The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

September 21, 2017
the classic psychological horror film that spawned a movement of faux-documentary offshoots, few of which have come close to touching the ingenuity and genuine creepiness of the original.
½ September 8, 2017
This movie is just a horror classic that I can always go back and rewatch for a good scare. I love the home video aspect of it. The acting is low key and very realistic, perfect for this style of film. Watching it now is especially nostalgic for me, with all of the 90s music, clothes, and references. It's just really fun to watch - especially when you're alone in the dark!
September 2, 2017
Liked it film makers want you to believe Blair Witch is real and out there killing children.
½ August 23, 2017
To cut to the chase, this the most boring so called "horror" movie I've ever watched. There is no suspense whatsoever through the entire film, and unless you like watching scripted footage of people getting lost while camping (which is literally the entire movie), or you just take enjoyment out of being bored, then I cannot recommend film. Don't waste 1.5 hours of your life.
½ August 14, 2017
What a Stupid Movie this is, It was all by mouth "you've gotta see this movie"
after 30 minutes my partner and I walked out of the theater. the movie was made on a budget of only $20,000 but grossed $300 million I guess I am not as gullible as to give it a *5* star rating!
August 8, 2017
I remember watching this movie back in 1999 and I wanted to rewatch it because i had not seen it since. The acting is very genuine by the 3 friends who go hiking/investigating in the woods. Yes there are a lot of bad words but some people just talk that way, that didn't bother me at all about the movie. The friends get lost in the woods and then little by little strange things start happening to them when they are about to sleep at night. The best part of this movie is in creating a very uncomfortable atmosphere around the main characters.
For me, this film could have been great but it disappoints at the end. It's like expecting a volcano to erupt and it never really happens. What exactly made the friend disappear? With such a creepy atmosphere why didn't they push the point further? How about a shadow figure teasing in the background? Or in the house? This is why people who gave this movie a bad rating really disliked the film. I don't really dislike the movie but it fell short during the last 15 minutes! Two possible fixes: 1) Show some sort of entity or entities to make it better. OR 2) Add a few extra minutes to the ending to somehow tie everything nicely. GOOD overall but it could have been great! I do like its originality though (at the time).
I rate it 3/5 OR 6/10
½ August 6, 2017
This is the worst movie I've ever seen,pure garbage absolutely NOTHING ever happens!
July 28, 2017
You never get to see the wich crap camera angles and poor. Acting not to mention it was very boring the new movie you get see her and way better story line
July 26, 2017
It was OK. The 1st part was boring. And the ending was abrupt and confusing. But I do like the story of how it invented the horror genre of found footage films like Paranormal Activity.
½ July 25, 2017
It's not scary and it's not interesting. It sucked.
July 24, 2017
Movie about a group of kids in the woods who get lost while looking for some ghost or witch or demon or something bad. The hype for this movie back in 1999 was insane. Never understood why. Its terrible. Don't waste your time.
July 24, 2017
When I first saw 'The Blair Witch Project', I thought it was going to be just another amalgam of jump scares and cheaper techniques. Thank goodness it isn't though. It allows you to think how the villain looks like, and why is she so creepy. Maybe this isn't the 8th wonder of the world, but I give it a big 'YES'.
½ July 13, 2017
I'm going to say this right off the bat - this movie did not hold up at all. I just watched "The Blair Witch Project" for the first time in 2017, and after hearing all the hype from people that I've heard talk about this movie, I am stunned at how much it let me down. However, after doing some further research on why this could have been, it makes a little more sense why I really hated this movie. This movie was released in 1999, so already it's almost 20 years old, and horror movies age terribly, because as the years progress, what's scary and what's not changes at a fast race, because each horror movie pushes the next. If you were to watch a horror movie from the '80's, it would almost be more of a comedy than a horror, because of how cheesy it looks, which is the exact same I felt about this movie. I felt like I just watched an hour of nothing, followed by about 20 minutes of very light horror, and then a chilling end, the only thing that I liked in this movie. The first 40 minutes were literally just 3 people wandering in the forest, arguing about losing a map, and trying to get home, with every 20 minutes something scary happening to them. Seriously, NOTHING happened in this movie. However, back in 1999, the way this movie was advertised, people actually thought this was real, so I could see why this would disturb and terrify a lot of people, because the way its shot it genuinely looks like it was just shot by a few kids with a video camera. It was one of the pioneers of video camera horror movies, so I'll give it some pointers for that. However, now that I know all of this is fake, it was so boring it took every ounce of strength for me to keep watching. It's extremely hard to make a horror movie that will be endless in terms of its ability to act as a genuinely scary movie, in fact, I think "The Exorcist" and maybe "The Shining" are the only ones that stand out in my head that could be timeless horror movies, but "The Blair Witch Project" is definitely not one of them. I can see why people enjoyed this movie in 1999, but in 2017, "The Blair Witch Project" is definitely not worth watching.
July 13, 2017
A landmark film in the genre. Lingering dread builds subtly until all of a sudden you realise your heart is in your mouth.
½ July 11, 2017
Before I watched this film, I heard of people calling it the scariest movie of all time, with some even scared to walk in the woods because of it. After watching this, it is a boring, non-scary, uncreative, and overall stupid movie. Anyone could make this film in a day, but it would just be a waste of time. Not recommended
½ July 7, 2017
Worst horror movie ever. I watched it and I honestly have never seen a movie less terrible. The part where they found rocks in front of there tent stacked it isn't scary at all. The ending was just a guy who was possible their friend standing near a wall and we didn't even see the so called witch. There is a hundred million things I would rather do then watch it. Waste of time
July 7, 2017
This is one of the most disturbing films I've seen.
I've seen The Shining, Halloween,The Exorcist, Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Those are all horror films that I respect and love but they didn't quite pack the unsettling punch that TBWP did for me. Why? To sort of quote Stephen King's thoughts on the film, "the damn thing FEELS real". The movie's amateurish camera work combined with the actors very naturalistic performances and the director's very unHollywood approach to getting scares from both said actors and the audience all come together to create a truly nightmarish experience that FEELS real.
I respect this film so much for giving me a genuinely unique experience when it came to horror. It is the perfect example of less being more.
June 14, 2017
Initially I was extremely bored by this relatively short horror/thriller from 1999.
It features an unknown cast who at times seem to give quite frankly annoying performances.
The film follows a group of three 'students?' with plenty of time available to investigate a witch story in the town of Burkitsville nee Blair, Maryland, U.S. A forest town.
They film their story using a camcorder to record footage of their entry to the 'haunted' forest.
One of the three is called Josh (Joshua Leonard) who is the first to go missing.
The other two protagonists are Heather Donohue and Michael Williams the actors actual names!
Heather has a shrieking voice that drove me off the film. It was only the relatively short running time of 80 or so minutes that kept my attention.
Heather and Michael enter a house in the forest thinking they had heard Josh's voice.
Upon entering the property the footage abruptly ends after seeing handprints on the walls.
Relatively biring storyline. However the actors filmed their own footage and ad-libbed their lines apparently.
"Josh!"
June 11, 2017
I wish that whatever evil thing they were running from actually did come up in the movie.
June 5, 2017
Relying on suspense and psychological tension rather than onscreen action to deliver the chills, The Blair Witch Project makes effective use of its sinister setting, shaky camerawork and suggestive sound effects for a nerve-wracking campfire story -- and kicked off horror's unprecedented run of found-footage pictures in the bargain.