Booksmart Reviews

• 6h ago

Top 5 movie of the year. Fun and sincere.

Top 5 movie of the year. Fun and sincere.

• Katie
    11h ago

Clever and hilarious movie with a fresh voice! Great summer comedy!

Clever and hilarious movie with a fresh voice! Great summer comedy!

• 12h ago

Extremely raunchy but cute. Radically a female version of Superbad.

Extremely raunchy but cute. Radically a female version of Superbad.

• Lauren B
    21h ago

very cute and enjoyable!! we had 4 friends (3 girls and a guy) watching this movie... a 21 year old, 33, 37, and 39 (guy), we all really liked it! :)

• Tennessee Gal
    1d ago

This film received a lot of good reviews, so I thought it was a safe bet. Never have I been more disappointed! The premise - smart young women who focused on doing well in school discover that OTHERS who partied did just as well and are going to name colleges - and therefore decide that they must have ONE NIGHT of doing all the things they imagine others have been doing - is problematic. The events that transpire are predictable, up to and including the get-it-all-out fight between the two protaganists, AND the sudden appearance of the cool teacher who miraculously turns up just as the last phone dies to take them to THE party, happens to have cool outfits they can wear, and incidentally appears to get it on with a former student (but he's 20 so it's ok - ugh). The director attempted to make this lame film better by bombarding the audience with crude language and constant reference to body parts. It didn't work. The movie was neither funny nor honest. Don't bother.

• lvnv
    1d ago

Great cast. Great direction. Great story. Very funny. Two thumbs way up.

Great cast. Great direction. Great story. Very funny. Two thumbs way up.

• 2d ago

It was fantastic! Felt good to see a movie with characters I could relate to. Saw it twice and loved it.

• 2d ago

Funniest movie I’ve seen in years!

Funniest movie I’ve seen in years!

• 2d ago

It sacrifices realism in order to facilitate more comedy in a way that doesn't work for me. The comparisons to Superbad are fair and this movie falls far below it. The story isn't as strongly constructed and it doesn't flow between set pieces as well as it's predecessor. I give credit to both main actresses, they were easily the best characters in the movie and were the main reason I continued to watch it. The score was too much for the majority of the movie, but I understand the director was trying to use the juxtaposition for extra humor. In a movie about teenagers, it's hilarious neither of the leads consider texting for the party's address. The use of a student teacher relationship as humor is weird. It wouldn't be considered funny if the genders were switched, even if the student is technically graduating the following day. Ladybird was a better comedy while still covering female masturbation and other teenage girl topics.

• 2d ago

Olivia Wilde crafts in her directorial debut what is perhaps the most funny and fresh entry on the coming-of-age genre in a long time, pulling together representativeness with a fast-paced, nuanced and smart teen drama brought to life by the sharp and touching interplay between its lead stars - alongside a mesmerizing scene-stealer Billie Lourd.