Brute Force Reviews

• Jan 27, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Jan 11, 2019

Great cinematography and the closing action scene is excellently staged by director Jules Dassin. But some of Richard Brooks' script is brutishly corny and forced. (Yeah, I know.) Nonetheless, despite its flaws, worthy of all prison noir film fans.

• Mar 14, 2018

There isn't much more ithat gives me pleasure in the movie world then to see for first time an old black and white movie, prison movie at that. This is a young Burt Lancaster (1947) as the "heor" of the movie with Hume Cronyn as the evil prison guard. (This ithe reason I still subscribe to Netflix DVD service LOL!)

• Aug 08, 2017

Brute Force is a film about the lives of inmates in a treacherous prison. Things are particularly bad because the captain of the guards is a cruel man who tortures the inmates and turns them against one another. It is a strong story that shows all the ins-and-outs of the prison. I liked seeing behind the doors of the warden's office, inside the cells as the prisoners make plans, and more. It gives the audience the great feeling of knowing everything and waiting for the characters to catch up. I was surprised how endearing they made some of the prisoners even though they were clearly not good people and willing to do terrible things. I didn't even need the flashbacks of their lost loves for me to care about these guys (but that didn't hurt.) Burt Lancaster was great in the lead, and Hume Cronyn was an amazing antagonist. My other favorite performance came from Art Smith who provides the emotional center of the film. This is simply an all-around brilliant cast. There was something that bugged me about Brute Force, though, and it hit me very early and wouldn't go away. It's not a fault of the film, either. Because I know about the Hays Code, I know that there's no chance the characters I sympathize with will succeed. By law they cannot "win" in the end and must be punished for being criminals. It's like having a built-in spoiler before you even start watching. Otherwise I quite liked this film and how the story was handled, I just wish there was a chance things could have turned out differently.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 10, 2017

This early Burt Lancaster piece is an underrated classic. I don't understand the G rating but the strong performances make it a fantastic tour de force.

• Jul 14, 2016

Well this was fucking bleak. Well shot, but damn, its a kick in the teeth without much meat on its bones to make the unhappy ending worth the journey.

• Jun 13, 2016

This is a hard-hitting prison drama from Jules Dassin("Rififi") and starring Burt Lancaster and Hume Cronyn. This 1947 film is an interesting entry in the prison film genre, it was a lot darker and violent than I expected, but the excellent acting and direction elevate it beyond being simply a genre pic. Definitely worth checking out in my opinion!

• Mar 08, 2016

Interesting prison drama. Joe Collins (played by Burt Lancaster) is a prisoner in Westgate Penitentiary. The senior officer at the prison is Captain Munsey (Hume Cronyn), a power-mad, manipulative sadist. Collins is rebellious and constantly in trouble with the prison guards. He formulates a plan to escape but a confrontation with Captain Munsey is inevitable... An interesting look at prison life, and how people act when they have absolute power. The central plot was well thought out and made for a good story. However, the stories of how all the main prisoner-characters got there sometimes seemed unnecessary and felt like padding. Solid work by Burt Lancaster and Hume Cronyn in the lead roles. Good supporting performances too.

• Jan 30, 2016

Probably the worst prison film I've ever seen. It's definitely showing its age. A boring movie that I found little interest in. (First and only viewing - 6/3/2016)

• Sep 15, 2015

We always get what's coming to us. Captain Munsey takes a lot of pride in his job as manager of the most organized and well guarded prison; however, he reigns as he sees fit, which isn't always "by the book." Joe Collins has a plan to escape and obtain revenge on the ruthless captain in the process. "Why do you want to destroy instead of build?" Jules Dassin, director of The Naked City, Topkapi, Never on Sunday, Rififi, Circle of Two, He Who Must Die, Night and the City, and Young Ideas, delivers Brute Force. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward but contains some excellent and well written characters. The acting is first rate and the cast includes Burt Lancaster, Hume Cronyn, Charles Bickford, Ann Blyth, and Yvonne De Carlo. "Now you know what happened to Rin Tin Tin." I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and thought it sounded interesting and DVR'd it. This was pretty good. Lancaster and his dialogue were compelling and well written. The film is fairly predictable, but the delivery is excellent. I recommend seeing this film once. "Nothing is okay. Nothing was and it never will be." Grade: B