Charlie Bartlett Reviews

• Jun 20, 2019

Clever and well acted but rarely anything more than that.

Clever and well acted but rarely anything more than that.

• Apr 14, 2019

One of my favorite movies of all time

One of my favorite movies of all time

• Mar 29, 2019

Strengths: The setup for this is similar to the one for the Netflix series Sex Education and it works in both cases. The student who gives therapy sessions to his fellow troubled classmates is a good one that makes for some interesting scenarios. This is helped by the cast. Anton Yelchin (Charlie Bartlett) gives one of his better performances, Kat Dennings (Susan Gardner) is solid, and I got a kick out of seeing many of the cast members from Degrassi: The Next Generation. However, the highlight is Robert Downey Jr. (Nathan Gardner). Itï¿ 1/2(TM)s a great subdued performance from him. A nice addition to his comeback catalogue of indies before getting the Iron Man role. The script allows for plenty of fun moments, comedic stuff, and character growth from start to finish. It does some interesting things with the topic of prescription drugs and their effects on youth. Weaknesses: Despite that, some of the effects of Ritalin are way overdone. I understand what that does for people, but some of the characters take a single dose and act way over the top. It goes too far in trying to paint it in a certain light. This also had a highly disappointing soundtrack. Indie teen comedies usually deliver in that vein. There are only one or two songs that work. I wasnï¿ 1/2(TM)t big on the performance of Hope Davis (Marilyn Bartlett). Lastly, I wouldï¿ 1/2(TM)ve liked to see Charlieï¿ 1/2(TM)s eventual interaction with his father. It is a major plot point that only gets a moment in the end. Overall: With a solid script and some great performances from Yelchin and Downey, this movie ultimately succeeds. A fun teen comedy with some heart.

• Mar 17, 2019

mi pelicula favorita / my favorite movie..

mi pelicula favorita / my favorite movie..

• Sep 13, 2018

Great fantastic funny and sad at the same time movie starring the guy from star trek, the girl from 2 broke girls and Robert Downey Jr. This movie is the perfect film i need right now and I love that it takes place in high school. I will 100 percent see this movie again and yes this movie does have some plot holes especially his parents because they shouldve been deleted from it. But besides that, that's my only major concern about this movie and I had a great time.

• Jul 18, 2018

Charlie Bartlett is a coming-of-age film featuring Anton Yelchin as the titular character. He is a rich kid who gets kicked out of his private schools so he is forced to enter public school. I think the charm of Yelchin went a long way for me, because I was drawn to this movie perhaps more than it deserves. The way he develops friendships with the stereotypical characters you see in these high school movies was something different than I’ve seen from others in the genre. It was kind of heartwarming watching this kid use the resources he has to try and win over the rest of the students, despite how disturbing it would be in reality. His blossoming relationship with Kat Dennings was also a treat. Dennings continues to be someone who I find compelling despite the fact that I’m not convinced she is a good actress, and she always seems to play the same type of character. There is a lot going on in assorted subplots around Charlie Bartlett, and I’m not sure all of it was necessary. At a certain point it almost feels like the movie is shifting to focus entirely to Robert Downey, Jr. as the principal, which wasn’t a smooth transition, but he played the part so well I didn’t mind. I think they tied things up reasonably well, but the film could have been trimmed down to eliminate some of the extraneous material. The ending was a strange one because it was a blend of bitter sweet and just plain sweet, but that worked for me. I don’t think Charlie Bartlett is a great movie, and I might even forget a lot of it over time, but it clicked with me just enough for to make it a positive experience. If it didn’t have the excellent cast, though, it would probably be worthless.

• Apr 13, 2018

Great, entertaining movie detailing very real problems in the world, and growing up (like kids giving their prescriptions to others).

• Feb 23, 2018

one of Anton Yelchin's earliest and most likeable roles the tone is all over the place switching between light-hearted teen empowerment to serious drama but the performances are fun from Yelchin to Robert Downney Jr. to Kat Dennings Charlie Bartlett gets kicked out of private school and is sent to public school to start fresh his mother has to be the most chill parent out there considering his father is out of the picture and it's just been the two of them at first it's tough for Charlie to fit in but he becomes a prodigy after deciding to console some troubled students and giving them prescribed pills Charlie in a way is listening to the kids that a lot people won't he also falls for Susan who enjoys his overzealous nature and rebels against her father whom is also the principal of the school that proves another obstacle for Charlie but he believes these kids don't really need him to get by and that they should stop having one person telling them what to do because they actually have the power to do what they want it's interesting because without the pills Charlie is still a hero for all the students the independence, the ability to pick yourself up, and express yourselves your own way is the key to survive high school even at 17 it's your life that matters and what you choose to do with it, doesn't have to be just popularity still a fun film to watch with a cool, earnest look at the psychological, emotional state of the modern youth

• Oct 10, 2017

Underrated movie it has a lead with a lot of charm and it has funny moments.

Underrated movie it has a lead with a lot of charm and it has funny moments.

• Oct 15, 2016

An inferior knock-off of Pump Up the Volume, but Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant.