The Care Bears Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Care Bears Movie Reviews

November 2, 2016
Heh, why did I try to watch this again for the first time in two decades!? Of course I did! I can't believe that Disney lost to this at the box office back in the day! One of the only positives? The villian was scary, and still is till this day, so I'll give it credit for that.
March 27, 2016
Yeah it's a pretty dumb movie, but it's a film for very very little kids, and I don't think theres anything bad in this film for that kind of audience.
September 24, 2015
I love this movie. <3
September 25, 2014
Very inspiring movie, perfect for family movies nights
August 21, 2014
The Care bears movie
½ June 30, 2014
Everyone needs friends.

An orphaned brother and sister have lost hope in the theory of friendship and kindness in mankind. The Care Bears observe their feelings from the clouds and come down to talk to the siblings about their feelings. Meanwhile, another orphan finds a book of magic that could kill everyone on Earth. Can the Care Bears and orphans work together to stop the boy and his evil magic?

"It's amazing what you can do when you really put your heart to it."

Arna Selznick, director of Back to School with Franklin and Strawberry Shortcake and the Baby without a Name, delivers The Care Bear Movie. The storyline for this picture is fairly cheesy, straightforward, and mediocre. The animation is classic 80s style (think He-Man, GI Joe, and Thundertcats). The voices are appropriate for the characters and I was always glad they worked the Care Bear cousins into the movie.

"Our only hope is the Care Bear stare!"

I came across this while flicking through the children's section of Netflix. I watched this with my daughter and she loved it as much as I did as a kid. I actually watched this with my mom when I was about 5 or 6 with my best friend at the time Kelly Dow at her grandmother's house. This is one of those films you love as a kid and grow-up and think, "wow, super cheesy." Overall, this is a movie your children will love but you'll likely never feel compelled enough to purchase.

"The Care Bear stare didn't work."

Grade: C
June 23, 2014
When I was younger I used to love this movie...and I still admit that it is great for young kids. However, to be an adult and having to rewatch it again...it loses some of the magic.
½ March 6, 2014
Not only does it exclude the the young at hear, but most of youth in general. Only kids around the age of 6 will find something to enjoy in this overly simply animated film.
½ July 25, 2013
Cheerful songs by Carole King and Paul Sebastien and the pleasant voice of Mickey Rooney as the narrator brings some merit to this animated tale about the titular characters who try to bring goodness to disillusioned children. Even so, THE CARE BEARS MOVIE is more for younger aged children, for the themes presented therein are often saccharine and quite young. It's not an example of great animation either, produced rather quickly in eight months time, resulting in a look that seems like, well, marginally better Saturday morning cartoon television animation. The characters aren't all that genuine either, and with the exception of Grumpy Bear (arguably the most interesting), the other bears don't really stand out. The positive messages of friendships and caring are valuable, to be sure, but there are better examples of animation promoting similar messages. Aside from King, Sebastien, and Rooney's contributions, THE CARE BEARS MOVIE gets points for the occasional delve into spooky territory. The Spirit of Magic (with a sepulchral voice supplied by Jackie Burroughs), although cardboard cut, makes a solid, manipulative villainess, and the spell casting scenes and the climax get points for edginess. The plight of the unfortunate Nicholas, who gets waylaid by said spirit, is also more interesting than that of siblings Kim and Jason. OK entertainment for kids, but kids only. At least this is superior to the CGI series of today.
March 24, 2013
I have seen this many times over the years, and while it was probably nothing more than a big advertisement for the Care Cousins, it's a really great animated film.

The animation hasn't held up very well over the years, but the songs are still just as catchy. Some great voice work too.

Despite being a head in a book, the villain can be quite intimidating at times.

And while I think the Bears alone would be fun, the Cousins really do make the film. Since they are all different animals, it gives them more personality.
March 11, 2013
I was a huge Care Bears fan when I was little, but as I look back on it now... I can't imagine why. Okay, maybe because I was 5. But watching this now was pure torture. I guess you have to be a kid to appreciate it.
½ February 24, 2013
"You don't caaaaaare."

"We care! We care!"

I am a child of the 80's, therefore this is automatic win.
January 22, 2013
A fairly dark turn for the Care Bears. However, it's been about a decade since I saw this. Hopefully, it's not as dark as I remember.
January 16, 2013
I saw this when i was a little kid growing up. I thought that it was a really good movie and really enjoyed it. It's a good film for the kids.
January 8, 2013
I don't know if I want to see it or not....
December 31, 2012
Yeah, i still like the movie...what of it??
December 16, 2012
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
November 1, 2012
I loved this movie as a kid.