfire story -- and kicked off horror's unprecedented run of found-footage pictures in the bargain.
May 29, 2017
The Blair Witch Project was a game changer in the horror genre, and still scares audiences to this day.
May 29, 2017
Worst movie ever made
May 5, 2017
Probably will go down as the greatest found footage horror film ever, and rightfully so.
May 4, 2017
NÃO COLOCARIA ESSE FILME COMO UM DOS MELHORES.
½ April 29, 2017
0.5 star just for the final scene which is creepy otherwise it's boring
April 27, 2017
I want to know where she bought batteries to her camera!
April 24, 2017
The Blair witch project is one of the scariest movie I've ever seen. It is very creepy and felt so real which added to the fear factor. I almost thought it was real but I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't. This film just feels so real. It scared me so much. This also felt new because it was a "found footage" film. That is something I'd never seen before. Now the found footage genre isn't very good anymore because this movie created a formula that almost every found footage movie uses nowadays. This was good because it was new and is the original. The plot is kinda simple and is pretty easy to follow. The ending will make you think though. The ending might leave you a little confused but it's just so thought provoking. It really will make you think. Overall this is an extremely scary movie with a good plot that is simple and pretty easy to follow. A+
April 20, 2017
1999 Was My Favorite Year In Film.
March 31, 2017
"The Blair Witch Project" makes a good attempt at being creepy by relying on the unseen, but ultimately ends up being a boring, shaky, and anticlimactic experience. It's probably one of the better found-footage/mockumentary films out there, but that really isn't saying much.