Bloodsport - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bloodsport Reviews

½ July 21, 2017
This movie was ok. It was pretty terrible, but bearable.
May 28, 2017
This was the film that introduced me to martial arts films when I was 7. I still love the soundtrack (even with the cats meowing in the background), the atmosphere and the shots of the city. You can watch for the nostalgia or just to be entertained by the unintentional hillarious moments. And you also have a frustrated young Forest Whitaker in it. What's not to love?
½ May 21, 2017
One of the top rated martial arts films of its era, filled with 80's cheese and great action scenes
May 18, 2017
Very entertaining martial arts flick that you can overlook parts that aren't so great.
May 6, 2017
Was such a major inspiration for me doing martial arts
½ April 27, 2017
This movie is pretty simple. Not a whole lot of depth to it, but it is still a worthwhile investment of time if you like this genre of movie. Jean-Claude Van Damme is not a great actor, but he shines in films like these. It is a bit cheesy, but that added to the enjoyment. An oldie worth revisiting.
½ March 12, 2017
This is probably one of the only movies I enjoyed as a kid that still enjoy as an adult I enjoy every aspect of this movie from its cheesiness to the fight scenes
March 5, 2017
3/5/2017: A classic 80's martial arts film! By today's standards it could be considered a cheesy B movie though.
September 12, 2016
The 80s feeling allover, climb to the top, and conquer the throne. Hard body, hard fighting, squished out of a real story. Easy entermaint, but its working for what it is.
September 3, 2016
Cornball, but quite entertaining film that tells the "true" story of Frank Dux entering into a violent underground no-hold-barred fight competition. A young Jean-Claude Van Damme plays Dux and is quite good. However, it's the villainous Bolo Yueg who steal the film as the hulking brutal main rival in the competition. I'd completely forgotten that Forest Whitaker had a part in this film, but he is excellent as always and way too good of an actor for this drivel. Still, it's pretty entertaining drivel and features a completely rad 80s score by Paul Hertzog and some wonderfully Eye of the Tiger-like inspirational rock ballads from Stan Bush. Well worth watching for 80s action film fans.
August 5, 2016
For 80's fighting movies you can beat it. All the cliches are there and yes you want him to win in the end. Mortal Kombar and similar games would wouldn't even exist without movies like this.
June 20, 2016
If you are a fan of martial arts action films then you'll understand why this movie has such a high rating. Van Damme's first starring role was played perfectly. Of course, it probably helped that he was trained by the real Frank Dux (the man he was portraying in the film) for a few months before filming. Great fight choreography and a surprise role for a still young Forest Whitaker. Classic lines as well. This film has a soft spot for many action fans and I am definitely in that group.
February 6, 2016
This is a mostly silly martial arts flick. Considered as one of Van Damme's classics. If you're into martial arts or MA movies, you'll probably enjoy it for what it is. Having done martial arts, a lot of what they do is absurd. For instance, no one blocks in this movie! They just let Van Damme kick them in the face! smh...
January 30, 2016
True story. At times he fought blind as a bat with a touch of inspiration. Impressive for an American.
From 1975 to 1980, Frank W. Dux had 329 matches. He has retired undefeated as the Heavyweight class Kumite champion. He still holds records to this day. Quickest knockout: 32 seconds. Quickest punch in a knockout: 3.2 seconds. Fastest Kick in a knockout: 72 MPH. Total knockouts: 92.
December 27, 2015
Three stars strictly for the entertaining fight scenes.
½ December 15, 2015
Review coming soon...
½ November 28, 2015
Van Damme, enough said.
November 23, 2015
a forgotten childhood favorite
September 15, 2015
I grew up on this! Never gets old! Frank Dux is a machine. So many classic scenes. So many classic lines ("Okay, USA!"). And Chong Li is about the Baddest Mofo that ever lived. Kumite!
September 6, 2015
Possibly my favourite martial arts movie of all time, superb