Carry On Sergeant Reviews

• Mar 18, 2018

True, it's only intermittently funny but there's something genuinely charming and poignant about this first instalment of the increasingly smutty Carry On series, partly because the 'team' all play secondary characters and they all look so young (well, apart from Charles Hawtrey). Great older character actors like Eric Barker and William Hartnell play with a gravitas that adds to the comedy and it's an enjoyable diversion for a Sunday afternoon.

• Oct 16, 2014

Surprisingly good and touching, when especially I wasn't expecting much from this. This was a great intro to this mammoth collection of films.

• Jul 19, 2012

An interesting insight as to how the Carry On films began. Too early for Sid n Babs but Charles Hawtree provides the comedy in abundance. You can see the beginnings of the smuttiness creeping in, although it is a lot tamer in this than it became in later films. The film itself is alright, not great but perhaps a forerunner for many more with the same set up.

• Jul 05, 2012

The very first of the "Carry On " series. Just watched it again for the umpteenth time,on DVD. Pure nostalgia,asI enterred the Army in 1952 and the memories kept flooding back ! And a marvellous cast of British acting stalwarts.Including William Hartnell and Bill Owen.

• Mar 26, 2012

The film that spawned a generation!!

The film that spawned a generation!!

• Apr 22, 2011

The first of the Carry On films sets up some of the formula that would make the long lasting series so iconic - many of the cast and personel are there and create some great comedy moments . The humour in these early films is less brash, and there is a certain amount of warmth to the film also. Great to see William Hartnell in another role (other than Doctor Who) and for the most part this is a lot of fun, though slow to get started.

• Oct 08, 2010

In the late 50's this type of comedy was being cranked out almost weekly, but for some reason this one hit a chord and was the begining of the best comedy series ever. For me Conor and Bryan were the stars. Although the comedy was a bit lame the actors like Hawtrey, Williams and Monkhouse were so good that they still shone. The basic formula is a bunch of idiots who eventually come good and was used to great effect for the next 20 years. I have them all to watch and am looking forward to a marathon viewing.

• Jul 20, 2010

The first Carry On film with only a handful of the "regulars". The formula has been used since and slightly better in movies like Police Academy & Stripes. Merely average.

• Jul 05, 2010

"It's mildly entertaining and a nice introduction to the usual cast of actors, and thankfully the two I found to be the most amusing are the two that have starred in the most Carry On films, which gives me something to look forward to in regards to future films." Full review at: http://www.commonsensemoviereviews.com/2010/06/carry-on-sergeant-1958.html

• mirabella 1 Super Reviewer
    Feb 10, 2010

All of the Carry On films get 4 or 5 stars from me. They have been a much-loved part of my life ever since I can remember.