Chances Are Reviews

• Aug 22, 2019

The kind of movie that is great for those who like romantic comedies. Cybill Shepherd does a good job along with Robert Downey Junior. Not to mention, the choice of music for this film is pretty good.

• Aug 16, 2019

I've always loved this movie. One of my favorites for sure !

I've always loved this movie. One of my favorites for sure !

• Jun 03, 2019

My favorite movie. i just didn't like the ending.. I wanted them back together.

My favorite movie. i just didn't like the ending.. I wanted them back together.

• Mar 28, 2019

It's a classic that ages well.

It's a classic that ages well.

• Feb 12, 2019

I gave this movie a 4 out of 5 rating. This movie is great in delivering laughs and touches your hard strings without developing too deep into it. The sense of humor this movie has lightens the topic of this movie. It makes this movie doesnï¿ 1/2(TM)t have the heaviness other movies that may stumble over vexing questions of race, class, and disability. The heaviness these types of movies could have often can easily move the audiences but at the same time put an uncomfortable heaviness on the audience. In this movie, there are moments that moved me, but after watching it, there isnï¿ 1/2(TM)t any of the uncomfortableness in me, the only thing I feel is the delight after watching a great movie. I very enjoy easygoing and predictable movies, which is the reason I give this movie a 4 out of 5 rating. From about 1:30:00 in the movie the movie goes into a sad and depressed mood, this part is the only part of the movie that has a deeper feeling. The calm feeling when the two main characters reunited and the light comedy which came right after it immediately stops the deeper feeling at the right time. It gives the movie a perfect amount of deeper feeling which portraits this movie. The casting of this movie is definitely a huge part of its success. The two actors both have played the characteristics of Phillipe and Driss perfectly. With the wrong emotions shown by the actors in the movie, the feeling of the movie could change. Especially for Phillipe, the strong facial expressions that Francois Cluzet was able to play were really able to show the completed feeling a man with a disability has. The reason this move in my point of view can not get a full 5 out of 5 rating is that the main characters are a little too stereotyped. Philippe is an old, rich white man, likes classical music. On the other hand, Driss is a black man, fresh out of jail, have a huge family to support, going against the rules. These characteristics stumble over the vexing question of race, and class. The only reason why people have no huge reactions to this problem is that of the light and delighting theme of this movie, so people donï¿ 1/2(TM)t think too much into it. Other than that, this movie is pretty perfect for someone like me, who just want to watch some light comedy that I donï¿ 1/2(TM)t think too much into after a long day.

• Oct 25, 2018

This was a great movie 29 yrs ago, & pretty darn good now. Don't we all hope & long for everlasting love?!

• Apr 22, 2018

Chances Are is a charming little romantic comedy that works great, as long as you don’t put too much thought into the logic of it all. Robert Downey, Jr. is the highlight, because he brings some serious comedy and gets to play two different characters. His scenes of freaking out are the highlight of the film, and show why he is still a superstar today. The rest of the cast is also delightful, especially Cybill Shepherd who has to play someone who is going through a roller coaster of odd emotions. This movie tackles some of the same subject matter as movies like Ghost, but does it in a much more comedic way, and it works relatively well. I think it might have helped if they made the artistic decision to occasionally replace Downey with Christopher McDonald (the man who was “possessing” him.) That way we wouldn’t be thinking of him as this young kid, even though we know that’s the body he’s inhabiting. I think most of the problems that people might have with the movie come from the fact that we can’t help seeing RDJ as one character, even when he’s supposed to be the other. It raises some uncomfortable questions if you think about it too much. That being said, I’ve seen this film several times back in the day, so I’m kind of used to it and it doesn’t phase me. The whole thing feels a bit rushed, because they could have done more with this idea. Still it’s a fun movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously, and one I would recommend for those who like this genre.

• Jan 28, 2018

A forgotten gem of a film : superb.

A forgotten gem of a film : superb.

• Oct 18, 2017

• Jun 17, 2017

I don't need to be a critic to see that this late 80's movie made me cry when I was still a kid and again made me cry in my late 30s. Robert Downy was and is still the king of charm.