Chariots of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chariots of Fire Reviews

April 27, 2018
Two amazing stories told together. Watch it at least twice.
March 25, 2018
A masterful classic, worthy of all of its awards.
½ March 8, 2018
You would think a movie about fast runners wouldn't be this slow.
½ February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 8, 2018
Weighed down by its moments of slowness, but ultimately not a shallow movie, and meaningful at that, as two runners compete in the 1924 Paris Olympics, one a Jew, the other a Christian, one runs for glory, the other for God.
January 15, 2018
I like almost everything about this film, and yet, I can see how many people would find it dull. I couldn't get enough and have watched it several times. The ending scenes are so well strung together, and I still get goosebumps watching it all.
December 10, 2017
I'm not into sports movies much but this one was a classic I wanted to give it a shot; I guess they used to give the oscar more easily those days because I couldn't see anything best picture worthy.
October 11, 2017
I generally love sports dramas, and focusing it on the Olympics should have made Chariots of Fire a home run. But it was sadly quite boring. I could not believe how much sitting around and talking there was in this movie about running. So many quiet and calm discussions were shared where no one seemed to care about what they were saying. They were trying to insert a thread about anti-Semitism and that fell flat since no one would come out and talk about it or act on it. There were multiple attempts to put artificial obstacles in the way for the leads, but they were all resolved without a fuss.

There is a big problem with these characters. They don?t have distinctive personalities, so it was difficult to care about them. Part of it was the acting, but I also think it was the script. I mean, I tried hard to get invested in them. In fact I found myself so emotionally detached that I actually restarted after watching the first 20 minutes to get to know the characters better. This helped me at least to be able to identify what the main characters looked like so they didn?t get lost in the crowd (which still was a struggle from time to time.) However I never connected with them.

There is so little actual running in this film, and what there is wasn?t shot well. I could never keep track of where people were in the race or who was winning until it was done. In fact the most exhilarating race is the one on the beach with that amazing iconic music, which isn?t part of the plot of the film! There wasn?t even much training or practicing of running shown, so we don?t really see them improve. The editing was fairly weak, because they lacked connecting scenes to keep the narrative flowing. And they never even closed the framing scene that started the film. Chariots of Fire wasn?t terrible, but it was a huge disappointment.
July 20, 2017
While it can be monotonous by today's standards (and I admit to feeling rather bored throughout), this still can be a worth while watch with its soundtrack and story.
July 18, 2017
Excellent telling of a story that would perhaps not have been known.
June 4, 2017
A little bit lacking in anything interesting, apart from the odd stand out scene,
½ June 3, 2017
UK classic, the film you watch during the Olympics, And that damn song you hear, but can't remember the name! Oh, Chariots Of Fire makes you feel like Jesus walking on water
½ May 21, 2017
Okay, I admit to never having watched this 1981 Oscar winner. However it is synonymous with its music score by Vangelis. The electronic chords themselves winning Best Music Oscar for the film.
In summary the film is set after World War One in the period before the 1924 Olympic Games in Paris and follows the rivalry of two British sprinters.
Harold Abrahams (played by Ben Cross) and Eric Liddell (played by Ian Charleson).
The sprinters not only demonstrate great athletic prowess but have rather devout religious beliefs.
Abrahams is Jewish and Liddell is devoutly Christian.
The degree of Liddell's religious stubbornness some might say is refusing to compete in the Olympic heats on Sunday.
The film follows the pattern of other sporting films in that it follows the ultimate triumph of the underdog.
The religious angle adds another story arc to the screenplay.
Other athletes in the periphary of the screenplay includes a young Nigel Havers.
The only other relative 'big' name was Ian Holm as an Italian Arab athletics trainer Mussabini.
February 20, 2017
I wasn't too particularly fond of this movie. Maybe if I had watched it when it frst came out, things would be different. But that's an impossibility, so let's forget about that. Overall I liked it.
February 4, 2017
I grew up on this. My mom still has the soundtrack on vinyl record. The score alone gets 5 stars. Vangelis is a genius!!

Costume, 5 stars. Had to watch as an adult to appreciate good acting.

Could easily be remade today, too...
January 31, 2017
The story of two British athletes, Eric Liddell and Harold Abrahams, their determination to succeed and how their faith and convictions sustain them. It will all come to a head at the 1924 Olympics in Paris.

Decent, but not brilliant. Story is fine but not really astonishing or that profound, unless this is the first time you've ever heard of someone remaining true to their faith and convictions. Really only memorable for the running on the beach scene, with the anthemic Vangelis theme playing over it.

Won the Best Picture at the 1982 Oscars. Was a fairly weak year, as other nominees included Reds, On Golden Pond and Raiders of the Lost Ark.
January 15, 2017
By the time the movie gets to the Olympics, it unfortunately jettisons the complex motivations of the characters in favor of a more inspirational narrative. It's not all bad, but this could have been so much more.
December 23, 2016
Shockingly no chariots or fires. Would have been better if you could tell the two guys apart and if they spent a lot less time talking.
October 28, 2016
I always like it when movies transport you to another age and I liked spending time in 1920s Britain - so atmospheric. There's also something about the time of their lives that it portrays - those young university years of hope and optimism when there's a world to conquer and the strength and fire to conquer it. All that infuses the movie with a wistful nostalgia. I enjoyed the faith of Eric Liddell and how it was portrayed, and that was what brought the real emotion to the climactic scene. And then of course the slight melancholy that comes with the juxtaposition of hearing how both Abrahams and Liddell died while cutting back to their youth, seeing them running along the beach, young and free, underpinned by the iconic theme music. A nice watch.