Brassed Off Reviews

• Apr 12, 2021

Fantastic film. The rendition of the Rodriguez concerto alone makes it worth seeing - Peter Poselthwaite's performance alone makes it with seeing.

• Jan 01, 2021

Without a doubt one of the finest movies to discover during the 2020 pandemic. Heard about it and when it was there on the shelf, I bought it just to see what it was like. A truly underrated, magnificent picture. Superbly written and directed, but the performances stand-out. Pete Postlewaite, Ewan McGregor, Tara Fitzgerald, Jim Carter and Stephen Tompkinson are outstanding!

• Dec 23, 2020

Holy crap this movie is really British. Just in the way they talk, their accents are really heavy. Wow, the actress that plays Gloria is really pretty. That concerto they played when Gloria got there was so haunting and dark yet beautiful. Some fo the jokes are kind of lame and really cheesy but then others are really clever and cheeky. It's interesting because the band is what's keeping Danny, the conductor, alive. If the band goes then Danny's health goes. The only way the band will stay is if the pit stays. This is kind of like a metaphor for society community and hope I guess. The band is kind of their escape from the dark reality that is the closing of the pit. This movie's got a lot of heart and it's filled with a lot of really sweet gestures. The character who plays Danny' son who's also the clown is one of the most sad depressing and sorry characters I've seen in a movie. Jeez, it's like he's a helpless fool. Holy shit! This is where Chumbawamba sampled the beginning phrase of ‘Tubthumping'. That's fucking brilliant. I thought it was really touching and inspiring how Danny started off as this oblivious and selfish ("ehh nothing's wrong, the only thing that matters is my music") kind of guy but then towards the end gives that amazingly heartfelt and gut wrenching speech. But see Danny had to go thorough all those "bad" experiences like having the heart attack going to the hospital and almost losing his son from suicide to realize what really matters. The people, the community and the ones who work their asses off to make sure the big wigs are sitting nice and pretty up there. I thought this movie was really good social commentary on working classes and how the government and their partner companies don't care about their people. Their people that do the hard work for them so that they can relax. I was surprised by how emotional this movie got me. I teared up a couple of times by how sincere and touching it was at times. Gritty and dark as well showing how little importance the working class is to the big wigs. I'd watch this movie again. I only wish that this movie was remastered or something to give it a better visual quality.

• Dec 09, 2020

Formulaic and poorly aged. It's hard to argue against the many thousands of people left behind due to Thatcher-era economics, but choosing to focus on coal is not going to win any hearts decades down the line when it is almost universally agreed upon that the shift was a necessity, both environmentally and commercially. Tompkinson's Phil is almost laughably increasingly disadvantaged, variously witnessing his trombone fall apart, marital problems, the repossession of virtually everything he owns, his wife leaving him, and finally attempting to hang himself from a crane in full clown costume after a tirade delivered to several children. There's a struggle for a conventional way of life that is ultimately overcome by pluckiness and community, etc., etc. There are no surprises and the film goes exactly where you think it will, just another of the slew of uplifting underdog films that characterized the '80s. But you should know, this one has trumpets (I'm sorry, euphoniums). (2/5)

• Sep 07, 2020

A family favorite for years

A family favorite for years

• May 09, 2020

Absolutely brilliant. If you can watch this without shedding a tear you bust have a heart of stone.

• May 02, 2020

Delightful and moving film, especially if you live among the folk and know the brass bands of the area concerned. I find it impossible to give it less than five stars.

• Oct 10, 2019

Found dvd on bus. Watched as nothing else to watch. Has been my number 1 film ever since.

• Sep 16, 2019

A film almost everyone will enjoy even if you're not into that particular genre. The brass music is made accessible and my mum always played us Rodrigo in the car when we were younger - this film provided a nice family joke about playing 'orange juice' (Aranjuez). Films that last in your mind are always the best; this did so on a number of levels.

• Aug 09, 2019

An excellent movie that manages to inspire hope despite the terrible circumstances in which its story unfolds.There is no populism here but rather a very realistic analysis of the terrible effects of the ultra right wing choices deliberately made by the Thatcher administration. That being said, the human interactions portrayed in the movie ensure that important messages are not hammered in. All that the film wants to say is infered amidst personnal stakes for a coal mine brass band and the the people gravitating it. Well directed and acted, this is one of those movies I watch again and again. Do not miss it! Oh yeah, great soundtrack too!