Chevalier Reviews

• Apr 19, 2017

A great study male ego and inherent tendency to competition. Thought-provoking and funny at the same time.

• Feb 09, 2017

A newer addition to the "Greek weid wave" as I like to refer it to. Athina Rachel Tsangari is the director and she is known from "Attenberg" and as the producer of more known films like "Before Midnight" and "Dogtooth" - two of them other movies from the same genre or classification. We're on a luxury yacht. There are six or seven buddies here, all male, most of them in their fourties or fifties. They fish, they eat, the drink, they sleep, but most importantly they compete. They compete in being best. Being best in general there is. It's known as "the game of the chevalier" or something and each of the contestants are taking notes and grading each other efforts. They also dicide what they should compete in and there are some pretty cool challenges - other are much weirder. Plusses and minuses are given, bonds are made and driven apart. There is much fooling around but the competative minds are always there - just like real life when it comes to men, really. The rivalry truly hits the spot! A funny and very original film with a plot I really admire. At times it's a bit flat, but it got solid moments too. Very likable characters and very steady acting. It's lovely shot too. Maybe a bit long, or maybe duller sequences should be funnier or more interesting, but in total a very fresh film. 7 out of 10 bottle shaped eggplants.

• Oct 30, 2016

Singular estudio sobre la conducta masculina, lo curioso que està dirigido por una mujer. Lo mejor del 2016.

• Oct 23, 2016

Childish overcompetitive men.

Childish overcompetitive men.

• Jul 31, 2016

Cleaver, sarcastic exploring masculinity in a very intelligent way. I am liking the New Greek cinema. Go see it!!

• Daniel P Super Reviewer
    Jul 21, 2016

Both blackly funny and oddly moving, this strange but affecting film in the end doesn't really go anywhere, but it's fun while it lasts.

• Jul 16, 2016

one to purchase. I'm sure some will find it rubbish.

one to purchase. I'm sure some will find it rubbish.

• May 28, 2016

very strange. the central conceit gets boring very fast.

very strange. the central conceit gets boring very fast.

• May 12, 2016

I like to see where the positive challenge between men leads !

I like to see where the positive challenge between men leads !

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Apr 02, 2016

I saw this at the Cleveland International Film Festival. A female director, Athina Rachel Tsangari, gives her perspective on the machismo and one-upmanship involved when men get together on a sports outing like a fishing trip. Six Greek men, in this case, only have each other for company. It was difficult to determine exactly the relationship between all the men. Perhaps something was lost in translation. I could be wrong, but I think two of the older men are brothers with a family friend who is like a brother tagging along, then the patriarch has three grown sons. Dimitris (Papadimitriou) stands out as the awkward, overweight, possibly youngest, goofball of a brother who struggles to compete with the other smarter, more agile, more testosterone fueled men. They compete over every little thing, uncover family dysfunction, and show off their egos. It becomes one dimensional. It is not an environment that I find at all pleasant, so sitting through almost two hours of it became uncomfortable. I wanted to find some deeper meaning, but there is not much here except to show that the bonds of blood barely hold together when put through such unrelenting competition.