Blue Jasmine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blue Jasmine Reviews

March 12, 2018
Cate Blanchett give amazing performance
½ February 8, 2018
Not much new in this drama, but Blanchett is good and it was compelling.
January 27, 2018
One of the greatest performance I've ever seen, by Cate Blanchett
January 24, 2018
This blonde chick obviously has issues. Some really deep rooted issues. She seems like she has anxiety problems and might be a slight bit neurotic. Definitely mindful of her status and the material things she surrounds herself with. It's almost very difficult to watch her at times. Cate Blanchett is a fucking genius when it comes to acting. She fully envelopes herself and become the character lives in their skin. She's great. No lie though, I would so have sex with Cate. She's pretty smoking.

Was not expecting to see Louis C.K. at all. What a bummer when the brunette finds out the guy has a wife. I was really happy for her, rooting for her. Life sucks sometimes. What a just cast of dysfunctional characters.

I know Woody tries to paint the movie charming with it's cast of sometimes funny characters, but it's actually a pretty dark movie when you take away all the ragtime good-feel music and look at the heart of it. A woman who cant find true love, the husband hung himself, the son wants nothing to do with her and she's two steps away from being admitted to the psychiatric ward. Pretty fucking dark stuff Woody is painting.

She's a one wreck of a person and a very dysfunctional human being. She just can't cut a break with finding true love. Everyone that seems to come into her life either she brings down with her or they bring her down. Cate did a terrifyingly wonderful job portraying a woman on the brink of being admitted to the nut house. If you ask me, it's only a matter of time before she kills herself. That's the direction I see the film going.

Overall, this is the most non Woody Allen film I've seen. It's pretty dark material even for him. It's not something I'd want to revisit even if some of the characters are charming. This movie's real, maybe a little too real. I just wonder what Woody was going through in his life that inspired him to write such a movie.
½ January 1, 2018
Enjoy the one-woman show that is Cate Blanchett. She's a stunner in this one.

Please don't assume I'm degrading Blanchett's performance to a glib comment about her appearance-she consistently looks amazing even as her character unravels-, but it's the unraveling that's truly stunning.

Capturing the essence of mental illness in her eyes and facial expressions, her 'Jasmine' is nebulous and a bit scary; you're never quite sure if she's just about to completely lose it. To be fair, with all the shit that happens to her and her general mental frailty, it's almost surprising that she keeps it together until the end.

Reserving personal judgment on the ethical and moral behavior of director Woody Allen off screen (don't even get me started), I'm always surprised by how much I like his movies. He creates and encapsulates tiny worlds with his screenplays, and brings a similar tone but unique finger print to each. They're like somewhat related siblings in a very large and fascinating family. Really, he's just capturing the essence of human nature.

We are such interesting creatures, especially when put under stress. Blue Jasmine captures this, and gives the viewer a moment to pause on our own reactions. In those situations, I'd probably go for the xanax too, or at least absorb myself in more movies.
½ December 30, 2017
I'm only here for Cate Blanchett's wonderful performance.
December 24, 2017

[Woody Allen]
December 20, 2017
I loved this movie. Cate Blanchett is so awesome as always. She is one of my favorite movie actress. I wish the movie was longer. Story was awesome. I want to own the DVD.
December 13, 2017
September 18, 2017
Blue Jasmine was a disappointment, I left the theatre having the sensation that was really a weak movie.

First of all I feel is offensive for an important artist like Woody Allen to quote"A Streetcar named Desire" so shamelessly, but the Jasmine character portrayed by Cate Blanchett was especially identical to the legendary "Blanche du Bois" Played by Vivien Leigh in the 1951 movie. Her acting was good but you just felt like she decided to play "Blanche" in the middle of a Woody Allen script.

Louis CK was pretty funny as usual but couldn't help just play himself like he does in Louie.

In the end it felt like a sad comedy or a tragedy too ridiculous to be dramatic. There is a good socio-political commentary with wall street in the background but has such a marginal role that can be easily ignored by the viewer.

As usual Woody Allen of the last few years is really hit or miss, maybe he should reconsider making one movie a year.
September 10, 2017
A very good character study, Maybe a little over complicated but it's supported with cate blanchett spectacular performance
August 21, 2017
8/10 Great acting and as an Allen-y plot and characters as you expect, this bitter-sweet (mostly bitter) comedy drama touches and makes you think.
August 19, 2017
Allen keeps on writing great roles and casting actors in those roles that you wouldn't expect, but admire nevertheless for their execution.
½ July 29, 2017
Not very good at all.
½ July 23, 2017
Cate Blanchett was terrific in this Academy Award winning performance. Probably not for everyone's taste, but I really enjoyed this comedic drama. Surprisingly good in my opinion!
July 2, 2017
Intriguing look into the life of a wealthy women (played brilliantly by Cate Blanchett) who looses everything.
June 17, 2017
Blue Jasmine is one of the great films of 2013 and Woody Allens best i ever saw !It's a character study at once funny and sad, disturbing and tender... Cate Blanchett gives the performance of her career! A well deserved Oscar
½ June 11, 2017
An excellently executed film - even if the story is fairly standard. Cate Blanchett acts phenomenally and is captured by strong camera work in some beautiful sets. The biggest complaint I have from it is the child actors, who were just used as props and had abysmal acting talent. Thankfully the film was good enough that it didn't bother me too much.
June 10, 2017
What an overrated film. Yes the acting is great. But what a dull story about a dull screwed up person. Dice is surprisingly excellent in his small supporting role. Miserable depressing ending with no redemption or resolution.
June 3, 2017
Blanchet is divine. Pretty good form for Woody too.