Bull Durham Reviews

• 58m ago

A close to flawless romcom. A part of pop culture. I quote this movie all the time. If you like sports, you must see it. If you don't care about sports, you'll still love it.

• Jun 23, 2019

A awesome sports comedy that actually made me sort-of intrested in baseball. Kevin and Tim are a acting duo to be reckoned with

• Jun 17, 2019

Probably one of the best Kevin Costner films ever made. Great story with plenty of laughs and small town baseball for everyone.

• Mar 29, 2019

A rarity in its genre, "Bull Durham" combines sports, comedy, and romance to capture the reality, the lingo, and the humorous side of minor league baseball, but the love triangle between its three leads becomes a tad obnoxious.

• Mar 14, 2019

i thought this was a pretty good baseball movie

i thought this was a pretty good baseball movie

• Feb 10, 2019

Baseball as philosophy. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains. Contains Kevin Costner's best speech ever, and why is it Kevin Costner can only act reliably in sports movies, anyway?

• Feb 08, 2019

Baseball lifers will get -- and probably already have gotten -- a kick out of the many specific truisms littered throughout this light, yet refreshingly sardonic romp through minor league baseball. As a fan of the sport myself, I found it to be an ultimately rewarding experience. As a fan of filmmaking, however, I found it to be slightly less so. The dialogue is supremely sharp and the authenticity behind the story is evident, but I just couldn't nail down these characters' motivations, attitudes, and traits. I suppose that helps in that I couldn't necessarily tell what was going to happen next. But I also ended feeling as though I didn't really ever know any of these people. And my emotional investment in them took a subsequent hit as well. An enjoyable movie overall, but a fleeting experience as well, I fear.

• Jul 02, 2018

Strengths: Kevin Costner (Crash Davis) is the king of baseball movies. From "Field of Dreams" to "For the Love of The Game" and especially here, he's fantastic. As Crash, he's charismatic and captivating. You feel for the guy who has always been really good, but not quite good enough to make it to the big leagues. He has great on-screen chemistry with both Tim Robbins (Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh) and Susan Sarandon (Annie Savoy) really drive the film. It's interesting to see both Annie and Crash help Nuke in their own, very different ways, all while falling for each other. It also manages to work well for non-baseball fans, while also respecting the sport enough to not dumb things down. It's a hard balancing act that they nail. Speaking of balance, there's also a great blend of comedy, drama, and romance, with none being over or under done. It has a little bit of everything. Weaknesses: As great as Sarandon does in her role, the character doesn't work that well. She's obsessed with baseball and tries to find the next player to sleep with and mentor. It's a strange motive and one that never really seems to get a true meaning. Why must those things go hand in hand? Her character's voiceovers don't add anything to the film either. There's also a sense of unrealistic moments, as Nuke gets called up to the Majors despite clearly not being ready to do so. Overall: Sports movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, as I love most of them. This is one of the best ones ever. It's filled with classic lines, funny moments, drama, and hints of romance, while also providing something for the sports fans.

• Jun 16, 2018

I've never been a big Kevin Costner fan but after watching this, I've become a believer.

• Feb 26, 2018

I'm not even a fan of baseball, and I still thought this was a great sports movie. Perfectly captures the atmosphere of a small town minor league team and the fans that surround it. Kevin Costner gives a great performance as the seasoned veteran who is brought in to help the hot shot up and comer.