Cheyenne Autumn Reviews

• Oct 30, 2020

White guys in black wigs playing Indians. Should be remade with First Nation actors in the roles of Native People.

• Jul 18, 2020

It's nothing special despite it's well meaning story.

It's nothing special despite it's well meaning story.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best Western movie ever made!

The best Western movie ever made!

• Jun 30, 2017

Great American director, John Ford, brings to the screen an homage to the American Indian with this, his last epic. The idea was brought to Ford by Richard Widmark years before, and Widmark was rewarded by being cast in the lead role, heading an excellent cast which included Carol Baker, Karl Malden, Gilbert Roland, Ricardo Montalban, Sal Mineo and Dolores Del Rio. Appearing as "guest stars" were the always excellent James Stewart, and a personal favorite, indomitable Edward G. Robinson as the Secretary of Defense. This was the pinnacle of Widmark's career, as he had major roles in three best film nominees in four years (The Alamo, Judgment at Nuremberg, and How the West Was Won) and was a the time a major hollywood star. Cheyenne Autumn is a ravishingly beautiful, exquisitely detailed movie. A magnificent recreation of a time and place long gone .

• Jul 12, 2016

Initially a very loose and at times unfocused adaptation of the true story from 1878 of Cheyenne escaping the Reno Agency to return to homelands.This was John Ford's final film and he sort of tries to tell the story with greater compassion for Native Americans plight, but with mixed results and several very odd decisions (casting of leads, goofy Wyatt Earp scene that has nothing to do with story, stilted narration, romantic subplot, too much focus on cavalry characters, etc.) . Very flawed, but amazing landscape and certainly a shift from the wooden stereotyped portrayals of previous films.

• Mar 06, 2016

As out of place in the desert as an eagle in a cage. The Cheyenne's reserve is in the middle of the desert where they can barely survive. The United States as part of their treaty with the Cheyenne are supposed to deliver supplies. When the supplies fail to show, the Cheyenne begin dying off. They begin a March back to their homeland where they plan to settle since the white man broke their treaty. A military sergeant initially assigned to contact the Cheyenne decides to help them on their conquest. "The trick to being brave is not to be too brave." John Ford, director of Grapes of Wrath, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, Stagecoach, The Searchers, The Last Hurrah, Mogambo, The Wings of Eagles, and Rio Grande, delivers Cheyenne Autumn. The storyline for this picture is very well done, well written, and worth following. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes James Stewart, Carroll Baker, Karl Malden, Arthur Kennedy, Richard Widmark, and Sal Mineo. "From now on you don't scratch till I itch." This was recommended to me by Fios so I DVR'd this western classic. This storyline is very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, bar scenes, script, and sub plots. This isn't an all time great western, but it is worth a viewing for fans of the genre. "White man's words are lies." Grade: B

• Feb 13, 2016

Curiously uneven John Ford epic about the Cheyenne's struggles to return to the land they were displaced from. The central plot is interesting, but some casting choices (Sal Mineo and Ricardo Montelban as indians!), just totally needless scenes (yes I'm referring to you Jimmy Stewart) and other curious trivia (it looks like Edward G Robinson refused to do location shots, so we get really bad process shots instead) make this one only slightly passable.

• Feb 08, 2016

When I was a kid and bought Mad Magazine, they did one of their great satires about this movie, naming it "Cheyenne Awful." Sums it up. Nice cinematography, but just a mea culpa for John Ford, trying to make amends for his previous portrayals of Indians as brutal savages. Sad swan song for the great director.

• Nov 25, 2014

• Jan 23, 2014

A heartbreaking movie with the excellent Widmark.

A heartbreaking movie with the excellent Widmark.