The Bourne Supremacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Supremacy Reviews

February 2, 2019
while not as great as the first, it has a story line that continues to do the film series justice. also, Matt Damon, you are a sexy and bodacious beast
January 24, 2019
Once again, another Bourne movie....but definitely not as good as the first.
Firstly, I was a bit disappointed when I found out that THE BOURNE SUPREMACY does not follow the real story by Robert Ludlum. The director decided to take a new approach, hence a new story arc.
I also thought this movie had less suspense then the first. The first movie gripped me because we have to find out Jason Bourne's identity, and slowly realize that he has had special training in things he should not know. Doug Liman creates his movie in a certain way so that the spectators can piece the puzzle together. It was a little mysterious, I guess. This movie fails on that note, too. He wants to find his wife's killer, even though we all know it was ordered by a high-ranking person in the CIA. I didn't get the same suspenseful sensation as before because I knew who Jason Bourne was working with.
But, to end this review on a positive tone, I want to praise the director's editing. Paul Greengrass is the only person out there who knows how to use quick-cut editing to make his action scenes more brutal, realistic and fast-paced, so I was pleased with that. Matt Damon once again gives 200% in his role, and I thought that Joan Allen was superbe in this movie.
So, although I was a little disappointed, THE BOURNE SUPREMACY is still an above-average action/revenge thriller.
½ December 4, 2018
A thrilling sequels that delivers a great spy story. Just not as good as the first one because of a silly villain and not being as memorable as the first. But a great follow up.
½ July 25, 2018
The Bourne Supremacy delivers the thrills that we all loved from the original but lacks as good of a plot.
-7/10
July 12, 2018
Definitely enjoyed it more than i thought i would (again the books) but i thought it finished really abruptly and with films being heavily influenced by Greengrass since a lot of this now feels like the norm.
½ June 18, 2018
It is hard to create a sequel that is very close in quality to the first film. but this movie accomplishes that.
½ April 16, 2018
Retaining the first film's charisma and charm, while ramping up the intelligence, speed, and intensity, The Bourne Supremacy improves on nearly every aspect of the original, and introduces a far more intimidating side to the character and world alike. With directorial duties shifted from Doug Liman to Paul Greengrass, who through his deft hand at film-making (including utilization of "shaky-cam" with actual tact to convey extreme tenseness and various survival instincts kicking in) incorporates a much darker, more raw and cerebral feel to the mood and atmosphere of the film, injecting it with a new-found stamina that continues the brilliant legacy of the original, while changing the overall tone dramatically. An absolutely brilliant sequel to the original, The Bourne Supremacy yet again doesn't quite reach the high water-mark of it's utterly masterful follow-up, but it comes pretty damn close. 9.2/10

That RT critics consensus is hilarious, though. "A well-maded sequel that delivers the thrills." LMAO WHO PROOFREAD THAT ONE?
April 6, 2018
Die hard fans of "The Bourne Identity" will find this sequel satisfying, but for other movie goers, "The Bourne Supremacy" will leave them robbed of their money.
March 19, 2018
A non stop investment of action and entertainment, that is very fortunate to still have enough of the mystery and intrigue that made "the Identity" so killer awesome.
½ March 3, 2018
Fantastic sequel - still holds up today
½ February 25, 2018
Good, but not as good as the first. Didn't like the ending, since there really didn't seem to be one. Julia Stiles was the best part of the movie, and she didn't even play a big role. I don't know why this movie has been given such high ratings.
½ February 8, 2018
Less plot-centered but more unique than the first movie, this sequel has gripping action, including spectacular car chases, and moments of suspenseful intrigue.
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original:6.5

Mejor que la anterior, con una trama más sólida, muy bien trabajado, con un magnífico Matt Damon que encaja muy bien con su personaje.
December 3, 2017
Well-crafted, lots of action, a few twists, and a good sequel to Identity.
½ October 11, 2017
With Bourne hell bent on finding out and destroying Treadstone for their apparent involvement in attack on Bourne and his girlfriend, this movie is a treat to watch. Intelligent plot, smart moves and breathtaking action scenes would make you feel an adrenaline rush. It's revenge time.. bring it on..
DrStrangeblog
August 24, 2017
This Bourne adventure piales in the shadow of its predecessor for two main reasons:

1)The loss of Franka Potente as Marie, a sounding board for Bourne show his soul to, giving us insight into his motivations and trepidations. Without her, he's just another silent assassin.

