The Bourne Supremacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Supremacy Reviews

½ October 11, 2017
With Bourne hell bent on finding out and destroying Treadstone for their apparent involvement in attack on Bourne and his girlfriend, this movie is a treat to watch. Intelligent plot, smart moves and breathtaking action scenes would make you feel an adrenaline rush. It's revenge time.. bring it on..
DrStrangeblog
August 24, 2017
This Bourne adventure piales in the shadow of its predecessor for two main reasons:

1)The loss of Franka Potente as Marie, a sounding board for Bourne show his soul to, giving us insight into his motivations and trepidations. Without her, he's just another silent assassin.

2) Paul Greengrass is half the action director that Douglas Lima was, employing a supremely disorienting style of handheld cameras, confusing the audience rather than engaging them.

Despite this bad form, the highlight of the film is a high impact car chase through the busy streets of a Russian city.
½ August 19, 2017
It doesn't quite live up to the first film, but Supremacy is still an amazing film. Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass are an awesome filmmaking duo, and the film brings back everything that made Identity great and more.
August 6, 2017
You wanna go home? Find Jason Bourne.
½ July 12, 2017
'THE BOURNE SUPREMACY' was directed by Paul Greengrass and stars Matt Damon, Joan Allen and Brian Cox. ?Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) is living in India when he is framed by Russian agent Kirill (Karl Urban) for the theft of millions from the CIA. Kirill begins to pursue Bourne, intending to assassinate him -- but while Bourne and his girlfriend, Marie (Franka Potente), are on the run, a shot meant for him kills her instead. Vowing revenge, Bourne sets out to prove his innocence and bring the culprits to justice, but he has to evade CIA head Pamela Landry (Joan Allen), who is convinced he is guilty.

I actively dislike 'The Bourne Identity'. I was very disappointed by it and don't understand the love for it. Thus, I put off seeing this movie for quite some time. I regret doing so. 'The Bourne Supremacy' trumps its predecessor in pretty much every conceivable way. Franka Potente's character, Marie Kreutz, from the first was probably my least favourite part of the movie and she's gone! I imagine this upset many people but I personally was delirious with it and love the arc change it gives to Bourne. Enough comparisons, let's get into what makes this movie great.

The story. I really like the story for this movie but I don't know why. It shouldn't work for me but there is some mystery and government conspiracy that entices me to like it. I know that this is basically a good way to describe the plot of Identity but it felt so much more refined in this one than it did with Identity. I do have issues with the way the film ends, however. It feels kinda anti-climactic and the final scene is very weak, without context from Ultimatum. I wont spoil the ending but I just wasn't very satisfied by it.

Damon was good in Identity and I will say he was probably the best part of the film. We see his transformation into Bourne at the end and that is fully explored in this movie, and that benefits Damon immensely. It enables him to give a brilliant performance that delves deep into Bourne's mind and portrays a unique blend of pure, unfiltered emotion and pure, unfiltered awesomeness. Opposing Bourne is my least favourite aspect of this film. The villain is very weak overall and I was not impressed or entertained by them in the slightest. Karl Urban's Kiril was pretty cool and provided a physical opposition to Bourne but had too little backstory and motivation to make me really feel invested in his character or care. I get he is a contract killer and that is fine but I would have liked more explanation to his character and background.

Joan Allen was very good as Pamela Landy and was a very welcome addition to the cast. Brian Cox was great as Ward Abbot but I would have liked a little more from him in the long run character wise. The other, more minor supporting cast, all did fine jobs and none of them actively irked me, performance wise.

Aside from ONE poorly done action scene in this movie, the movie was well shot, directed and edited together. Greengrass remains the only living director capable of using hand-held cam effectively and, while he perfects the craft later on, utilises the unpopular technique effectively here. There are next to no special effects in this movie which is both phenomenal and admirable for an action film in this day and age and I cannot thank the crew enough for that.

This is more minor but I love the score for these movies. It's awesome and amazing and badass and has earned my love. I rarely comment on a film's score unless I like it a lot so good job to the composers.

