Catfish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Catfish Reviews

August 23, 2016
Interesting and quite sad at the same time. A movie demonstrating just how better off we were without social networking!!!!
August 21, 2016
An interesting documentary about Facebookers not being who they seem to be. This started as one story and ended up quite differently.
½ July 20, 2016
This was a pretty messed up movie. Its a documentary about an internet relationship that was just a bit crazy. Honestly, it was scary. It really makes me question people and want to be more careful out there. It also shows better then anything I have seen what happens when you have to settle and you lose your dreams. Its worth a watch.
June 25, 2016
The twist wasn't as intense as the commercials made them out to be, but it was entertaining & thought-producing nonetheless. Odd they should be released so close together...this movie should be consider the Facebook Movie more so than "The Social Network."
½ June 15, 2016
I think that we are all a lot more savvy about on-line relationships these days. We've all heard the stories of dates that have been arranged via the internet and when the person shows up, the photo is about 15 years old and several kilos lighter than the person we saw on the screen. When Catfish was made, this kind of situation was less in the public eye and so watching Nev Schulman begin to converse with a young woman, first via a chatroom and e-mail and then on the phone sets alarm bells ringing. Made up of candid clips filmed by Nev's brother Ariel and a friend Henry Joost, Catfish is a compelling documentary of a modern phenomenon, the "Internet Relationship". We see how Nev and the young woman gradually form a bond, how Nev learns about a distant family and begins to construct a story that fills in the narrative. Right from the offing, as a viewer, you just know it isn't going to be the amazing romance Nev has in mind and gradually suspicions grow as the story begins to fall apart. What I was totally unprepared for was quite how the story would unfold as what happens really is so strange and compelling that I was left both stunned and moved by the plight of all involved. Catfish really drew me in and had me guessing in a way that many movies can only aspire to. Truth really can be stranger than fiction and the fact that the three young filmmakers manage to present this story in a manner that is neither judgmental or sensationalist is a testament to their humanity and maturity. Catfish is one of those documentaries that despite having dark moments and causes for concern about society is ultimately uplifting and refreshing in outlook.
May 6, 2016
Terrfying, tense, and underappreciated. We see a real life situation, with real people, and real fear as this happens in a world we live in.
½ April 30, 2016
At first I was like what a load of boring shit then at minute 25 I was like it should have ended there what an idiot then I had water in my eyes at the end.
April 26, 2016
I was surprisingly touched by the film. Whether it was scripted or not I still found the film powerful in its portrayal of a real person needing to connect with others in life.
January 22, 2016
Its timely premise and tightly wound mystery make for a gripping documentary.
½ January 4, 2016
This movie is a LOT like watching paint dry. At least watching paint dry is real. Much of this is fake.
December 27, 2015
A truly haunting film about how much, and yet how little, you can really know about anyone. Not just on the internet, but in real life too.
December 10, 2015
I had originally rated this 4 and a half stars, but the more and more I thought about it, the more pointless of a documentary it seemed to be. Though it is entertaining and I never got bored while I watched it, it just seems like a cheap student film.
November 21, 2015
When I first watched Catfish, it was because I saw Paranormal Activity 3, which I wanted to see the directors's previous film, and it was the best documentary film that I've seen. I watched the tv show for a long time, and I feel like I'll leave the show at rest, and decide to end it with a bang by watching the documentary again, where it all started. Catfish may be one of the best documentaries that I've seen, and it's definitely one of the most interesting ones. The movie gets you settled on who the main character is, and his backstory which make you understand of why he's doing this, and you want him to succeed on it. The whole mystery plot of it is really investing to watch, and when it keeps going and going, I was starting to feel unsettled. There were some funny moments in it, and you learn a bit about Megan that you understand why Nev likes her and wants to visit her. Since I watched this before and the show, I knew what the big reveal was, but I forgot there were other twists in it that got me surprised again. The one thing that I think dos better here than the show, is the emotional parts. It's not the show's fault for it, it does everything it can for an one hour show, it's just the documentary movie spends more time on it, and you understand why that person did it. You just sorry for that person, and it makes you happy when it comes to a bittersweet ending. Catfish is a terrific documentary that makes you glad that Nev Schulman got his own show, and Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost are directing movies like Paranormal Activity 3 and other stuff.
½ September 20, 2015
Even though nowadays it doesn't seem like a huge deal that this story happened, I think 6 years ago when it came out, it was an introduction to these types of people and the loneliness and isolation new social media was causing. What's great about this film is not only how much truth and reality was unraveled here, but the way the filmmakers just dived deep into it, letting the story kind of take control of their lives for the sake of the film.
August 25, 2015
Great Doc. So real and vulnerable and beautifully crafted.
July 26, 2015
A story of reality, sadness, and deception, catfish was an unknown quantity to me that sent me to sleep at the beginning, before providing a relatively gripping ending with its potentially blunt perception of today's society. Focusing on one individual who enters the online web involving Facebook and dating, the lead character becomes fascinated with his new contact, and all their family. One was a young artist who's work at such a young age was nothing short of astounding, another was an attractive model who's looks would captivate any male, and the other main acquaintance was the mother of the two; Angela, who most often picked up the phone and was the main point of conversation. Due to the distance, meeting the individuals often looked unlikely, until our lead, and his friends were in the area one day and decided to pop in to put intrigue to rest. What they found was a shocking (but true) discovery that would serve as a warning to anyone on social media or online dating. As much as this had an interesting message and a realistic storyline, it's low budget production and the slow introduction made this very difficult to get drawn into at first. There's next to no action as such, and is more of a documentary than a movie. I wouldn't say it's hard hitting, but it certainly gets its point across about the dangers of today's world, and has an interesting take on the psychology behind certain people's minds. I'm never a fan of films made entirely from the third person viewing mode as it makes it very shaky and unprofessional, regardless of how natural it may be. This isn't going to be a lot of people's cup of tea, and nor was it particularly mine. Having said that, it is a thinkers film, or one who is interested in the dynamics of the human brain. I wouldn't watch this again, as it solely represents a sign of our times, and serves as a warning message for all computer geeks out there.
March 14, 2015
I really enjoyed this and thought it was an interesting look into the world of online dating. Sure, there's speculation that it wasn't real (and at the time I didn't think anything of it but the next day I started to contemplate whether it was real or not) but that doesn't stop it from being a surprising and well made film. I felt genuinely tense at some points, wondering what the outcome would be. If it wasn't real, it was certainly still well shot and well written. Definitely a (possible) documentary worth checking out.
February 23, 2015
Depressingly predictable. Skip it.
½ February 13, 2015
A so-called thriller about real life social site connection. Maybe I'm old because I feel like I lived the same a few times already with myspace, and even with school friends. This one was more elaborate but this being in the USA, of course they are more into elaborate lies. In this case, making it less creapy, we have a middle aged married woman with three children, passing for several beautiful young woman to use a nice young man to look better to her husband. It's like so many people I connected to in myspace, but were unmasked before I would do any travel. Facebook is more elaborate and not as easy to use this way. The film is still watchable especially if you are still naive.