The Blair Witch Project - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blair Witch Project Reviews

½ June 17, 2017
A landmark film in the genre. Lingering dread builds subtly until all of a sudden you realise your heart is in your mouth.
June 14, 2017
Initially I was extremely bored by this relatively short horror/thriller from 1999.
It features an unknown cast who at times seem to give quite frankly annoying performances.
The film follows a group of three 'students?' with plenty of time available to investigate a witch story in the town of Burkitsville nee Blair, Maryland, U.S. A forest town.
They film their story using a camcorder to record footage of their entry to the 'haunted' forest.
One of the three is called Josh (Joshua Leonard) who is the first to go missing.
The other two protagonists are Heather Donohue and Michael Williams the actors actual names!
Heather has a shrieking voice that drove me off the film. It was only the relatively short running time of 80 or so minutes that kept my attention.
Heather and Michael enter a house in the forest thinking they had heard Josh's voice.
Upon entering the property the footage abruptly ends after seeing handprints on the walls.
Relatively biring storyline. However the actors filmed their own footage and ad-libbed their lines apparently.
"Josh!"
June 11, 2017
I wish that whatever evil thing they were running from actually did come up in the movie.
June 5, 2017
Relying on suspense and psychological tension rather than onscreen action to deliver the chills, The Blair Witch Project makes effective use of its sinister setting, shaky camerawork and suggestive sound effects for a nerve-wracking campfire story -- and kicked off horror's unprecedented run of found-footage pictures in the bargain.
May 29, 2017
The Blair Witch Project was a game changer in the horror genre, and still scares audiences to this day.
May 29, 2017
Worst movie ever made
May 5, 2017
Probably will go down as the greatest found footage horror film ever, and rightfully so.
May 4, 2017
NÃO COLOCARIA ESSE FILME COMO UM DOS MELHORES.
½ April 29, 2017
0.5 star just for the final scene which is creepy otherwise it's boring
April 27, 2017
I want to know where she bought batteries to her camera!
April 24, 2017
The Blair witch project is one of the scariest movie I've ever seen. It is very creepy and felt so real which added to the fear factor. I almost thought it was real but I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't. This film just feels so real. It scared me so much. This also felt new because it was a "found footage" film. That is something I'd never seen before. Now the found footage genre isn't very good anymore because this movie created a formula that almost every found footage movie uses nowadays. This was good because it was new and is the original. The plot is kinda simple and is pretty easy to follow. The ending will make you think though. The ending might leave you a little confused but it's just so thought provoking. It really will make you think. Overall this is an extremely scary movie with a good plot that is simple and pretty easy to follow. A+
April 20, 2017
1999 Was My Favorite Year In Film.
March 31, 2017
"The Blair Witch Project" makes a good attempt at being creepy by relying on the unseen, but ultimately ends up being a boring, shaky, and anticlimactic experience. It's probably one of the better found-footage/mockumentary films out there, but that really isn't saying much.
March 23, 2017
This film is just stupid. I love psychological and found footage horror films, I am one of those people who think that what exists in your imagination can be as scary as any monster or serial killer you see on screen. However, this movie lacks everything you need for an effective horror film. There is no suspense, and no story for that matter either. The entire story is a college student freaking out about stupid, useless things like piles of rocks that weren't there the night before outside their tent, and then arguing with her friends about it. This story is also very slow and deliberate, but for that to work effectively, there needs to be suspense building throughout the film. This movie has no scares, suspense, nothing to make it a memorable film. There are far better horror films out there, both psychological and found footage. Quarantine is better than this by miles, which is saying something. Do not recommend to anyone, unless what I described above is your idea of terrifying.
½ February 19, 2017
this movie is horrendous. i was soooooooooooo bored. the majority of the movie is them complaining about being lost and arguing with each other about who's fault it is. there are extensively long scenes of complete darkness i get the idea of trying to create tension, but i'm watching a motion picture without a picture for long portions of the movie. the only thing good about this is how they made it, with almost no budget and the actors having limited knowledge of the script. but even with that i can't give it a one star. there was almost nothing scary about this. other than it barely being creepy,

SPOILERS

there were literally only two scenes of something "scary" actually happening. the first takes place about an hour into the movie, and the second with 5 minutes left. i can't believe i wasted an hour and twenty minutes for those two useless scenes. and they never actually show anything. no joke. nothing. (2 viewings)
February 12, 2017
I find it hard to see how this movie was ever rated as a scary movie. It's an hour and fifteen minutes of nonsense and two minutes of 'fear'. Watch this movie if you're into tedious hiking documentaries with a tiny little bit of enjoyment thrown at you right at the very end only to be greeted with the credits. I appreciate it's supposed to be 'caught on cam" moments but really?. It had potential to scare, the ending had potential to be the actual plot. Wasted effort.
February 6, 2017
Irrational fears, that is what this movie is all about.
Three students are making a documentary on an old legend, the Blair Witch. The legend says that witches used to slaughter kids in a forest near a village. They decide to go venture deep in the forest but several days past and troubles begin.
The Blair witch is incredible in a sense that it nearly shows nothing. The young people who are shooting their documentary are hearing noises; screeching, witchcrafts artefacts, but they never get anything supernatural on cam. The build-up of this movie is amazing: the characters are slowly losing their minds and hope; they start to panic every second on something they are not even seeing! And that is the beauty of this movie; it is your childhood fears, the ones your parents told you not to worry about because they aren't even true. But they are real and still you cannot see them but you know they are nearby.
Honestly stunning, even though the movie is pretty slow-paced and there is not much story told, it is really a pleasure to watch, I recommend you watch it all alone of course.
February 3, 2017
Not Greatest But I've Seen Much Worse FF Movies And This Was Basically The 1st Of The FF Style In The Horror Genre So Even After All The Hype I Heard Of This Movie..I Didn't Have High Hopes But I Liked It!
January 25, 2017
One of the most overrated, hyped piles of garbage ever. They filmed it all with a shaky video camera on a shoestring budget and passed it off as a horror movie. 90 minutes of lame closeups of tears and runny noses is not scary.
January 14, 2017
I may just have a more positive view of this film due to the nostalgia of my first viewing. I was young child who fully bought into the "found footage" realism of the movie. The simplicity on display still remains effective and scary. This one truly started and perfected this style of film-making, and imitators will never quite be able to replicate it's success even though they try desperately to do so.