Das Schloß (The Castle) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Das Schloß (The Castle) Reviews

June 2, 2016
Haneke has never been the most easily accessible director and he doesn't break that trend here, he just further alienates.
½ March 28, 2015
Here's a shocker! Haneke makes a frigid cold mystery that is, while intriguing, too ambiguous and dry to really grasp onto. It's not a disaster; there is some uniqueness to the plotting and some funny-ish characters, but nothing to stave off the boredom. In one scene, the main character is fighting off falling asleep while another character drones on. Sadly, I could relate.
January 5, 2015
Satantango with a little more color and a little less misery. An existential masterpiece apparently nobody watches.
½ November 12, 2014
I saw this - trying to save a better Haneke film for a while longer - "Amour". I tend to enjoy his films. They are often as brilliant and smart as they are disturbing.
The castle is a very weird piece, where the is a constant lack of meaning.

It's based on a novel made by Franz Kafka, but he never finished it as I've figured. I read someplace that he died in the writing process. Anyhow, I believe the film is better after reading the novel. Names, houses, walks in snow, discussions. That's about it.
I get the feeling of paranoia, it's definetly present. "K" is searching for a place called "The Castle", and it's not an easy place to enter.
On his way we meet several people, but I never really care much for any of them. Too much dialogue for me going on for two hours. This is boring, and to complex or hidden for me. I don't get much, but I make up some ideas while watching it at least.
I like the fast switches of turning black, the scene cuts, but that's about it. The leads Ulrich Mühe and Sussane Lothar does great, and well, the ending - I liked that, in a way.

Incredibly lifeless, dark, boring, but still fascinating and a very original adaptation. Maybe it will grow on me, most of his films does, but so far I did not like it.

3 out of 10 snow storms.
June 13, 2014
Kafka adapted by Haneke. Faithfully frustrating.
½ April 2, 2014
A microcosm of social anxieties played out against constant external threats and isolation. Difficulties occurred because of the translating into English and I felt the constant drag of the dialog because of that. I expect it's more enjoyable with just the native tongue.
July 31, 2013
Kafka, Haneke, and a dolly
February 17, 2013
???????????? ??? ????????????. ?????? ?????????? ??? ?????? ???????. ???? ????? ????, ????? ??????? ?? ?????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ?? ???? ???? ????? ??????? ?????????? ??????????????. ???? ?????? ???? ?????? ??? ?????.
½ February 12, 2013
Can somebody please kindly tell me what the hell is going out as I am lost completely. I just find Ulrich Muhe annoying here. Maybe it's Kafka's fault other than Haneke.
Harlequin68
December 11, 2012
"The Castle" starts with K.(Ulrich Muhe), a land surveyor, arriving in a small town one night to start work for the local castle. The only room in the inn is a spot on the floor. Regardless, he sleeps well until woken by Barnabas(Andre Eisermann), the castellan, who informs him that he will need permission from the castle to stay. Thankfully, that is quickly rectified to the satisfaction of K. And soon, Artur(Frank Giering) and Jeremiah(Felix Eitner), his filthy assistants, arrive but without the requisite equipment. At least, K. can get a drink at the local beer hall where he catches the friendly eye of Frieda(Susanne Lothar), the barmaid.

In this adaptation of Franz Kafka's classic absurd novel, Michael Haneke gets certain things perfectly right, like the overall tone and the cadence of speech, aided by copious selections from the source material. That's not to mention the excellent performances. However, Haneke brings nothing visually to the table and is otherwise limited by his own success as a writer, as the same fidelity eventually works against the movie as it falls into the same trap as K.(symbolizing modernity against a feudal society) does in endlessly searching for such comforts as a job, a place to live and somebody to be with. While K. is constantly at the mercy of functionaries, known and unknown, the viewer loses track of who is who in this labyrinthine tale before it all just comes to a halt. And unless it is a Danny Kaye routine, that is not a lot of fun for anybody.
November 29, 2012
After watching this, I've now seen every single Michael Haneke movie and surprisingly this is one of my favourites. Artistically, it's probably one of his strongest, an underrated masterpiece. It's an acquired taste for sure so I don't really think it'll appeal to everyone but for sure if you like Kafka, you'll love this picture.
½ October 29, 2012
when you watch this feel you have the sam feeling that you have when reading Kafka's book
½ July 9, 2011
First off, the above description is of a different film called The Castle as is the cast list to the right. I am reviewing Michael Haneke's Austrian (not Australian) adaptation of Franz Kafka's novel The Castle. While I adore both Haneke and Kafka and Haneke remains flawlessly faithful to Kafka's novel, I found The Castle to be a bit intolerable. And frankly, I think I feel the same way about Orson Welles' adaptation of The Trial. Like Welles' The Trial, the film is incredibly stylish, and Haneke's fascination with alienation fits well on paper with Kafka. It features stellar acting, including the same pair that play the husband and wife in Haneke's Funny Games. It stays faithful to the source material even to the point of ending abruptly like Kafka's unfinished novel. But it just lacks the absurdist, bizarro magic of reading Kafka--Welles' film is the same way. Perhaps it is just because the worlds they depict do not match my visions of Kafka, but I think Haneke's film is another example of why Kafka adaptations should not be made. Perhaps if Terry Gilliam made one....
December 14, 2010
This is "Franz Kafka"
December 12, 2010
Kafka's perfectly bizarre tale of absurdity and paranoia was brilliantly absorbed by Haneke's pictures, though it may not seem his typical style.
½ October 18, 2010
yeah I just don't think Kafka will ever be my thing. I was praying for this to end
September 3, 2010
Own this but I need to read Kafka's trilogy first.
½ September 3, 2010
Somewhat a-typical Michael Haneke movie, which is in fact a direct translation of an unfinished manuscript by Franz Kafka, and the director kept every sudden cut and left the movie as unfinished as the original writings. An interesting and surreal experiment in cinema.
½ September 3, 2010
I loved this film. It's so perfectly bizarre, and the fact that it's unfinished and just cuts off in the middle of a scene is just perfect. Ulrich Muhe is fantastic as the extremely confused protagonist. My favorite scene is where K. goes to find some answers from a government official and they try to find a document in an armoire literally full of papers. And they aren't in files or boxes or anything, just in a gigantic stack. It's just great.
September 3, 2010
i dunno how to appreciate