Captain Marvel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Captain Marvel Reviews

½ March 25, 2019
.Captain Marvel is a decent movie. It has funny parts and action packed parts, but it felt like there was alot crammed in. I would rate it 75%
½ March 25, 2019
This is the worst movie in the MCU. Brie Larson has no acting ability, Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury was ruined with ridiculous sentiment and the story itself was terrible, at best. The only saving grace (if there is any) is Ben Mendelsohn and Jude Law's characters. Outstanding performances. How she got her powers, her "quirky" one liners and pretty much any scene where Larson leads is just awful. My girlfriend fell asleep and I fell enraged. No, real, action until the very end. Her overpowered destruction was incredibly lackluster. A terrible movie that doesn't belong in the MCU
March 25, 2019
Very tedious and a hard to focus on film. Cat was better than the main character.
March 25, 2019
Captain Marvel is one of the best movies I‚(TM)ve ever seen. Carol Danvers (CM) is both hilarious and strong. The plot was amazing. As a 14 year old girl, it feels amazing to see a female led movie in the MCU. I‚(TM)ve been a huge fan of Marvel for a while now.
March 25, 2019
Really good addition to the MCU :) Good storyline, added lots of cool background to the other films! Excited for more of Carol!
March 25, 2019
.it simply was the worst movie i have seen in years!
½ March 25, 2019
My faith in the QC apparatus at Marvel Studios has been shaken, if not shattered. The story lacks the heart of previous installments and the plot points too often make little sense. Continuity has also been turned on its head in many key places throughout. In short, this film is a mess. Anyone leaving a positive review is much more forgiving than I think this film deserves. A cosmic-level misfire that makes Thor: Dark World look better now by comparison.
½ March 25, 2019
This probably could have been a decent movie if the writing wasn't so lazy, the acting so poor and the story more focused. Brie Larson's acting is absolutely flat in this movie. I can't tell if she can't act, or if this was what she was told to do, but either way it didn't work. The relationship between Marvel and Fury is just weird, she talks to him as a teacher to a child. Like the Last Jedi, the goal seems more to subvert audience expectations than to tell a good story, and like the Last Jedi it is a terrible movie as a result. BTW, I've been trying for a week to get a review to stick, but RT keeps removing.
½ March 25, 2019
As a diehard Marvel fan, I'm pretty shocked that I'm writing a one star review. But I believe that I have more than enough reasons to justify this

As a diehard Marvel fan, I take no pleasure in giving this movie a one star rating, but sadly the movie gave me plenty of reason to. I'll only list a few in this review.

Captain Marvel has most often been described as mediocre, but I think even that is being generous. This movie is below average, which is a rarity for Marvel movies.

This movie fails to develop anything close to an interesting origin story. Carol gets her powers by complete accident and frankly, why this accident gave her powers instead of killing her is not even explained. It just happened. Imagine a Captain American origin story where he accidentally receives the super soldier serum and for reasons that are totally outside of his understanding, is now a superhero. He did not earn it or go through any significant trials. He is simply now a superhero.

She is so absurdly overpowered that the most accurate comparison I can think of is that of Superman, except that Captain Marvel has no equivalent to kryptonite (at least that I'm aware of).

Captain Marvel introduces several plot holes and inconsistencies within the broader MCU timeline and even manages to slightly downgrade other MCU movies such as The Winter Soldier due to plot implications it has for that movie.

The origin of Nick Fury's eyepatch was not only underwhelming, it was absurd. It felt like a massive middle finger to the audience and any Nick Fury fans out there who care about the character and were hoping for a more compelling backstory to one of his most famous attributes.