2) Paul Greengrass is half the action director that Douglas Lima was, employing a supremely disorienting style of handheld cameras, confusing the audience rather than engaging them.

Despite this bad form, the highlight of the film is a high impact car chase through the busy streets of a Russian city.
½ August 19, 2017
It doesn't quite live up to the first film, but Supremacy is still an amazing film. Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass are an awesome filmmaking duo, and the film brings back everything that made Identity great and more.
August 6, 2017
You wanna go home? Find Jason Bourne.
½ July 12, 2017
'THE BOURNE SUPREMACY' was directed by Paul Greengrass and stars Matt Damon, Joan Allen and Brian Cox. ?Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) is living in India when he is framed by Russian agent Kirill (Karl Urban) for the theft of millions from the CIA. Kirill begins to pursue Bourne, intending to assassinate him -- but while Bourne and his girlfriend, Marie (Franka Potente), are on the run, a shot meant for him kills her instead. Vowing revenge, Bourne sets out to prove his innocence and bring the culprits to justice, but he has to evade CIA head Pamela Landry (Joan Allen), who is convinced he is guilty.

I actively dislike 'The Bourne Identity'. I was very disappointed by it and don't understand the love for it. Thus, I put off seeing this movie for quite some time. I regret doing so. 'The Bourne Supremacy' trumps its predecessor in pretty much every conceivable way. Franka Potente's character, Marie Kreutz, from the first was probably my least favourite part of the movie and she's gone! I imagine this upset many people but I personally was delirious with it and love the arc change it gives to Bourne. Enough comparisons, let's get into what makes this movie great.

The story. I really like the story for this movie but I don't know why. It shouldn't work for me but there is some mystery and government conspiracy that entices me to like it. I know that this is basically a good way to describe the plot of Identity but it felt so much more refined in this one than it did with Identity. I do have issues with the way the film ends, however. It feels kinda anti-climactic and the final scene is very weak, without context from Ultimatum. I wont spoil the ending but I just wasn't very satisfied by it.

Damon was good in Identity and I will say he was probably the best part of the film. We see his transformation into Bourne at the end and that is fully explored in this movie, and that benefits Damon immensely. It enables him to give a brilliant performance that delves deep into Bourne's mind and portrays a unique blend of pure, unfiltered emotion and pure, unfiltered awesomeness. Opposing Bourne is my least favourite aspect of this film. The villain is very weak overall and I was not impressed or entertained by them in the slightest. Karl Urban's Kiril was pretty cool and provided a physical opposition to Bourne but had too little backstory and motivation to make me really feel invested in his character or care. I get he is a contract killer and that is fine but I would have liked more explanation to his character and background.

Joan Allen was very good as Pamela Landy and was a very welcome addition to the cast. Brian Cox was great as Ward Abbot but I would have liked a little more from him in the long run character wise. The other, more minor supporting cast, all did fine jobs and none of them actively irked me, performance wise.

Aside from ONE poorly done action scene in this movie, the movie was well shot, directed and edited together. Greengrass remains the only living director capable of using hand-held cam effectively and, while he perfects the craft later on, utilises the unpopular technique effectively here. There are next to no special effects in this movie which is both phenomenal and admirable for an action film in this day and age and I cannot thank the crew enough for that.

This is more minor but I love the score for these movies. It's awesome and amazing and badass and has earned my love. I rarely comment on a film's score unless I like it a lot so good job to the composers.

In conclusion, I really liked The Bourne Supremacy. If, like me, you didn't like Identity, I still urge you to give this one a shot. It's got great acting, good action, an interesting story, and while the villain does drag it down a peg or two, it is still a thrilling ride from beginning to end. I'll rate this movie a solid 7 Stalking Bournes out of 10 and definitely recommend you see this great movie.
June 30, 2017
It excites its audiences about as much as the first, with a plot that brings in enough questions to generate a story and tying up loose ends established in Identity. The third act takes a bit of a dive with an action sequence that doesn't advance much of anything but continues for a good chunk of time before thrusting us into an ending that is a little emotionally distant considering the weight of its revelations.