Chariots of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chariots of Fire Reviews

July 20, 2017
While it can be monotonous by today's standards (and I admit to feeling rather bored throughout), this still can be a worth while watch with its soundtrack and story.
July 18, 2017
Excellent telling of a story that would perhaps not have been known.
June 4, 2017
A little bit lacking in anything interesting, apart from the odd stand out scene,
½ June 3, 2017
UK classic, the film you watch during the Olympics, And that damn song you hear, but can't remember the name! Oh, Chariots Of Fire makes you feel like Jesus walking on water
½ May 21, 2017
Okay, I admit to never having watched this 1981 Oscar winner. However it is synonymous with its music score by Vangelis. The electronic chords themselves winning Best Music Oscar for the film.
In summary the film is set after World War One in the period before the 1924 Olympic Games in Paris and follows the rivalry of two British sprinters.
Harold Abrahams (played by Ben Cross) and Eric Liddell (played by Ian Charleson).
The sprinters not only demonstrate great athletic prowess but have rather devout religious beliefs.
Abrahams is Jewish and Liddell is devoutly Christian.
The degree of Liddell's religious stubbornness some might say is refusing to compete in the Olympic heats on Sunday.
The film follows the pattern of other sporting films in that it follows the ultimate triumph of the underdog.
The religious angle adds another story arc to the screenplay.
Other athletes in the periphary of the screenplay includes a young Nigel Havers.
The only other relative 'big' name was Ian Holm as an Italian Arab athletics trainer Mussabini.
½ February 28, 2017
You would think a movie about fast runners wouldn't be this slow.
February 20, 2017
I wasn't too particularly fond of this movie. Maybe if I had watched it when it frst came out, things would be different. But that's an impossibility, so let's forget about that. Overall I liked it.
February 4, 2017
I grew up on this. My mom still has the soundtrack on vinyl record. The score alone gets 5 stars. Vangelis is a genius!!

Costume, 5 stars. Had to watch as an adult to appreciate good acting.

Could easily be remade today, too...
January 31, 2017
The story of two British athletes, Eric Liddell and Harold Abrahams, their determination to succeed and how their faith and convictions sustain them. It will all come to a head at the 1924 Olympics in Paris.

Decent, but not brilliant. Story is fine but not really astonishing or that profound, unless this is the first time you've ever heard of someone remaining true to their faith and convictions. Really only memorable for the running on the beach scene, with the anthemic Vangelis theme playing over it.

Won the Best Picture at the 1982 Oscars. Was a fairly weak year, as other nominees included Reds, On Golden Pond and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
January 15, 2017
By the time the movie gets to the Olympics, it unfortunately jettisons the complex motivations of the characters in favor of a more inspirational narrative. It's not all bad, but this could have been so much more.
December 23, 2016
Shockingly no chariots or fires. Would have been better if you could tell the two guys apart and if they spent a lot less time talking.
October 28, 2016
I always like it when movies transport you to another age and I liked spending time in 1920s Britain - so atmospheric. There's also something about the time of their lives that it portrays - those young university years of hope and optimism when there's a world to conquer and the strength and fire to conquer it. All that infuses the movie with a wistful nostalgia. I enjoyed the faith of Eric Liddell and how it was portrayed, and that was what brought the real emotion to the climactic scene. And then of course the slight melancholy that comes with the juxtaposition of hearing how both Abrahams and Liddell died while cutting back to their youth, seeing them running along the beach, young and free, underpinned by the iconic theme music. A nice watch.
½ October 21, 2016
An exceptionally well-made movie with amazing backdrop of the 1920s Europe and beautifully acted even with somewhat weak story. Music - as well known - one of the best all time.
September 16, 2016
One of my all-time favorite movies. I"m not at all sure why.
½ September 12, 2016
Incredibly dull. The only thing it has going for it is the inspirational instrumental theme music. Otherwise it is very overrated. (First and only viewing - 1/23/2011)
½ August 8, 2016
Why is one of cinema's greatest scores attached to such a boring film?
June 19, 2016
People in the 1980s and 2010s have different taste in movies
½ June 9, 2016
It is certainly overrated and doesn't justify the many Oscars it won/was nominated to, but still it is technically competent (especially Vangelis' music and the film's editing) even if it is also a bit too conventional and slows down in its second half almost to the speed of a turtle.