Caramel Reviews

• Aug 10, 2020

Caramel feels more aimed at a female audience than a general one as it focuses on the struggles of five different women, each at a different stage in her life. It is more about women's struggles than universal ones, though that is not a criticism, as there is room for movies like this. I only mention this as I recognize I might not have been in the target audience. In Caramel, Nadine Labaki proves the range of her talents as she directs with a keen eye for composition and plays a somewhat naive character who I imagine is not much like the actress/director. The movie unfolds slowly and we gradually get to know the characters and understand their motives, their interweaving relationships, coming to feel empathy for each of them.

• May 27, 2019

5/27/2019 Nadine Labaki's ode to contemporary women in Lebanon is both triumphant yet bittersweet. The beauty salon where our female protagonists spend most of their days served as the focal venue of each of their life struggles.

• Apr 08, 2019

After watching the marvelous "Capernaum" I wanted to know more about directress / actress Nadine Labaki so here I am, "Caramel" is a completely different film but just as charming. It's a cultural study submerged in lovable characters, touches of drama and comedy and some incontestable beauty. Women that are not afraid to be women, to reach their empowerment. Lovely.

• Jul 29, 2017

Excellent film! It shows that some problems are simply universal. The women in this film could be in one of many countries dealing with the same issues & trying to find solutions. Nadine Labaki did a brilliant job of showing the normal & mundane in Lebanon, which to most of us is a war torn country. I count this among my favorite films of all time.

• Jul 03, 2017

There is a sweet charm there (it's "Caramel" after all) but it feels too unrealistic at the same time.

• Sep 27, 2016

A sweet movie that revolves around the hopes and fears of five quite different yet similar women. I found the stories and interactions to be realistic and heart warming as well as sometimes heart breaking. However I think the fact that five women's situations are being explored means that we never quite get to know any of the characters well enough to feel a special affinity with them. Overall an enjoyable film.

• Apr 19, 2015

A delightful story, well told and beautifully photographed. Whilst the stories focus on what might be called the traditional areas of women's interest (love, marriage, familial duty) they are neither cloying nor trite. There are no grand revelations but it is a heart warming film created skilfully.

• May 05, 2014

This is such a great movie for women (and for men to understand women, too) to enjoy and to think for themselves. These five women illustrated in this film sort of represent different types. Layale (portrayed by Nadine Labaki, the director herself) has an affair with a married man, who never appears in the movie. She's so in love with him that she'd spend hours preparing a romantic meal for him (due to her identity, she can't find a hotel room for this: their religion has huge influence on marriages/lives especially to women there in Lebanon) but he never shows up. All she gets in a voice mail saying that he can't leave his wife for her. (Bloody hell, I see some of me in her, the kind of romantic and dedicated ego). Of course, she's saddened but a beauty like her never lacks of escorts. A charming and kind-hearted police officer has been wanting to ask her out.

• Mar 24, 2014

A simple-but-charming movie about the lives of five related Lebanese women in dealing with their love lives. The cast, the cinematography, the score, all together uplifting Nadine Labaki's CARAMEL from another chick flick drama into a movie you will never forget.

Letitia L Super Reviewer
    Mar 18, 2014

Despite the unrealistically attractive cast, perhaps excessive oestrogen and its deliberate angling to an international audience - I thoroughly enjoyed this film! Doesn't hurt that I watched it with two girlfriends in our room in a monastery in Bsharre, northern Lebanon. Nadine Labaki executes her multiple love stories with wryly humorous dialogue and surprising sensitivity and gently challenges the viewer with a light twist on familiar tropes. I sorely needed this contemporary view to break my stereotypes of Arab countries, and along the way found it an interesting critique of the lack of private spaces for young women in Lebanon. And Joanna Moukarzel has some pipes on her! Bottom line: If you want to watch a film about Lebanon that doesn't involve war, "Caramel" is a moving, laugh-out-loud funny comedy with plenty of eye candy.