The Bridges of Madison County - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bridges of Madison County Reviews

August 5, 2016
I think the story is a bit boring and slow moving. I also don't like that it seems to condone infidelity. However, Meryl Streep is charming.
½ July 28, 2016
Movie that really gives you a different perspective on the perception of love . Thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the message it was purveying.
July 18, 2016
Besides some weak points that the script has, especially wasteful "present" sequences of the heroin's son and daughter, I think Eastwood's directing in this film is just stunning. There are some unforgettably beautiful scenes in the film - Meryl Streep in silhouette walking thru the bridge tunnel, Eastwood and Streep dancing in the dining room, separation in the rain, Streep watching the blinking tale light of Eastwood's car... As you can see, all of these moments are without a word, and it's marvelous. I love Eastwood's character, too. Streep's definitely super good, and sometimes even too good being the character in the film, while Eastwood is just Eastwood whatever he plays. This film proves how powerful movie can be in telling a fictional story in great director's hands.
July 11, 2016
Wonderfully engaging scrip. A level performances. Might prefer a tighter version.
July 3, 2016
Saw this on 03/7/16
The Bridges of Madison County has one of the most underappreciated performances from Clint Eastwood. This is one amongst the finest Eastwood performances, though the same cannot the said about the film. The film is lumbering, lethargic and the romance is at times so tedious that I felt it can only satsify the most ardent romantics. Meryl Streep also gives a good performance, in fact this is one of the very few starring roles of the actress that I've seen. To my surprise the film was really satisfying in the end with potent sentimentality, not maipulative melodrama.
March 10, 2016
I preferred the earlier Dirty Harry films.
January 19, 2016
I only watched about half .. Because of Eastwood and Streep ... But don't care for the story ...
January 9, 2016
Very interesting film to watch. Enjoyable Eastwood and Streep's chemistry is un deniable. There are some issues with sound quality throughout the film, especially in the voice over.
September 24, 2015
@jim Carter it's one of the bloody best movie
½ August 31, 2015
Very good Eastwood film. Meryl Streep really gives one of her all time best performances in this movie as it really is one of those performances that puts her front and center of the whole movie.
August 30, 2015
What makes "The Bridges of Madison County" so romantic is its pulsating desire, slow like honey and sultry summertime heat. Famously, the film is considered to be better than its source material - whereas Robert James Waller's novel of the same name is said to contain passages schmaltzier than your favorite Hallmark channel TV-movie, Clint Eastwood's 1995 adaptation converts syrup into lush longing. It is about two people who find a love rare and certain but choose not to go through with a relationship due to responsibility and circumstance; we feel their burning for one another ripple throughout our bodies, affecting us at every turn. Most romantic melodramas choose to go the happy ending/tragedy route; "The Bridges of Madison County" is such a successful foray into a genre because it places painful reality into a sublime mixture of cinematic tenderness.
Most are still familiar with the story twenty years after its introduction: it frames the four-day love affair between Italian housewife Francesca Johnson (Meryl Streep, who completely disappears into the role) and National Geographic photographer Robert Kincaid (Eastwood), who accidentally fall into each other's lives after Robert innocently stops at Francesca's house for directions to the nearby Bridges of Madison County. What begins as an exchange of manners turns into something more after she decides to follow him along on his photography excursion instead of politely moving on.
Four days is a short time for anyone to fall head over heels in love, but Francesca and Robert have an uncommon connection - it only takes a few late night talks for them to discover that they were made for each other. But, alas, she is happily married, with two teenage kids; her husband, a working man, is kind to her, fond of her company. Her children need her more than ever. But for Francesca, who moved from Italy to Iowa because of the union, there is something left to be desired - and Robert fulfills everything her spouse cannot. He is considerate of her emotions, aware of her hidden talents. He sees her as a remarkable woman rather than a dutiful housewife. The climactic sight of her clutching her husband's truck door, contemplating whether to jump out and run after Robert, is devastating - to stay is painful, but to leave would be a tidal wave of brutal catharsis.
The entire romance is told through flashback - as "The Bridges of Madison County" opens, the children of the now deceased Francesca are brought to her Iowan home to look over her will, discovering the affair after finding a trio of journals that chronicles those meaningful four days. This narrative device would be manipulative anywhere else, but in Eastwood's no-nonsense hands, it makes the story all the more poignant. Now adults with marital troubles of their own, Francesca's children are old enough to understand just how sacred romance is - and how much of a generous tragedy it was for their mother to give up the passion of a lifetime for them.
With Eastwood at the helm, "The Bridges of Madison County" teeters on the sappy, but, for the most part, remains a plausible tale of love for the ages. His use of a minimal soundtrack evokes the atmospheric, dripping nature of the erotic tension that vibrates between Robert and Francesca; his pauses to study the silent emotions of the leading characters gives us a chance to become them, to potentially see life through their eyes. Richard LaGravenese's script is considerate, thoughtful; he gives the central figures room to breathe, to consider every possible outcome. Waller's maudlin prose (not read by me) is completely washed away. LaGravenese's linguistic maneuvers are incredibly deliberate.
But while "The Bridges of Madison County" is a distinguished romance film, there is something too faraway, too dreamy for it to be anything besides a weepy tale of splendor in the grass. It feels so personal that it doesn't have much meaning for anyone other than Robert, Francesca, or Francesca's children. It doesn't seem real, rather sweepingly cinematic. It's a tragic fantasy. But it is prosperous when it comes to presenting us with genuine emotion, and Streep's performance is uniformly excellent. Perhaps I didn't attach to it as much as I would like to because I'm not the intended audience - but that hardly matters. Here is a romance so refreshingly honest one hardly has time to consider its bathos.
½ August 27, 2015
This was such a great classic romance movie. I had my doubts about whether or not I would enjoy this movie at first. The topic of infidelity was definitely off putting. But after watching this film I was touched (which I'm sure was the point). I have seen a few Meryl Streep movies, although none in which she was younger, but still it did not come as a surprise when she impressed me as an actress. Now I have heard nothing but good things about Clint Eastwood, and before this I had only seen one other movie with him. But I must say that I get it now. He was absolutely amazing, and the combination of him and Meryl Streep was electrifying. Worth seeing.
August 24, 2015
A beautiful story, a must see.
August 15, 2015
Streep at her finest. And Clint Eastwood is better than ever. They don't make em like they used to.
August 14, 2015
The Bridges of Madison County has terrific performances from Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep who steals the show, the scenery is beautiful as is the score, it has a nice epic scope to it and it is sometimes very smart, but the romance at the center of it is too unrealistic and of course incredibly cheesy and cliched. It is very well acted and superbly directed, but it's still too familiar and too sentimental to be enjoyed more.
½ July 23, 2015
what an actor performance
July 21, 2015
One of my favorites.
½ June 12, 2015
It was a little too soapy for me but Meryl Streep of course was great in this. It just felt like it belonged on Lifetime with its dim lighting, over sentimental score, and slow pace. The writing was good and Eastwood was good but overall it doesn't work for me
April 1, 2015
Great acting by the two stars. Well worth watching!
½ February 5, 2015
I love the 90s.For me it is the golden age. Nowadays I keep looking for 1:30 hr, 1:40 hr movies to save time. As if 20-40 minutes really matter . But these 2 hr + movies need time and rapt attention, which is hard to give these days.
There is a different way of telling the story. BOMC is slow , but it seems it doesn't care about the time. The story just unravels slowly , taking its sweet time.
BOMC is a love epic. You may hate the story at the beginning, but will come to terms with it in the end.
"The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but glad I had them"