The Boy Friend Reviews

• Jul 17, 2020

Twiggy was surprisingly good but she is the only thing that really works.

Twiggy was surprisingly good but she is the only thing that really works.

• Mar 29, 2017

Surprisingly straightforward Busby Berkley throwback style musical comedy from writer/director Ken Russell, the man behind such dark and edgy of films as "Altered State," "Lair of the White Worm," "Whore" and his boundary pushing D.H. Lawrence film adaptations. The story here follows a "42 Street" type of a story about a understudy, Twiggy, getting her big break when a stage musical's star cannot go on. This film is interesting in that it is quite true to the Busby Berkley style of musical numbers, though Russell films some of them in his own unique manner that incorporates backstage perspectives, occasional touches of the surreal, and infuses them with genuine emotion. Twiggy is quite good in the lead and gives a very likable performance. The photography is gorgeous. The period costumes and sets (which is mainly a theater), all seem spot on. I'm not a huge fan of musicals, but I found this one quite enjoyable. I'm guessing fans of this genre may find this film even more of a treat than I did.

• Feb 11, 2017

Unusual to say the least. Some stunning choreographed visuals though.

Unusual to say the least. Some stunning choreographed visuals though.

• Feb 04, 2017

Great sets, great style. Lots of sight gags that are supposed to be engaging, but it drags, drags, and gets boring very fast.

• Mar 29, 2016

Leave it to Ken Russell to direct a movie about putting on a play which is being being considered to be optioned as a movie while simultaneously being performed both on stage and in the actors personal lives. I adored this movie, it left me with a huge smile on my face for two hours. Ken Russell is my favorite for pretty much every reason in this film- the consistent style that never lets up and only gets more intense, dazzling visuals/costumes/makeup/sets/camera work, his indulgence in what he likes that borderlines on too much but always manages to save itself from becoming stale, a great sense of humor and iconic actors going over the top but to perfection. Twiggy is perfect in this role and fascinating to look at at every turn. Tommy Tune also steals the show.

• Mar 22, 2015

A classic in it's own way.

A classic in it's own way.

• Feb 25, 2015

Saw this for free and still wanted my money back! One of the most excruciatingly awful movies I have ever seen.

• Jun 28, 2014

Not easy to find, but well worth it for musical fans. The film is worth seeing for the amazing set and production design. Not to mention and fun cultural moment of Twiggy still in her prime. Fun and imaginative stuff.

• Feb 19, 2013

More a lesson in style (Ken Russell) than anything memorable, even with Twiggy.

More a lesson in style (Ken Russell) than anything memorable, even with Twiggy.

• Dec 30, 2012

I have loved this film since it opened in 1971. Like Russell I love the musicals of movie musicals of the thirties like the Berkeley films, and enjoy backstage stories. The film is a bravura piece of filmmaking - parodying those thirties films as well as second rate theatrical troupes and even his own films. A must see for film musical fanatics.