Brothers Reviews

• Feb 06, 2016

BROTHERS - the Danish original by Ace-directoress Susanne Bier ( forget the US-remake), Brødre .... en film af Susanne Bier. +++ As always with me: no content information - no SPOILERs: the first movie I saw from probably the world's best female director Susanne Bier, was at that time a certain "After the Wedding" (ATW) from the year of 2006. Actually, the Anti-Cover with a blurred Mads M. in the local library was far from the blockbuster. Everything smelled like extreme Dogma-film, which are often very hard to watch. But this film was just brilliant. I would call him a dogma-light - and this kind of film, typically from Denmark, is exactly my cup of tea. And "Brothers" has similarities to ATW in style. The heart-rending and really sad story is told without any kitsch and totally moved me. All characters act completely credible and transparently and one suspects, that factors like fate and chance, might turn the constellations of relationships into a human tragedy. Just fantastic how the honest script and also the direction merge the gear wheels of the plot together!!! The camera is also extremely close and personal with the feelings of the characters - very often hands, lips and eyes in close-up. Simply breathtaking, I must confess .... But clearly: Screenplay - Anders Thomas Jensen and Director - Susanne Bier are a stellar constellation, enabling little Denmark to compete with the best of the best from the mighty United States. 5 years ago now, I became a huge fan of them both. The actors play all just wonderful and believable, so I imagined myself almost in a documentary - a greater compliment, I just cannot make. Again, Denmark delivers worldclass. Above all, this "Brødre - Brothers" so is far superior to the American remake of Jim Sheridan (who also is a good director) For a wider audience, this remake is just prone to too many compromises and softens the harsh reality of the sady-sad Story too much. Conclusion: to me - besides ATW - the strongest Susanne Bier film, even better than the also strong "Hævnen - in a Better World '(2010) and her first US film" Things We Lost in the Fire "(2007) starring Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro. Rating = 95% (MASTERPIECE) ###################################################################################95%

• Dec 09, 2015

Hard for me to evaluate this one, since I saw the remake first and it mostly takes up my memory. The remake seems to closely follow the original in this case. I'd say the original is right there with the remake, though in hindsight the remake wasn't necessary. I'm glad this is what got Susanne Bier's career going, though.

• Jul 04, 2015

Can't believe how good this movie is. The Danish version

Can't believe how good this movie is. The Danish version

• Jan 15, 2015

A good movie that shows personal repercussions of war. Its far from the perfect movie but it does have heart and good performances, lacking in the direction.

• Jul 24, 2014

well crafted and executed drama

well crafted and executed drama

• Jun 11, 2014

I wanted to rate this lower because of how dogshit ugly it is to look at, but the subtle, complex script and fine acting won me over in the end. It really is offensive to the eye though. It looks like a TV show. The scenes in Afghanistan are particularly unconvincing.

• Jan 13, 2013

Gripping family drama by Susanne Bier (In A Better World) that brilliantly portrays the shift of power between 2 brothers after one of them goes through an extraordinarily traumatic experience as a POW in Afghanistan. A delicately drawn and powerfully built film that juuuust steers itself away from melodrama and cliché and instead ends up as something much more genuine and earthy.

• Dec 13, 2012

An unflinching look at how the ghost of a war in the Middle East follows a loving family man and brother home and threatens to destroy the same people who want him to come home to in the first place. Heartbreaking and eerily still relevant at this time.

• May 29, 2012

Favorite Susanne Bier film

Favorite Susanne Bier film

• Apr 25, 2012

So much better than the recent hollywood remake..

So much better than the recent hollywood remake..