Blue Jasmine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Jasmine Reviews

December 13, 2017
***AMERICA'S MOST HEART-WRENCHING PSYCHO-TRAGI-COMEDY LA WOODY ALLEN***
September 18, 2017
Blue Jasmine was a disappointment, I left the theatre having the sensation that was really a weak movie.

First of all I feel is offensive for an important artist like Woody Allen to quote"A Streetcar named Desire" so shamelessly, but the Jasmine character portrayed by Cate Blanchett was especially identical to the legendary "Blanche du Bois" Played by Vivien Leigh in the 1951 movie. Her acting was good but you just felt like she decided to play "Blanche" in the middle of a Woody Allen script.

Louis CK was pretty funny as usual but couldn't help just play himself like he does in Louie.

In the end it felt like a sad comedy or a tragedy too ridiculous to be dramatic. There is a good socio-political commentary with wall street in the background but has such a marginal role that can be easily ignored by the viewer.

As usual Woody Allen of the last few years is really hit or miss, maybe he should reconsider making one movie a year.
September 10, 2017
A very good character study, Maybe a little over complicated but it's supported with cate blanchett spectacular performance
August 21, 2017
8/10 Great acting and as an Allen-y plot and characters as you expect, this bitter-sweet (mostly bitter) comedy drama touches and makes you think.
August 19, 2017
Allen keeps on writing great roles and casting actors in those roles that you wouldn't expect, but admire nevertheless for their execution.
½ July 29, 2017
Not very good at all.
½ July 23, 2017
Cate Blanchett was terrific in this Academy Award winning performance. Probably not for everyone's taste, but I really enjoyed this comedic drama. Surprisingly good in my opinion!
July 2, 2017
Intriguing look into the life of a wealthy women (played brilliantly by Cate Blanchett) who looses everything.
June 17, 2017
Blue Jasmine is one of the great films of 2013 and Woody Allens best i ever saw !It's a character study at once funny and sad, disturbing and tender... Cate Blanchett gives the performance of her career! A well deserved Oscar
½ June 11, 2017
An excellently executed film - even if the story is fairly standard. Cate Blanchett acts phenomenally and is captured by strong camera work in some beautiful sets. The biggest complaint I have from it is the child actors, who were just used as props and had abysmal acting talent. Thankfully the film was good enough that it didn't bother me too much.
June 10, 2017
What an overrated film. Yes the acting is great. But what a dull story about a dull screwed up person. Dice is surprisingly excellent in his small supporting role. Miserable depressing ending with no redemption or resolution.
June 3, 2017
Blanchet is divine. Pretty good form for Woody too.
May 20, 2017
Superb acting acting all round, nice set.
End is a bit of a disappointment after the lovely flow of the piece.
May 14, 2017
Some really great acting highlights this, at times predictable story of a woman's decline after the collapse of her marriage and her life. Cate Blanchett won a well deserved Oscar for her portrayal of Jasmine, but the story seems somewhat contrived and Woody Allen's direction is good, but not up to his heyday work.
April 9, 2017
My first foray into the filmography of Woody Allen and though this drama does have a solid cast who act really well, looks great, has a good score and a decent plot I can't relate or sympathise with the majority of the characters who for the most part come across as flimsy and self centred. The script is also pretty average with plenty of exposition and it feels rushed, could've done with a longer runtime.
½ March 13, 2017
Cate Blanchett's outstanding performance is perfect as a wealthy woman whose wonderful life is tested after being aware that her millionaire husband had cheated on her on countless ocassions and had illegal businesses all over. A perfect transition from having it all to having nothing and a dramatic descent into madness. Absolutely worthy of her Academy Award for Best Actress!! As well as Sally Hawkins's nomination :)
March 6, 2017
Perhaps a bit too dark for my taste and not the biggest fans of ambiguous endings...
February 17, 2017
Cate Blanchett is my personal favorite Actress, and this movie shows you why
½ February 4, 2017
Once again, Cate Blanchett delights us with such a supreme and amazing interpretation of a woman who after losing all her money, she eventually witnesses an exasperating collapse of her mind. Woody Allen's creativity and ability to create powerful movies is shown in this melodrama, being a great psychological and thought-provoking study of how anxiety, depression and many other symptoms can a person have after a radical change on their lifestyle. This situation can happen to anyone, so it makes us think about people we may know who have experienced something similar, developing empathy on this profound observation.
February 4, 2017
'Blue Jasmine' has a non-linear and parallel-like structure that shows us the progression of its premise, a New York housewife who struggles with a life crisis, once residing at her Park Avenue Penthouse, now minimized to a cramped San Francisco apartment with her sister Ginger. Now Jasmine has to put her life together piece by piece.

Cate Blanchett gives a transformative performance as Jasmine, a neurotic and narcissistic character. Jasmine is fleshed out, unraveled excellently, and the rendering is uncanny. 'Blue Jasmine' utilizes Blanchett's talents which buoys the film while also examining relevant socio-economic issues such as class.

Its premise is fully realized at the end, a painful and delicate conclusion to the deterioration of an ambitious life founded on duplicity