Café Society Reviews

• Sep 14, 2019

Woody Allen creates a cute and sensitive story, acted very well from the performers while under their voices plays the Allen's beloved 30's jazz. In my opinion, also, this is one of the best movie of Allen speaking about cinematography.

• May 05, 2019

Un retrato del amor no correspondido ambientado en la epoca dorada de Hollywood es el relato esteticamente impecable que Woody Allen crea en una ola de violencia, odio y rencor. Una comedia ligera cargada de actuaciones memorables y personajes resaltantes.

• May 01, 2019

Pleasant and easy to watch. . . and easily forgotten afterwards. One of the less important Woody Allen films

• Apr 13, 2019

There are some awkward bumps but the overall result remains satisfying under Woody Allen's classy style for an exquisite 50s period flick comparing two major metropoles at opposites with a charming cast to paint the pictures. (B+) (Full review TBD)

• Apr 01, 2019

A truly impressive latter years Woody Allen movie. Yes it treads on familiar ground at times, but the characters, dialogue and settings are all exquisite. A beautiful dream.

• Mar 17, 2019

painfully forgettable in every scene. I really like Jesse eisenberg in everything he does pretty much but its obvious its been over directed and Jesse appears stiff and painfully aware of himself and it really distracts from the film. the casting is just average most of the roles are just replaceable with anyone. Its stale and dated in a bad way. Allen had a chance to really do something but basically he made a sub standard film. Set the bar higher or stop making films.

• Feb 17, 2019

Very elegant, smooth and poignant like a classic jazz tune!

Very elegant, smooth and poignant like a classic jazz tune!

• Dec 28, 2018

It felt sooo fake! I watched it till the end, because the plot was interesting, but unfortunately I never got empathy for the characters, since the lines were just very too much - so cringe and fake that even Jessie Eisenberg and Steve Carrell and all of the other famous actors (who I think are great in other movies) couldn't possibly say them in a believable way. I'm so disappointed right now.

• Dec 27, 2018

I'm more surprised than anyone I liked this amazing movie. Using boxxy software I'll watch these movies with more pleasure!

• Nov 30, 2018

Finding this movie at the library was a more efficient path to a bout of ï¿ 1/2binge-watchingï¿ 1/2? than a TV show streaming online. I had no expectations of greatness, never sure if Iï¿ 1/2(TM)ll like Woody Allen productions. While the first half of the film does a workman-like setup of a romantic ï¿ 1/2cliff-hangarï¿ 1/2? and an amazing painting of period appropriate 30s Hollywood glamour, I was shaking my head at the casting and obvious dramatic tools used to create tension. Against a backdrop of ï¿ 1/2pastelï¿ 1/2? Hollywood, and sun-drenched hills, theaters, automobiles, and mansions; the passionate romantic triangle, the ironic intellectual idealism of the 30s, the criminal pressure of organized crime, the laid back but rigid class warfare of the entertainment business in L.A., the nervous moral structure of Jewish-American life, the anxiety of youth versus the relaxation of fame, power, and money: all of these provide fulcrum for each conflict which is laid out for the viewer as if it were a (ï¿ 1/2weeklyï¿ 1/2?) serial television drama I was watching all in one sitting. The young ï¿ 1/2loversï¿ 1/2? as a couple held little appeal to me, and Steve Carroll plays a realistic but uncomfortable role as the central alpha-male running a successful talent agency. Pacing is frenetic and Woody Allen seems to have included too many of his actor friends who needed work. But then in the middle of the movie Bobby Dorfman goes back to Manhattan and the Cafï¿ 1/2 (C) Society begins! Itï¿ 1/2(TM)s like the second movie starts, and what happens next is Shakespearean and right out of the Woody Allen ï¿ 1/2Crimes & Misdemeanorsï¿ 1/2? playbook: everything goes upside down and the very essence of life is called into question, even what happens when we pray. ï¿ 1/2Nit kain entfer iz oich an entfer,ï¿ 1/2? Bobbyï¿ 1/2(TM)s plaintive aunt says at the penultimate discussion of the Jewish idea of God versus Christianityï¿ 1/2(TM)s Jesus. (ï¿ 1/2No answer is also an answer.ï¿ 1/2?) That is all I can say at this point without posting a SA, which I donï¿ 1/2(TM)t like to do. Itï¿ 1/2(TM)s a well-made film, and Iï¿ 1/2(TM)m glad I saw it, but it goes far deeper than that. Too bad that the W/Dï¿ 1/2(TM)s personal struggles distracted critics from this excellent morality tale. 3.5 stars - ***+