Charlie St. Cloud - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie St. Cloud Reviews

December 5, 2016
I enjoyed this light tale of second chances, love and hope, as much as the locale.
August 11, 2016
Sad, sad story. Charlie lost his brother and couldn't heal. I know the feeling all too well. :-(
½ June 26, 2016
Charlie St. Cloud (2010): I wouldn't call this a great movie for date night, but it is a good one that should not be seen alone. Charlie (Zac Efron) survives a car crash that takes his younger brother Sam (Charlie Tahan). As a result, Charlie's life remains frozen as he tries to deal with the grief of losing him brother. You actually get to see a different side of Efron showing depth and potential of what he could be one day as an actor. This is not a downer of a movie, even when every night Charlie meets up with his brother to talk and play catch just before the sun sets. This is the life Charlie leads until a girl, Tess (Amanda Crew) comes along and ends up having a profound impact on Charlie's life. I really enjoyed seeing this film and would have no problem watching it again. It was nice to see the seldom seem Kim Bassinger in a small role as Charlie and Sam's mother.
½ June 6, 2016
Wow so much dislike from the dumb critics on this one! Not sure exactly why though? I personally enjoyed it. Far from perfect- definitely- but a decent drama dealing with death. Zac Efron I thought was great in the lead.

Worth the watch!!
½ May 29, 2016
Eye-rollingly clichéd, cheesy, predictable and cringe-worthy. Absolute trash.
May 15, 2016
CHARLIE ST. CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF ZAC...
BUT NOT MUCH ELSE.
:: A review by Brett Epstein ::

This movie is seriously flawed. In fact, the only way it is not flawed is by the presence of Zac Efron. He can carry a movie. He is a star. I am almost embarrassed to stay that, but he has star power and hence this movie works. Because we can watch Zac Efron and say "Okay. He is extremely attractive and he delivered that line believably enough. I am having a decent time at the movies, and knew what I was getting into anyways by purchasing a ticket to a film entitled Charlie St. Cloud, so I will continue to watch and enjoy looking at Zac." So as long as you don't pay attention to the awful dialogue (especially by the dead younger brother, he is given barely anything to do from start to finish, so not only do you not care that he died because they didn't develop him, but he is not a fun presence in the film when he returns), the shady plotline (it veers all over the place as an uneven mix of "Ghost," "The Sixth Sense" and TV's "The Ghost Whisperer" - and combining these three things is wildly unnecessary), or the overdone cinematography choices (honestly... do we need a close-up of a fucking cannon every other scene? do we? do you want us to FOCUS on the cannon? is the cannon important? why can't we have more Zac and less cannon?!?) and you simply look at Zac and listen to what he's gotta say, then you would have left yourself a FINE 2-star film. Now, it that god-awful Taylor Lautner were to carry this dreary project, we may have been looking at a zero-star film...
½ April 11, 2016
The tear-jerking effects of Charlie St. Cloud.
A decent romantic movie will fill you with emotion and hook you with the slightest bit of display. The movie Charlie St. Cloud creates an intro that instantly grasp your attention and fills you with the desire and urge to continue watching. The tear jerking event that occurs in the beginning of the movie drags the mood down just to quickly raise it back up. The significance of the bigger brothers love for his younger brother is like the suspense you felt as a child when you had just awaken to see the sunrise when the moon is still out.
The brothers bond is instantly broken by the act of one nightly drive. While the younger brothers life is quickly taken, the older brothers is put on the edge and rebirthed into a wave of emotion. With this emotion came a sixth sense or a third eye as some would say. Charlie, the older brother (the dashing Zach Efron), was able to see ghost of those who have passed or were on the brink to such an act. When Sam (Charlie Tahan), the younger brother, was still in sight to others they made a deal to meet at sunset cannons every day. Charlie stayed loyal to his word and met Sam, or as Charlie says it Sammy, at sunset cannons every evening until Sam finally found the light.
Charlie is presented with a very difficult decision when the return of a former classmate, Tess Carroll (Amanda Crew), conflicts with his promise to Sam. Both mean as much as the other to Charlie yet he can not have each. Should he decide to spend more time with Tess, Sam will vanish, yet sticking in the past with Sam will eliminate his future possibilities.
This suspenseful, sentimental, heartfelt movie would be significant to the audience of those who like a rushing rollercoaster of emotional suspense in a movie. Good for a get together with girlfriends or a date night when you need to refresh your mind to the effects of love. Charlie St. Cloud is a movie full of true emotion and love, showing that if you love someone you'll do whatever it takes to keep them even if it means risking your own life.
½ April 5, 2016
I am no Efron fan, and this is not a "great" movie, but for its genre, I found it less mawkish than most. I don't understand why the reviews were so acidic in their criticism of this film. It managed to hold my interest despite my not being a fan of the sentimental death flick.
April 4, 2016
Predictable, corny and cute. Hey I like corny and cute!
½ April 3, 2016
Although "Charlie St. Cloud" is fueled by a passionate Zac Efron and gorgeous, although overused scenery, it is much to confusing and blindsided to provide a sensible story.

