Catfish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Catfish Reviews

April 7, 2017
Just watch the series, more entertaining than his own story in my opinion.
½ March 5, 2017
This is a deeply moving film that explores a variety of themes. Those themes include, but are not limited to, love, deception and the fragility of people that feel isolated from the worlds they wished they were a part of.
January 24, 2017
A very interesting documentary film which i found very realistic. Its supposed to be real... i can't tell if it is or not. There's no reason that it couldn't be real... just goes to show you have to make that the person you are speaking to on the internet is really the person you think it is!
December 9, 2016
Catfish is directed by Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost and produced by Andrew Jareck, Marc Smerling and the two directors.

There is some debate on whether this film is real or fake and I thought after watching it, What do people actually think of this film? I am going to tell you what I think of it and you can either agree, disagree or sit on the middle fence. So, lets get started.

I am more leaning against the fact that this is fake as filming started so early on in the friendship when Nev (the main actor) added them as a friend on Facebook. Secondly, why is an 8 year old talking to a man in his 20's, I mean how did she get his contact details, an 8 year old should not be on Facebook anyway! She (Abby) has so much contact with him with sending him the packages. Thirdly, if someone turned up at your doorstep with obvious cameras would you be so welcoming to them and if you were cat fishing, surely you would be nervous and not openly welcoming. A few other things did stand out to the audience such as Megan not being real, The fake band and Anthony was a disabled boy the Cat fisher had to look after and the fact that Abby's personality was not real and 'her' artwork was actually her mothers. The thing that gave this away was when Nev asked Abby, "so do you paint a lot?" she replies with a short pause and "you're confusing me" instantly suggesting that her mother was cat fishing and the child had nothing to do with the incident on Facebook.

On the other hand, the things that were real was obviously Abby was a real person, The two brothers were real, The building that was supposedly a gallery for 'Abby's' artwork although they did not own it (empty for 4 years) and cat fishing does happen.
½ November 24, 2016
They used to tank cod from Alaska all the way to China. They'd keep them in vats in the ship. By the time the codfish reached China, the flesh was mush and tasteless. So this guy came up with the idea that if you put these cods in these big vats, put some catfish in with them and the catfish will keep the cod agile. And there are those people who are catfish in life. And they keep you on your toes. They keep you guessing, they keep you thinking, they keep you fresh. And I thank god for the catfish because we would be droll, boring and dull if we didn't have somebody nipping at our fin.
November 14, 2016
While it can be insensitive at times to someone who, while clearly doing some very untrustworthy things, still turns out to have a heart; Catfish's journey and message are timely, important, and mystifying.
August 23, 2016
Interesting and quite sad at the same time. A movie demonstrating just how better off we were without social networking!!!!
August 21, 2016
An interesting documentary about Facebookers not being who they seem to be. This started as one story and ended up quite differently.
½ July 20, 2016
This was a pretty messed up movie. Its a documentary about an internet relationship that was just a bit crazy. Honestly, it was scary. It really makes me question people and want to be more careful out there. It also shows better then anything I have seen what happens when you have to settle and you lose your dreams. Its worth a watch.
June 25, 2016
The twist wasn't as intense as the commercials made them out to be, but it was entertaining & thought-producing nonetheless. Odd they should be released so close together...this movie should be consider the Facebook Movie more so than "The Social Network."
½ June 15, 2016
I think that we are all a lot more savvy about on-line relationships these days. We've all heard the stories of dates that have been arranged via the internet and when the person shows up, the photo is about 15 years old and several kilos lighter than the person we saw on the screen. When Catfish was made, this kind of situation was less in the public eye and so watching Nev Schulman begin to converse with a young woman, first via a chatroom and e-mail and then on the phone sets alarm bells ringing. Made up of candid clips filmed by Nev's brother Ariel and a friend Henry Joost, Catfish is a compelling documentary of a modern phenomenon, the "Internet Relationship". We see how Nev and the young woman gradually form a bond, how Nev learns about a distant family and begins to construct a story that fills in the narrative. Right from the offing, as a viewer, you just know it isn't going to be the amazing romance Nev has in mind and gradually suspicions grow as the story begins to fall apart. What I was totally unprepared for was quite how the story would unfold as what happens really is so strange and compelling that I was left both stunned and moved by the plight of all involved. Catfish really drew me in and had me guessing in a way that many movies can only aspire to. Truth really can be stranger than fiction and the fact that the three young filmmakers manage to present this story in a manner that is neither judgmental or sensationalist is a testament to their humanity and maturity. Catfish is one of those documentaries that despite having dark moments and causes for concern about society is ultimately uplifting and refreshing in outlook.
May 6, 2016
Terrfying, tense, and underappreciated. We see a real life situation, with real people, and real fear as this happens in a world we live in.
½ April 30, 2016
At first I was like what a load of boring shit then at minute 25 I was like it should have ended there what an idiot then I had water in my eyes at the end.
April 26, 2016
I was surprisingly touched by the film. Whether it was scripted or not I still found the film powerful in its portrayal of a real person needing to connect with others in life.
January 22, 2016
Its timely premise and tightly wound mystery make for a gripping documentary.
½ January 4, 2016
This movie is a LOT like watching paint dry. At least watching paint dry is real. Much of this is fake.
December 27, 2015
A truly haunting film about how much, and yet how little, you can really know about anyone. Not just on the internet, but in real life too.
December 10, 2015
I had originally rated this 4 and a half stars, but the more and more I thought about it, the more pointless of a documentary it seemed to be. Though it is entertaining and I never got bored while I watched it, it just seems like a cheap student film.
November 21, 2015
When I first watched Catfish, it was because I saw Paranormal Activity 3, which I wanted to see the directors's previous film, and it was the best documentary film that I've seen. I watched the tv show for a long time, and I feel like I'll leave the show at rest, and decide to end it with a bang by watching the documentary again, where it all started. Catfish may be one of the best documentaries that I've seen, and it's definitely one of the most interesting ones. The movie gets you settled on who the main character is, and his backstory which make you understand of why he's doing this, and you want him to succeed on it. The whole mystery plot of it is really investing to watch, and when it keeps going and going, I was starting to feel unsettled. There were some funny moments in it, and you learn a bit about Megan that you understand why Nev likes her and wants to visit her. Since I watched this before and the show, I knew what the big reveal was, but I forgot there were other twists in it that got me surprised again. The one thing that I think dos better here than the show, is the emotional parts. It's not the show's fault for it, it does everything it can for an one hour show, it's just the documentary movie spends more time on it, and you understand why that person did it. You just sorry for that person, and it makes you happy when it comes to a bittersweet ending. Catfish is a terrific documentary that makes you glad that Nev Schulman got his own show, and Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost are directing movies like Paranormal Activity 3 and other stuff.