Captain Phillips - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Captain Phillips Reviews

½ January 19, 2017
I really didnt like the too close shaky camera work-i hate when they do that in movies. However, tom hanks is always a good actor and as the lead he doesnt disappoint. The story was intense and believably told although u dont get a whole lot of background info. So its mostly just the capture that you watch. I think the US military did a great job removing Phillips safely. altho the first responders definitely screwed up by not listening to him from the beginning when he said we have pirates and the emergency line being busy. I remember when this happened in 2009 as a news story that we kinda joked about pirates being a thing again, but it is really terrifying and just like any terrorist hostage situation. What was most interesting perhaps is how the crew esp Captain tried to stop the pirates and whether that was smart or more dangerous. I think the whole hostage situation couldve been avoided if the ukmto had taken the captain serious or the emergency line had actually worked the first time they were under attack.
January 14, 2017
One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
½ January 12, 2017
Very well done. This movie holds your attention with its cinematography, amazing acting , and suspenseful directing. unfortunately it is a true story so you know that Captain Phillips is really in no real Danger through the whole movie, but the movie itself was amazing.
January 11, 2017
Tense and knowing that this is based on a true story makes it even more so. The performances are excellent in this movie.
January 10, 2017
What a good film, great t see Tom on top form.
½ January 5, 2017
A well-directed, true-story film. The story manages to show the humanity of both sides regardless who are at fault, and the ability of the directors (and cast) to deliver intense action performance is a job well done.
January 4, 2017
I simply can't give this movie anything less than 5 stars. Finally Paul Greengrass puts his kinetic style of handheld camera work to perfect use. Whereas his constantly moving, shakey cam technique has tended to grate on me alot in the Bourne movies, there's a real maturity and thoughtful use of it here.

The movie is gripping from start to finish, the acting is always sincere and believable from the whole cast and there's not a single moment in the movie where your mind is allowed to wander off to think about anything else. Once the action moves to the lifeboat things do get quite claustrophobic after while but nevertheless the tension never lets up despite the length of the film. Just wow.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 2, 2017
Although people needed to actually 'hollywood' this film therefore not giving a vivid representation of reality, I can't say that this film sucks because it's really good. These are the kind of films I enjoy because of how gruesome and intense it is. You can feel the claustrophobic atmosphere in this film and it stays there for a really long time. The only problem I have would be that it mainly focuses on keeping Captain Phillips hostage and never really does anything else, given that this is based on a true story however, what can you work with? They already had to exaggerate enough. For what it is, Captain Phillips will leave you feeling apprehensive and frantic all the way, and I have to give special credit to Tom Hanks who delivers such a defying performance at the end.
December 31, 2016
Amazing acting by Tom Hanks. Amazing film!!
½ December 28, 2016
Decent Somali pirate film made by a Hollywood and overacted by Mono actor Tom Hanks.
½ December 26, 2016
???? ????? ???? ??? ??????
?????? ??????? ??????
December 17, 2016
Added this movie to one of my favorite hostage movie.
Recommended.
December 9, 2016
Captain Phillips (Paul Greengrass): A dizzying, chaotic cat-and-mouse thriller that doesn't let up. Greengrass balances high-octane action with the human drama. Tom Hanks' great range at full display, especially at the highly charged climax.
December 3, 2016
very great flick as based on a true story of the most highest robbery amount of time in ocean waters. sad a bit in the end, but to know about it is just scary as if you was there, even that this was a great movie I just wanted to watch.
November 27, 2016
Tom Hanks in fine form and the acting by the Somali crew was also on point. Builds the tension well and the story remains interesting throughout even though we all know how everything is going to pan out from the outset.
November 26, 2016
Tom Hanks, one of my favorite actors. This movie looks like it may have some potential.
November 25, 2016
Very good. Tom Hanks is always fantastic.
November 25, 2016
It's a pulse-pounding, riveting, and highly engaging modern account of a true event that moves past the action into a reflection on the tensions between the third world country and those of the first world.
½ November 19, 2016
Watching a film about a cargo ship captain being kidnaped is depressing enough, but the good acting makes it even harder to bare. I want this to be over just as much as Tom Hanks does. This film has not served it's purpose until each and every cargo ship is packing heat from now on.