Brassed Off - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brassed Off Reviews

November 5, 2016
A solid drama with plenty of emotional scenes although perhaps a little too political towards the end.
½ October 8, 2015
Had heart but no romance and kinda boring
March 15, 2015
Movie night with Iris.

So many of these films in the 90s. However its charming, well-acted and with added poignancy since Postlethwaite subsequently died.
September 1, 2014
Great british film, full of every emotion
May 20, 2014
Obscure British gem. One of my all-time favorite. Highly recommended
May 2, 2014
Heart warming story of a mining community and its band.
½ November 1, 2013
A Great British classic. Pete Postlethwaite is missed.
October 12, 2013
was a miner me sen and this captures the pit closure times perfect.Tompkinson should have got top honours for his role, a man on the edge.
August 29, 2013
Another pretty good movie from Mark Herman, who also did Little Voice, a movie I reviewed a couple of days ago. And, like Little Voice, there's a more serious message at its core. Though this movie did it far more openly than Little Voice ever did. Of course, the movie wears its message on its sleeves and that message is shitting on the government for closing down mining pits that have led, since the 80s, to 250,000 people losing their jobs. The movie sees a community of miners, who also happen to be in a brass band, fighting to keep their jobs, fighting what is, most likely, a losing battle. The brass band is the only thing that is really keeping them together during this difficult time, so the movie is definitely as dramatic as it is comedic. But there is a problem with this. It's not bad, and I actually did like the dramatic stuff. While cliched and a little sappy, its characters are likable and easy to relate to. The problem is that, outside of a few exceptions, the comedy and the drama never mix. The movie goes like this the first 40 minutes or so of the movie are the comedic portion of the film. This first part of the film is like one film unto itself. The next 40 minutes are dedicated to the more serious stuff, with little to any comedy. The last 20 minutes of the movie are the preparation for the finals and the finals itself, nothing really funny or dramatic here...well other than Danny's speech when they win, which was probably a little preachy, yet still effective. And I think that's a problem, the movie never finds the right balance at all. It's like you'd tell your children, boys play with boys and girls play with girls. Except that in this case it's the comedy and the drama. The movie just never finds a consistent tone. I realize a lot of movies take this same approach. Yet, somehow, in this movie it's far more obvious than in a lot of other movies. It was really jarring to spend 40 straight minutes without a single laugh. And, again, I think they do a good job at really showing how the government's decision will negatively affect many families, this is illustrated the most in Phil's character, but I think this part of the movie could've used a little more comedy. And that's this movie's biggest problems, the comedy and the drama in this film are kept as far apart as is humanly possible. Because of that, it ends up feeling like 2 different movies in one. I think the writing is solid, the comedy is good but, much like Little Voice, not laugh out loud funny. I really did like the movie. If it hadn't been for the way the two genres were kept apart as if they were allergic to one another. But this movie has all the ingredients, a solid cast, some good writing and some social commentary. Granted the social commentary is WAY to obvious but, again, the movie makes a lot of good points. Still the movie is, structurally, a goddamn mess. Pretty good movie but a disappointment in some regards.
July 24, 2013
DVD scratched so didn't finish it... Didn't mind.
½ June 22, 2013
ewan mcgregor in one of his better movies and you really feel for the town with the struggles they are going thru. definitely worth watching :)
May 14, 2013
A classic film still one off my favourites! Ok for all the people who don't know brassed off is a true story. It is set in Grimely AKA Grimethorpe, Barnsley, England. It is based around the pits collery band. The band evenchaly works there way up to performing at the albert hall for the great britan brass band championships. The story is a rollercoster of emotion with some very emotional scences. With it been about the pit closures in Yorkshire there is some pretty strong language. It's the classic Margrate Thatcher against the minors! Oh & by the way I live in an old mining village in yorkshire and belive me the pit closure really screwed things up! Overall the film is very griping & emotional. IT'S A MUST WATCH! P.s. Sorry for any bad spelling & no structure to my writing I did this all on my iPod.
March 16, 2013
The Yorkshire valleys are alive with the sound of music--Sentimental, tub-thumping tosh!!
½ January 16, 2013
Some outstanding brass band music spiced with a lot of pro-Labour Party, anti-Thatcher sentiment.
December 23, 2012
Wonderful, heartwarming true story about hope in the face of loss, with a great performance by Pete Postlethwaite and wonderful Brit cast.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ November 10, 2012
Mark Herman's earlier work is Little Voice and this one is another critics' darling. The same old feel-good genre which can hardly go wrong. Everyone needs affirmation that life is not as tough as we think and human spirit will pull us through. We will buy and most certainly I will, IF this kind of movies will spare us the big speeches, the standing ovation, the coming-of-age, twisted sad faces etc. In short, cut the schmaltzy crap.

I think Brassed Off get away with alot of bashing just because the characters speak with a heavy accent and the story's backdrop is a very idyllic small town.
½ September 30, 2012
Quaint little story about miners from a Northern England town losing their quarry but finding unity in their brass band. Apparently it's a true story, the film is completely accurate, and the band still plays today (and indeed provide the soundtrack). Although not the most engrossing story ever, it is heart warming in a way that grows on you with time.
August 29, 2012
Excellent Pete Postlethwaite.
½ August 27, 2012
Almost every British film has copied this format since. They're all shit but this is brilliant!