In conclusion, I really liked The Bourne Supremacy. If, like me, you didn't like Identity, I still urge you to give this one a shot. It's got great acting, good action, an interesting story, and while the villain does drag it down a peg or two, it is still a thrilling ride from beginning to end. I'll rate this movie a solid 7 Stalking Bournes out of 10 and definitely recommend you see this great movie.
June 30, 2017
It excites its audiences about as much as the first, with a plot that brings in enough questions to generate a story and tying up loose ends established in Identity. The third act takes a bit of a dive with an action sequence that doesn't advance much of anything but continues for a good chunk of time before thrusting us into an ending that is a little emotionally distant considering the weight of its revelations.
½ June 26, 2017
This is a worthy sequel to The Bourne Identity, this time with more action.

9.0/10
½ June 20, 2017
This movie dives deeper into Jason Bournes past. It has a great story and great acting. Great new characters are brought into this movie. There's a lot of action, better than the first. Very enjoyable!
June 18, 2017
One of the best action movie i've ever seen !!! Just amazing !!!
June 16, 2017
The Bourne Supremacy is a smartly-written and entertaining sequel that boasts heart-stopping action and even a bit of drama as, early on, a likable character, whom I'm going to keep anonymous to avoid being accused of spoiling the movie, from Identity is killed off. Matt Damon is once again a badass in the role and he pulls off such a compelling performance as the titular amnesiac former CIA assassin that you don't need to be familiar with the Robert Ludlum books to enjoy it. However, one thing I didn't really enjoy was the overuse of shaky camera. While the action sequences keep you wanting Bourne to prevail, the shaky cam made it hard for me to understand which one's Bourne and felt that the car chases weren't quite on par with the one from the first film. This movie is still a winner in its own right nevertheless.
June 11, 2017
Strong followup film in this adrenaline-charged action series.
June 10, 2017
This second film in the series keeps up with the first without any shortfall in the plot development and overall engagement. I can appreciate the new kinds of challenges that Bourne faces and can clearly see how they left a hook for a follow-up film.
June 9, 2017
Even better action than the first one, particularly the stunning car chase at the climax. But story feels rather thin.
½ June 1, 2017
The middle film of the trilogy, Supremacy still brings Bourne's story along well with more great action and thrills.
April 26, 2017
A continuation of Bourne on the run and still lives up to the first with great action scenes
April 6, 2017
My favorite Jason Bourne adventure!
March 9, 2017
would be better rating if the camera would stop shaking around the place
March 7, 2017
What a great sequel! Probably even better than the first. The action scenes are awesome. Damon & the cast are great. This franchise gets better and better.
½ March 5, 2017
Another good addition after the Bourne Identity, the movie explores Bourne's past and is another action paced movie. Excellent action packed thriller.
February 22, 2017
"The Bourne Supremacy" adds excitement and thrill to the Bourne franchise, and personally I found it to be much more intense than the first movie. This second instalment in the Bourne series basically is where Jason Bourne's (Matt Damon) revenge comes in, and where the action plot takes over, whereas the first movie was basically an establishment of the characters, and just progressing the story to have a lead up to "The Bourne Supremacy". This movie uses that build up, and absolutely runs with it. The amount of intensity that this movie brings is amazing, from the car chases, to the phone calls that Bourne makes to Pamela Landy (Joan Allen), to all the fight scenes in between, "The Bourne Supremacy" has all the pieces to be a classic action movie. Matt Damon fills the role stunningly - Jason Bourne is just SUCH a badass in this movie. Every line he delivers seems like it was edited for weeks by writers before it was put into the script - his character is that good in this movie. The only issue that I have with this movie, however, is the multi-dimensional plot that it brings in. If you miss a scene or two, this movie suddenly gets extremely confusing, as every part of this movie showcases an eventful part of the plot, which gets kind of overwhelming. But, once you get past the plot and just let the beauty of the movie's thrill, excitement, and sheer intensity, "The Bourne Supremacy" is definitely worth the watch.