The Brothers Grimm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Brothers Grimm Reviews

November 20, 2016
Wow. So bad. I had been wanting to see this movie for a long time and I saw that it was available on HBO Now. I generally like Terry Gilliam movies, but I couldn't get through this one. About 40 minutes in, I just fast forwarded it to the very end and pretty much skipped through all of it. Terrible
½ October 23, 2016
this film is much greater than many other movies I saw last 10 years. Ok, it's not perfect, it's a little bit messi and the ending suck. but hey, it can't be worth of all fake cendrillon, little red hood and all those sucking christmas movies potter's like we've got. Mr Gilliam, you deserve all our respect sir, please never stop making movies.
½ September 24, 2016
If you look into this film's production history, this mess makes a lot of sense- it's essentially Gilliam bound and gagged by Hollywood executives, resulting in a movie no side wanted. Hence, it is a mostly woodenly acted, non-sensical pile of crap with Gilliam's visual cherry on top when the budget allows it.
½ August 14, 2016
A strange watch, indeed. I don't mind its dark quirkiness, but some of these FX are just bad and this story.... a desperate mash-up does not a coherent story make.
May 15, 2016
great production design, costume, and makeup. acting worked extremely well. the story though, was jumbked, like the sequel to super hero movie with too many villains... but it was fun to watch
½ February 29, 2016
Good visual effects, but the movie is poorly written and overall just bored me to death.
February 21, 2016
Once again Gilliam demonstrates imagination to spare his weaving of fairy tales into one mythology, the way he brings in their chroniclers for in-jokes and involvement in their own stories is similar to what Shakespeare in Love does for the bard and his works. Unfortunately, like much of the director's visions, the imagination and story are let down by an inability to emotionally grip the viewer, there is simply nothing to get a handle on enough to care about very strongly.
February 9, 2016
One which used to be a childhood favorite proved after a current rewatch how cheesilly produced it was. This film had a lot of potential. Even in it's time. - I sadly agree with other producers, it seemed it was put together last minute to make easy-money. - I highly despised the repetitive thick French accents.
- With the budget this film had, it couldn't work. This project should have been scrapped a long time ago.
- The acting (aside from Matt & Heath) was absolutely horrible. If I liked this movie for anything. It would be for the two brother's performances overall.
- Dubbing a film "The Brother's Grimm" immediately puts it in big shoes to fills. To fit, no pun intended, but to fit that shoe, you must go beyond those expectations or at least meet them. This film is purely poor written fiction that honestly has no tie to the actual Grimm bothers.
- If the Brother's were to see themselves presented as scammers with ignorance, I'm most definitely sure they would be appalled with offense. I'm sure they would burn their collection to spare this film from ever being produced.
January 26, 2016
Had Gilliam made Alice in Wonderland and Burton made The Brothers Grimm, everything would be right with the world.
½ January 7, 2016
Damon and Ledger are charming in this visually beautiful fable which suffers from an overblown final act.
½ December 11, 2015
It's all fun with the appealing pair and the comical nature when facing the "source" of their fairy tales, to consider this average at a B movie rate. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 15, 2015
Atmospheric and gritty with some good performances but not as memorable as one of the brothers fine fairytales.
½ August 12, 2015
The movie feels thoroughly like a project Gilliam did halfheartedly, just to stay in the game.
½ July 22, 2015
For a movie about making stories come to life it feels terribly artificial and unconvincing. Brazil better be a masterpiece because from what I've seen so far Gilliam's directing style is mostly asphyxiating.
½ July 2, 2015
It actually wasn't that bad. It had this old school fantasy vibe to it. And I had fun with it.
June 13, 2015
"I made that armour! It's not magic; it's just shiny."
½ June 12, 2015
Disappointing for a Terry Gilliam film, like loads of others are doing now, this is a mixture of different fairytales rolled into one film, which makes it a bit of a mess to be honest. Matt Damons English accent is impressive though.
½ May 25, 2015
Although the Brothers Grimm is too silly at times, it is at times a playful and entertaining rendition of household fairytales.
½ May 14, 2015
Not as bad as most make it out to be. It's definitely got it's visuals going on for it. Not a whole lot else though.
½ May 9, 2015
Typical Gilliam imagery, fantastical and imaginative, though the same cannot be said for the narrative. Entertaining yet confounding film.