Charlie was a young boy who had his whole life ahead of him. He had a full ride toward College and on top of that, was a loving and affectionate brother. One day, tragedy strikes as he starts to lose everything dear to him and through a series of events, will have to find the will to move on and start a new life.

At this moment, I myself am writing a screenplay semi similar to this one, where the supernatural is combined with reality, so that's the main reason why I decided to watch this film. This film held plenty of potential, and I was actually mildly entertained by it, but overall, this film wasn't able to satisfy completely.

To start out, let's talk about Zac Efron. Efron is a large name in Hollywood due to his days in "High School Musical", and has been able to build a steady career since then. However, many of his movies have fallen far short of expectations, but although his filmography isn't the strongest, that doesn't stray from the fact that this kid has talent. He always brings a charm and likableness to his roles that makes him an easy protagonist. In this film, he brings more than a few emotional scenes where he's just completely broke down, and you can't help but feel for the guy. When put in the right role, I think Efron can easily continue to build upon his career, but for him, he must choose higher quality productions.

This movie also impressed with irrelevant, yet gorgeous scenery. It felt like there was always something that looked beautiful on screen, as they used a heavy amount of dream like scenery. Although it is irrelevant at times (unnecessary for the scene), it doesn't hurt to look at. In fact, it makes your eyes light up with joy while you watch the cinematography play out.

Although the plot is interesting enough, there ultimately isn't much depth to the film. In a better phrase, it lacks the consistency and realism to really make an impact on you emotionally. Although it's entertaining, it feels like the film jumps all over the place in an attempt to surprise you, but in the end, it just turns out cheesy and predictable.

In the end, I actually had a decent time with this movie. It's not awful by any means, but it also isn't worth going out of your way to watch. It's a great casual watch with a strong Zac Efron performance and some great visuals, but ultimately fails to supply a meaningful story. The finale really disappointed me, and since the movie really couldn't finish strong, I can't give it a fresh rating, despite the entertainment I garnered from the film.
March 26, 2016
This movie is fantasmic, like it
March 15, 2016
real sad but a really good movie
½ February 22, 2016
makes you think 'what are we waiting for'
January 30, 2016
Not a bad movie! Zac really did an excellent job I thought. The story was a little odd, but it was a nice film.
November 22, 2015
B E A U T I F U L! Loved this movie, amazing story, very touching.

Zac Efron is HOT and he amazed me one more time with his performance, he's such a great actor, he has such and hability to cry and make you cry too.
June 20, 2015
Channel surf'd & saw it this morning when I woke up. Not bad. Due to a tragic accident was given a unique gift & in turn used that gift to save the life of the girl he likes & was able to move on in the process.
June 16, 2015
I always thought Zac was just a pretty face, not really much of an actor. But this film changed my mind as he really shows is abilities here, I see now much more than a ladies man. So good
½ June 16, 2015
Why did I just watch this
April 15, 2015
Not a bad movie......Zac Efron was really good in this. Not a great movie, but it did exceed my expectations.