Brie's acting was, simply put, not good. It felt uninspired, bored and lacked any sense of emotion. I was actively looking for opportunities to latch on to her character and care about her, but none came. I'm not sure what Kevin Feige was thinking in introducing this character into the MCU into Endgame. The likes of Steve, Bruce, Natasha and Tony deserve better.
March 25, 2019
Brie Larson killed it. Samuel L. Jackson killed it. Goose killed it!
½ March 25, 2019
An average film riddled by poor writing, shoddy editing, lackluster action, and dull humor. "Captain Marvel" is a bland, boring product that feels rushed in the scrip department despite spending half a decade in development. It doesn't help the main star is just as poorly placed as this story is withing the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a whole.
½ March 25, 2019
ItÔŅ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)s not the worst movie I have seen. But it is may be a mediocre movie, that seems to use its privileged position amongst the MCU to garner audience interest. I think people already know about the so so digital rejuvenation and the flat expressionless main character without arc. Secondary characters are better but thatÔŅ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)s not saying much. Acting is not bad. I still dislike how Fury lost his eye, now heÔŅ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)s a joke. Stan LeeÔŅ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)s tribute was nice but a very mediocre movie overall
½ March 25, 2019
Captain Marvel was a highly entertaining movie and was one of the first Marvel movies I have been excited about in a long time (with the exception of Black Panther). Capt. Marvel is a female character we haven‚(TM)t seen from Marvel. She is stoic, tough, and fiercely independent (whereas Black Widow is sympathetic and a team-player). Not every woman is emotional/kind/sweet, and throughout the movie you learn why Capt. Marvel is who she is (not remembering her human heritage and being conditioned to withhold emotion probably played a role, for one). That said, such a female personality is not as palatable to male audiences (who have criticized her lack of ‚humanity‚? ‚" HELLO SHE SPENT THE LAST SIZ YEARS BASICALLY LIVING WITH UNEMOTIONAL KLINGONS AND DOESN‚(TM)T REMEMBER BEING HUMAN) as say, sweet Wonder Woman who falls in love with her male co-lead, and even less palatable when said ‚emotionless‚? woman is portrayed to be kicking or saving men‚(TM)s butts left and right. Personally, I applaud the portrayal of a non-traditional female personality as well as these feminist aspects of the film:
1) Lack of a love interest ‚" Capt. Marvel does not swoon over a male co-star, nor does she need one to help/save her. She is enough on her own, a positive lesson for girls. Obviously, I don‚(TM)t mean movies where the female lead falls for the male lead are evil, just that it‚(TM)s nice to see some versions where the female lead is sufficient on her own to carry the story.
2) Her suit is full-coverage and functional- Though I loved Wonder Woman, I thought her armor was classic, but grievously outdated (she fights in a STRAPLESS MINIDRESS for gosh sake, it‚(TM)s simply impractical and doesn‚(TM)t make sense for such a strong character). In contrast, Capt. Marvel‚(TM)s suit is practical (don‚(TM)t have to worry about a nip slip or panty flash), functional (doubles as a space suit!) but still maintains sex appeal (I‚(TM)m not saying female superheroes should be unattractive and wear a potato sack, just that their clothes should make sense for fight scenes and such).
Overall Capt. Marvel was a great movie from an entertainment aspect, and also a step forward for female-lead super hero movies. I will definitely be watching it again.
½ March 25, 2019
Worst Marvel movie to date. Ill start by the lead character she does a terrible job portraying a super hero I really dislike her negative demeanor. Second off why change how Nick Fury lost his eye really messes with the fan perceptions of whats canon and whats not. Wouldnt recommend to watch to anyone.
½ March 25, 2019
With a plot that certainly doesn't unfold in the order you'd expect, with several bursts of clever direction, and plenty of light humor and an impressively de-aged Samuel L. Jackson, this MCU origin story does its job by setting up some key elements needed for the bigger team efforts, but doesn't have much of a heart due to its constantly serious/sassy protagonist almost never giving an inch.
March 25, 2019
Your usual Marvel fair, except this one lacks structure, and humor, and seems determined to insult the audience ... 1 star for the SLJ appearance.
March 25, 2019
Really enjoyed the movie, solid entry from Brie Larson and great supporting cast. Movie is not what I was expecting from the trailers. Would definitely see again.
Lots of negative audience reviews, fine if you didn't enjoy it, as enjoyment is subjective. But I think there is a lot of unwarranted outrage about this film which is going to be at least partly responsible for a proportion of the negative reviews.
Also, for those saying their negative reviews were deleted, just saying - my 4 star review was deleted too. Make of that what you will
½ March 25, 2019
Saw this movie two days after it was released and Shazam for an early screening. Hands down, Shazam beats this film.
½ March 25, 2019
Verry verry bad movie. No marvel before was more bad !!
March 25, 2019
I don't understand all the mess around the scores and Brie Larson as the protagonist, considering that this was a good origin story for the MCU, it was fun, entertaining and evaded some annoying clich√ (C)s found in other female lead movies.